FMV Opinions Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FMV Opinions part-time

Pros

Really good internship - great mix of modeling and research.

Cons

Corporate culture, but easily manageable.

2. "Terrible people, terrible culture"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't any. The place was run by self-serving people who lied to my face. They didn't care about anyone but themselves.

Cons

People are some of the worst I've ever met. I was lied to about compensation and had my commission taken from me by a manager because he felt he deserved it.

Advice to Management

Clean house

3. "Associate"

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time

Pros

solid company culture, lots of work

Cons

ok work-life balance, difficult manager

4. "Disappointing Experience..."

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart colleagues, interesting work, opportunity for upward mobility

Cons

Lack of respect for lower level employees, high turnover (see "lack of respect"), zero transparency. Virtually all former employees found new roles or were let go following announced merger with new valuation firm.

Advice to Management

Too late now. Very upsetting.

"Dishonest Management - Crashing Business"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good locations in great job markets (Orange County, NYC). Some exposure to financial modeling, but no real training. Still, better than nothing if this is what you want to do.

Cons

INCREDIBLY dishonest management group - actually just "management" now since it's no longer a group left. Virtually all of the (non-toxic) senior people have left, including THREE of four partners. Yup, no longer a partnership, just a sole proprietorship. And what a proprietor...wow. The reviews on here that give them 5 stars and praise the CEO are guaranteed fakes (written by HR).

The number of people who have been blatantly scre*** out of promised compensation here is endless. Promises made should NEVER be counted on. If they think they are better off cheating you, they most DEFINITELY will do so. Honesty is not a value here.

The "culture" primarily consists of senior staff elbowing each other (and especially the more junior guys) out of the way for "credits" (for production, sales, referrals). For some of the more toxic ones, it's literally a full-time job. And it works! Throughout the years, the best route to good (ok, not horrible) pay and advancement here has always been to stab your co-workers in the back. Imagine how fun this place is to walk into in the morning :)

Career opportunities are non-existent since the company is shrinking. Rapidly.

Advice to Management

Last guy out turn off the lights, please, let's at least try to save the environment a bit.

6. "Good People and Interesting Work"

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time

Pros

A lot can be learned. The assignments can be very interesting and there are some great people to learn from. Good work and hard work is often rewarded.

Cons

Individuals usually need to take initiative to establish a career track and growth within the organization. Long hours and tight deadlines occur during certain times.

7. "Interesting Work, Limited Growth, Cheap Management"

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time

Pros

*Co-workers are generally friendly and smart
    *The work is interesting
    *Really nice work-life balance
    *Depending on where you are in the firm, there can be a nice amount of autonomy

Cons

*Management is incredibly cheap; salaries are far below market and bonuses are small.
    *Management is very slow to promote from within.
    *Management is incredibly smart and hardworking; however, many of them have no business running an office-- they let their egos run wild and are unpleasant to work with; this is particularly true of one individual (anyone who works at FMV knows who this person is) who single-handedly creates a toxic work environment and continuous turnover.

Advice to Management

I witnessed a ton of turnover while working at FMV, most of which was completely avoidable. The company will save a boat-load of money in the long-run by paying their employees a competitive salary, and reigning-in a couple Managers with out-of-control egos.

"Strong Valuation Firm with Top Talent"

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment, heavy exposure to diverse set of valuations, extremely smart group of individuals, solid career progression opportunities. Strong management team who looks out for their employees. Good place to work.

Cons

The firm is faced with middle turnover at time due to strong and applicable experience gained in lower entry-level positions.

"This company is, by far, was the most intrinsically dysfunctional from the top down."

I worked at FMV Opinions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are loyal, hardworking and honest employees. The office is aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

Greed, avarice, systemic disregard for growth opportunities within. There is little mutual respect, mentorship, and a team environment.

Advice to Management

Read these reviews and implement substantive changes. Get fresh blood and leadership. The work product is good. The negative morale is a cancer that permeates on every level. And stop orchestrating "positive" reviews to counter what the reality is. It will only benefit your success in the end.

"Truth of Employment"

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

Pros

While I worked here I was considering getting a divorce and dedicating my life to boring financial work that required screwing people over in order to turn a profit so I knew I was in the right company. For some reason I chose another road.

Cons

Poisonous, ratty office atmosphere.

Zero class.

Read on and remember to read between the lines for the real story.

Advice to Management

Look at all that you've accomplished...