FSA Records Examiner/Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
John Houck
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance, minimal stress (in 8 reviews)

• It's a very rewarding experience working in Federal Government offices as a contractor (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very limited room for growth (in 9 reviews)

• There are no raises, unless you were to apply to another position (in 9 reviews)

"My termination was unjustified"

Former Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at FSA (Less than a year)

Pros

The workplace; you may get paid extra for where your contract location is. The company (FSA) is great to work with; the hiring process was a little lengthy but that is expected when they are conducting an extensive background check.

Cons

I was terminated due to someone not taking responsibility for their action; I was pretty much the scapegoat of the situation. Seeing how I was the new hire for that contracted position, they needed someone to blame and fire and that happened to be me. I would definitely say that I feel cheated and I am appalled that someone would actually do that. The people that I worked with had the "buddy" system and they could never make mistakes. There was definitely more than a work relationship between the two individuals I was observing.

Advice to Management

Conduct ethics training bi-annually to those who are in supervisor positions. Also re-emphasize that your work relationship with others should just remain professional and not look like they are showing favoritism.

FSA Response

Nov 9, 2017 – HR Director

We regret learning of issues with your former employment, and would welcome the opportunity to look into your concerns further. FSA has an open door policy, and several avenues to address employee... More

2. "REA"

Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at FSA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

close-knit, make own hours, little over sight

Cons

little direction, lots of detail work

FSA Response

Mar 20, 2017 – HR Director

Dear Current Employee - we appreciate your review! It appears that you have some flexibility in your position, which you appreciate. FSA has an open door policy, so if you find you have questions... More

"FSA review"

Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst
    Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst

I have been working at FSA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good atmosphere, good communication between management and employees

Cons

Set pay that sees no increase, no telecommuting, questionable leave policy when government is closed

Advice to Management

Reconsider telecommuting and leave policies. Provide more incentives when AWD is not increased provide more growth and opportunities to the best employees across all contracts and agencies, not just within current agency or team

4. "Seems great at first, but the..."

Former Contractor - Records Examiner/Analyst
    Former Contractor - Records Examiner/Analyst

I worked at FSA as a contractor

Pros

Benefits and salary can appear attractive to someone just out of college. Flexible schedule allows for time to be made up instead of taking sick/vacation. All work stays at the office, so you aren't taking work home with you.

Cons

Benefits and salary appear attractive, until you realize that your wage is tied to Gov increases. Never saw a salary increase while there. FSA will offset this with a $500 bonus (pre-tax) to show their "support." The benefits have been increasing in cost while coverage falls. FSA touts your position as a stepping stone to join the company you'll be working for but that's inaccurate. You're an outsider and are treated like any other external applicant. The only way to "progress" in FSA is to live/work in DC. If you're anywhere else, you're out of luck.

FSA has very poor communication with employees that aren't at FSA Headquarters. If you are out in an agency office, you're on your own. When you do get information, it's murky and not helpful. I was with the company for the shutdown in 2013, and nothing was communicated and it was smoke and mirrors from upper management. You very quickly get the idea that even though you're an FSA "employee," you are in reality a contractor. Don't expect them to support you or reach out in any way should the nature of your contract change. You'll simply be let go, and you'll get a letter in the mail a week later.

There's a massive disconnect with FSA HQ and what is going on in the field. They have no idea that you're constantly asked to do more than your contract dictates, and that refusing to do the tasks only makes your job/relationship harder.

Advice to Management

Clue in to the fact that you have a vast workforce, one that is dynamic and wants to be involved if only you'd reach out. Give them information as it comes, allow us to use all of our potential, give us training that is worthwhile and not limited in scope. If things go sideways with an employee - contract changes, office politics/drama, polygraph issues - be there and support them. They are the reason that you continue to have a Government contract.

"Have an exit plan when you start"

Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at FSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good starting job to build up some office experience.

Cons

Wrote too much initially to fit in the posting... In short, pay is as low as they can legally get away with, there is no growth opportunity, and HR is a mess.

This company does nothing to engender my loyalty. I'm actively searching for other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Peg wages to merit and offer opportunities for growth and development. That's what real contracting companies do.

"Records Examiner Analyst"

Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at FSA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company and great experience.

Cons

Annual increases are very rare.

Advice to Management

Work on the annual increases. Lives change therefore bank accounts need to change.

"Records Examiner Analyst"

Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at FSA (Less than a year)

Pros

Consistent reliable work and relaxed environment

Cons

Workload can sometimes be heavy due to personnel being down

Advice to Management

Better Management

"Average contractor"

Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst
    Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst

Pros

Work duties look good on resume

Cons

No room for growth or salary increase

"Records Examiner/Analyst"

Former Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at FSA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to get foot in door of Government Agency an show what you can do.

Cons

Never saw Regional Manager. No defense against bad Government QAE. Constant contract uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Don't just take the QAE's word about quality of work. Usually they have an agenda.

"No upward mobility"

Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Records Examiner Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at FSA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Your experience will be determined entirely by the office you're assigned to and your FSA Supervisor in the office (if you have one).

Cons

No upward mobility. All yearly pay increases are controlled by the Department of Labor; there hasn't been an increase in nearly four years.