FTD Reviews | Glassdoor

FTD Reviews

Updated June 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good Work Life balance is allowed (in 10 reviews)

• Many have flexibility and it's a good work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • an hour for customer service work (in 13 reviews)

• The customer base Provide Commerce had was always so appreciative to have an American English speaking call center at their disposal (in 10 reviews)

1. "Senior Web Operations Coordinator"

Current Employee - Senior Web Operations Coordinator in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Web Operations Coordinator in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at FTD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good culture, and great moral within the company

Cons

Reorganization of the company cause some layoffs in Jan 2017

Mar 1, 2017 – Sr Director, Talent Management and OD

Thank you for your post. We appreciate your feedback and observations on your experience at FTD. We agree that we have a strong culture that consists of great people and teamwork. We're innovators ... More

"Great Environment and Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Pros

- Focused on becoming more innovative and customer focused
    - People-centric
    - Laid back environment but still delivers strong results
    - Exciting plan for the future

Cons

There is still work to do to further integrate our different locations but it's heading in the right direction with the commitment of the leadership team.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and push to create an innovative, bottom-up environment. It seems like there are a lot of exciting things that lie ahead for our organization!

Nov 18, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your FTD experience! We have evolved into a premier place to work because we have a casual yet fast-moving environment. Our proactive, progressive ... More

"Great team work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at FTD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, pleasant co-workers, teamwork is very strong here. Cooperation and problem solving is strong.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility / promotion opportunities.

Advice to Management

With so many skilled people working for FTD, its really a shame that there is no mentoring program to keep skilled team members at FTD. No mentoring program displays lack of investment in employees, and if those employees believe that the employer does not care, they will move on to one that does.

Nov 2, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding working for FTD. We appreciate your sharing some of the positive aspects of working for FTD, including teamwork, cooperation and a ... More

"CUSTOMER SERVICE REP"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL

Pros

Nice environment, quick training class where it's just note taking and learning the basics , 2nd week of training is called "nesting" where you get a 20 hour work with with reps that have been working there for years. Nice center with friendly co workers and managers.

Cons

No cell phones allowed on the floor have to go all the way downstairs with limited seating areas.

Nov 18, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time, as a new seasonal employee of FTD, to share your perspective on the training you’ve received, as well as the friendly interactions you’ve had with your colleagues and ... More

"It was awesome..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FTD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, casual environment, half day summer Friday hours, convenient location.
    Although this company (formally Provide Commerce) use to be amazing, since the merger with FTD a lot of employees are feeling the culture shock of moving to a public company. That being said, if you have worked at any other large corporate companies, this place is much better then them! It's just different from what this company use to be.

Cons

What use to make this company awesome, was the people! We had some of the smartest and most innovative people in the e-commerce industry. Unfortunately due to the merger we have lost a lot of leaders and have not been able to replace the talent. FTD is not a very forward thinking company and lacks the ability to come up with a clear strategy for the future of ProFlowers.

Advice to Management

In order to obtain talent there must be some sort of flexibility and creativity needed in the work place. When you are competing with other tech/e-com companies that offer more benefits, you have to stay relevant. Invest in your employees and the business will strengthen. Until that changes, I would deem this place a black hole.

Nov 2, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback - I’m sorry that your experience with FTD has not been what you had hoped for. However, we continue to solicit feedback from both our employees ... More

"Perks?... Where we're going we don't need perks..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FTD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A few people on the management team seem to finally realize that this company is heading for rock bottom. They also seem to be enjoying the ride.

