FS Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Forman

1. "Internal Sales"

Current Employee - Internal Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Internal Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at FS Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, a lot of opportunity for those willing to work hard. The benefits are awesome and it's a growing organization but is still small enough that you know most of your colleagues and have access to the C Level execs. Innovative products to offer.

Cons

Dealing with a tough regulatory environment. Sales have slowed since 2013-2014, but newer products should turn that around.

Advice to Management

Keep showing your employees you care about them.

"Regional Sales Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at FS Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Differentiated products with strong distributions partners. Community outreach opportunities and health & fitness programs for home office employees are nice benefits.

Cons

Culture has dramatically changed over the last 18 months and is no longer a strength of the company. Employee morale is now at an all time low. Non-competes are also very stringent and can inhibit future employment if you leave the firm regardless whether the separation is voluntary or involuntary.

Advice to Management

The firm has become too top heavy with senior roles that have been added over the last two years and management is spending too much time trying to justify their positions rather than managing the firm for the long term. Company morale is suffering greatly as a result.

3. "Awesome Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at FS Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salaries and incentive structures, gym, nutritionist, and free meals every day. People are attractive and friendly

Cons

The industry is not doing well lately and all salespeople have seen their salaries drop dramatically because of it.

Advice to Management

keep on helping the employees grow, and give them more incentives not to leave the company just for more pay

"Sales/Researcch"

I have been working at FS Investments full-time

Pros

I have had four jobs in my career and this is by far my favorite. The firm has a great culture of health, fitness and family, in addition to hard work. These collectively, sets the tone for great work-life balance and a great team environment. The work is very fulfilling, it is about making investing fair and helping the average investor. Certain days it actually feels a bit noble, like it has meaning. The firm is pretty progressive for a financial firm.

Cons

As regulations change and client appetites for different products change, the firm constantly has to adjust. This is frustrating, exhilarating and challenging. Some of the legacy management is in a little over their head at this point. But the firm has done a good job of bringing on some strong new talent like the CIO, Head of HR, Head of Business Development, and some talented new sales people , amongst others.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, don't be afraid to move reporting lines and roles. Do a better job of training and education.

6. "They take care of their employees and then some!"

Current Employee - Client Relations Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Client Relations Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at FS Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Complimentary healthy snacks and lunches every day
    Generous PTO
    Flexible management style
    Spends a lot of time on hiring to ensure quality employees

Cons

Only locations in Philadelphia and Orlando

"Growing company, great culture"

I have been working at FS Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with a true vision to be industry leaders in multiple capacilties. Additionally, never in my career have I seen a company that places such a premium on both personal and professional growth.

Cons

Moving offices to the Navy Yard in Feb 2015 increased everyone's commute time, but the move was necessary due to previous space constraints

8. "Intern turned employee!"

Current Employee - Corporate Accountant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Corporate Accountant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at FS Investments part-time

Pros

It may sound cheap, but this has literally been a life changing experience for me. I started off as an intern, and have continued working here at Franklin Square since resuming classes at Drexel. I know for a fact that if I were doing my co-op (internship) experience at any other company, I would not have come as far as I have in the past 9 months – professionally, academically, and mentally. It really allowed me to put my remaining time before graduation into perspective. Since jumping on board with the “High Performance Mindset” and Franklin Square’s corporate culture, I have made some much needed lifestyle changes that would have never happened if I had not been here and been exposed to it. And it didn’t stop at exposure. Coming to work every day, I truly feel encouraged to be my “best me” and not just the best employee that I can be. My colleagues alone motivate me more than anything else ever has. Even though the culture is very collaborative and open, I know my coworkers are exceedingly good at what they do, and they take it seriously. Every single day in the office I feel challenged, and I leave every day feeling satisfied and know I learned something in the process. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I have been given, and Franklin Square was exactly what I needed to take the last step into becoming a young professional. After being here, I have absolutely no desire to “weight my options” for where to start my career after graduation.

Cons

After 9 months, I truly don't have a single bad thing to say about this company.

9. "Fantastic Opportunity"

I have been working at FS Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

can easily start with the benefits in place (food, gym, wellness focus, etc.). investing in their employees with continued education along with the health. continue to try to nurture growth and looking for ways to continue to promote their best people. the opportunities to innovate in the space are boundless and the eye to the future is there.

Cons

growing pains are certainly evident, as you'll find with any company expanding at such an aggressive clip. pains are realized and corrected if it's not working correctly.

Advice to Management

be way of internal politics. waters can be cloudy.

"Phenomenal Career Growth"

I have been working at FS Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at FS is unbelievable. It is a hybrid between Wall St work ethic with Silicon Valley thought leadership. Free food, gym membership, personal nutritionist. Health and wellness are at the forefront. Career growth is encouraged because as a continually expanding industry leader, new roles continue to evolve and young talent has the ability to progress through merit. It's great to have the opportunity to learn from a quality/reputable management team.

Cons

The culture should be embraced. If an employee refuses to underwrite the idea that they should live their highest quality life and be their best self, then they may view the culture as overwhelming. FS hires employees who want to not only better their career, but seek to better themselves.

11. "Amazing Internship"

Current Employee - Marketing and Finance in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing and Finance in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Really great firm. Super smart people who really care about your personal experience and helping you advance. I have already learned more here, than at my last 3 internships combined and one of them, was at one of the largest tech firms in the world.

Cons

I have not found any yet. So far the experience has been great. I will let you know if I do.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in young talent. We need what you teach.