FOCUS Brands "free food" Reviews | Glassdoor

FOCUS Brands Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated Apr 2, 2018

FOCUS Brands CEO Steve DeSutter (no image)
Steve DeSutter
Pros
  • "Fun events at work, free food, colorful workplace, fun coworkers, laid back environment(in 6 reviews)

• "Very high energy working environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little career growth opportunities(in 4 reviews)

• "Snakes are everywhere and trust no one, confiding in HR will only get you in more trouble and repercussions will ensue(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Decent"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at FOCUS Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture Relaxed dress code lots of free food fun working environment decent benefits

Cons

limited room for advancement constant turnover some brands do not have clear direction for future

FOCUS Brands2017-10-05

"HR leader will be the company’s downfall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at FOCUS Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people are nice (depending on your department) You can wear jeans Pretty building Free food & samples (at times) Fun culture

Cons

Open concept floor plan attempts to “promote collaboration” but all it does is promote distraction. Good luck finding a conference room...people book them back to back every day because you can’t concentrate in the open floor plan (that’s supposed to promote collaboration). The Chief Human Resource officer doesn’t belong in HR because he demonstrates a complete lack of concern for the employees. Ironic, isn’t... it? He won’t give you the time of day unless you’re an executive; he won’t even say hello. He rewrote the employee handbook and slyly reduced vacation for existing employees. He also killed the benefit of getting paid out for your unused vacation. So big tip: use all of your time off before quitting. They may tell you they’ll pay you out but they won’t. It’s pretty bad when you can’t even trust the 1 department that’s supposed to help the employee. That was my single biggest lesson from FOCUS: don’t trust HR! There are a few good eggs in HR but when the one at the top is bad it ruins it for everyone.

Advice to Management

Get a new Chief Human Resource officer. Trust me when I say most people there agree he has done more harm than good. All you have to do is see how much turnover there is. That falls squarely on the shoulders of his department!

FOCUS Brands2018-02-19

"Not So Focused On the Brands"

Current Contractor - Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at FOCUS Brands for more than a year

Pros

Friendly Environment, Free Food, and Somewhat Learning.

Cons

Growth, Respect, Work Space, Communication, Disorganization.

Advice to Management

The reason why people leave this company is the lack of growth. Not only that alone the blatant lack of unprofessionalism here is far to much. The different departments do not communicate with each effectively which causes a hardship on everyone. It seems that they are only focused on money and not the workers themselves, its always "budget" which leads to employees leaving after seeing others progress when they... were promised to move up too. There are alot of "clicks" that reside in the building which is something else the is a hinderance on the company itself, although it is a fun work environment the employees themselves are not respected nor are the valued within the company. The facade that the company itself puts up is horrid. I do wish that the company succeeds but at hopefully a better pace in which it is doing now.

FOCUS Brands2018-04-02

"Career-Ending Position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at FOCUS Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun Atmosphere Free Food Beautiful Building Nice Amenities Company Parties and Celebrations

Cons

No Career Growth Favoritism No Clear Direction Juvenile/High School Atmosphere Career Ender

Advice to Management

Promote qualified employees from within. Stop promoting unqualified people into Director roles or hiring unqualified external candidates. Too many people are Directors so the titles do not mean anything.

FOCUS Brands2017-11-03

"Great Place!"

Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at FOCUS Brands

Pros

Lots of positive energy. There's free food somewhere almost every day.

Cons

It's a toss up as to whether or not you'll end up with an intern supervisor who will give you meaningful work and really work to educate you in your department. If you do get a good manager the experience is great; otherwise you will end up with little to do and little to show for at the end of it.

Advice to Management

Include specific, pointed projects for the interns who come in. Use their skills to take the company further.

FOCUS Brands2017-06-27

"Ehh....It's cool but after a while, you'll want more."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at FOCUS Brands full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun events at work, free food, colorful workplace, fun coworkers, laid back environment. It's actually a really fun place to work, I really like being here. The CEO is pretty laid back and easy to talk to and super friendly. The pay is decent (depends on if you have a cheap manager or not...I have a cheap manager so, I'm not making what I should be making). The benefits are good, work life balance is really nice.... The atmosphere is laid back..jeans everyday, sandals, etc. I haven't worn "business" attire since I've been here.

Cons

90% of leadership needs to be replaced. There are people in Director rolls who do not qualify for their position. Although it's fun to be at work, you have directors and managers in several departments who lack the ability to properly guide/lead their direct reports towards their goals. Turnover is high because instead of promoting within, outside talent usually holds more precedence. Managers sell new hires this... dream of how their job will take them this far and when the employee actually starts working and settles in, they see that it's a lie. You have to know the right people to get ahead. If you're looking for a regular 9-5 job where you can come and go and be comfortable, then this is the perfect company for you. If you're looking for a ladder, this isn't the place you want to work. There are some managers that actually do a great job, but as time goes on, even they notice the nonsense going on behind closed doors and they end up leaving. Had a convo not too long ago with coworkers who have been here about a year and some change and we all came to the same conclusion: "I feel like I'm getting dumber working here...like..it's not fulfilling anymore". Your first year is pretty awesome, you're learning your role, meeting new people, going to events. But once you get settled...you realize that the ladder you hoped for kind of doesn't exist. But...because you're coming to work in jeans and tshirts and everyone is laid back, it kind of doesn't bother you but...it kind of does bother you. If you're fine with being mediocre and stagnant, this is the perfect place to be! If you want to do more, then work here for one year, gain the knowledge you can, then leave.

Advice to Management

Start revamping (replacing) leadership in the HR and Accounting Departments. Learn how to retain great employees..DUH! Are you not looking at the retention rate???

FOCUS Brands2017-05-05