Cons

Read the Glassdoor article titled "7 types of companies you should never work for". FTD gets a solid 5 out of 7 and I think most employees would argue that it's more like a 7 out of 7.
    1) The High Turnover Outfit – check! We’ve lost a LOT of talent.
    2) The Culture Clash Corp- double check. FTD and Provide Commerce are like oil and water. San Diego and Chicago teams go together like peas and toothpaste. Management has done nothing to bridge these gaps other than more org changes, which only further divide the teams.
    3) The Curb Appealer - Questionable... it's a well-known fact that this place went down the tubes quite some time ago. I think the curb appeal is long gone.
    4) The Top-Heavy Business - YES! Holy cow!
    5) The Perpetual Promiser - Yahtzee! Look at the rating trends on Glassdoor. Each quarter that passes without any effort at improving things translates into the slow downward trend. Employees here have stopped hoping that things will get better.
    6) The Stagnator- Pretty much sums up our career options here. Most upper positions are filled out of the Chicago office (downers grove). Look at their current open positions.
    7) The Directionless Ship- BINGO! This one is the winner. FTD has struggled with running an ecommerce company since they acquired us. Rather than try and learn from the people that know they got rid of them. Trying to shoehorn a B2C ecommerce giant into a B2B service provider model is never going to work.

Advice to Management

1) Address turn over- why are our people leaving? What are other companies in the area offering that we are not? Surely it can't be a matter of people are leaving "just because" or "they just don't like us". You know it is a pain to start over and most people would rather stay than go.
    2) Address culture. There are good people at DG and the teams would do much better together if management would take a step back. Sometimes the coach has to call a play, sometimes he has to trust that his players on the field see the path to the goal with a better perspective.
    3) Curb appeal- stop with the half hearted "marketing" attempts.
    4) Your mid-level management team (Sr Managers and Directors) are the biggest wedge between employees and upper management. They keep the upper management inaccessible. They'll tell you they don't, and you'll respond with a 'you can always stop by', but the reality is that middle managers are not fostering collaboration and teamwork up or down the ladder.
    5) Focus on one area that will net the biggest gains. I suggest communication. Communication is more than an email. It is inclusiveness to all the employee partners at FTD.
    6) Hire the right employees and groom them to become the right managers. Invest in training. It costs less in the long run. I hate spending $30 to change the oil in my car, but I know that is cheaper than buying a new car every year.
    7) understand that you have two VERY different businesses on your hands and celebrate that. Our company growth will be limited if you try and tightly cling to one set of reigns.

7. "Datacenter Tech"

Current Employee - NOC Technician in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - NOC Technician in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at FTD (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right place to work and supporting management.

Cons

May need to avoid favouring friends to get promoted instead of performance basis.

Oct 17, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review of your experience working in IT at FTD. We’re happy to hear that you feel that FTD is a good place to work and that you have supportive management. We believe ... More

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at FTD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Centrally located and easy to get to.

Cons

Too numerous to go into. Very poor management. If you are consideing working here, take time to look through all reviews. Ftd had very low overall ratings until recently. It appears as though they have become proactive in improving their rating by injecting false positive reviews or requesting some favored employees to submit positive reciews. Having worked here a number of years, i can vouch that this is not an employee friendly envirement. They have very large hr staff because of all the firing they do. Then they have to replace them. Churn and burn mentality.

Advice to Management

Why waste words? You wouldn't listen anyway.

Oct 25, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We’re sorry to hear that your experience during the years that you worked for FTD was not what you had hoped it would be. We do value all feedback and continue to look for ways to improve, as ... More

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at FTD full-time

Pros

Friendly, positive, team-oriented working environment, diverse opportunity for advancement, personal and career growth. Coworkers are kind and respectful. Good benefits, casual dress code and 1/2 days off on Fridays in the summer.

Cons

Collaborating with team members in different time zones and countries can be challenging. Be prepared to work longer hours and some weekend days during holidays when demand is at its peak, however, this amounts to only a few extra days per year.

Sep 9, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate your review touting the benefits of working for FTD- including our summer hours program, friendly, positive work environment, thoughtful co-workers, good benefit program and our casual ... More

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Dow, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dow, IL

I have been working at FTD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee benefits are very competitive and there's high potential for career growth. Fun and challenging work environment with talented and hard working co-workers.

Cons

Peak seasons require focus and long hours during holidays....

Sep 9, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for highlighting some of the great features of working for FTD, including competitive benefits, high career growth potential, a fun & challenging work environment, as well as our very ... More