FTI Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Document Review"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at FTI Consulting as a contractor

Pros

windows, daylight, occasional breaks, water, and time for self reflection

Cons

control, management-based paranoia, distrust, being on mute, co-workers

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was once a very entrepreneurial, interesting, and growing firm

Cons

Failed to integerate all of its acquisitions over the year, poor exectuve management led to multiple rounds of layoffs, and eventually large defections to other firms like Ankura & BRG. A lot of nepotism.

"No growth"

Pros

Free snacks in break room

Cons

Very back stabbing work place

Advice to Management

Care about your employees

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

If there were any, I couldn't find them. Unless a pro is being constantly screamed, simple mistakes made into the sinking of the Titanic and if the coven knew who was doing what, it would have run smoothing. Clowns leading the circus.

Cons

Just because you think you is the big boss, once is a while, shut your mouth and listen to those around and especially below you. A mere mortal secretary cannot control FedEx. Accusing underlings of things not their fault at the top of your lungs where the other people on the floor come to see what is going on, that's not leadership, that's harassment.

Advice to Management

1. Teach your managers to be managers. 2. Teach your managers how to speak to those under them. 3. Teach your managers to speak to those above them because the behind kissing is evident a mile away. 4. Teach your manager just because they are higher up doesn't mean they are right. 5. Teach your manners that support staff and associates have feelings; that's why crap like this is written.

"Low/No Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and great commute. Flexible work schedules supported.

Cons

Flat organization and opportunities for promotion are extremely limited. Organization lacks diversity in workforce and senior management.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and improve communications.

"Waiting for Change"

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

Exposure to global colleagues and clients
    Rich compensation and bonus packages for SMDs

Cons

Lack of organic growth
    Lack of transparency
    Values does not match the culture yet

"An Old Boys Club... Still"

Pros

I've met some great people. I can also meet great people at other jobs, I'm sure.

Cons

I read reviews that FTI was an "Old Boys Club" before joining, but was hopeful that it had changed since the review was written. It really hasn't, unfortunately. The politics are similar to what you'd find in a big firm, but worse because it is a smaller pool.

I also know for a fact that some HR concerns were completely ignored or swept under the rug.

9. "Healthcare Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arvada, CO

I worked at FTI Consulting (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to many companies and organizations

Cons

No Leadership, no work-life balance, not a team environment

"Technology Practice Unlike other Segments"

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

Owns Technology, leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant, strong individuals on project management and consultant delivery team.

Cons

Consultant driven organization, sales team is not respected or regarded as integral to success of the organization. Weak sales/pm leadership.

Advice to Management

Recognize the weakness of sales leaders, stop promoting an unhealthy corporate culture.

"Working here crushed my spirit and damaged my psyche."

Pros

lots of opportunity to learn if you get lucky.. but if not, read below.

Cons

After graduating with honors from a prestigious school, I came here feeling optimistic, capable, eager to learn, and excited. I left feeling like I would never succeed in anything that I do (in fact, I was basically told that exact thing by one of my superiors), completely worthless, and discriminated against.

I started at FTI with another male at my exact same level (I am female). As time passed and I asked for more and more work and training, none was given to me. When work did come, it was consistently given to my male counterpart. The rationale for this was that, after the first project he was given, "he had more experience, and they needed someone with experience." After 6 months of asking for training and ways to better prepare myself for potential future projects and being given nothing more than the vague advice to "get on excel and teach myself," "act interested," or to "enjoy the free time," I became less alert, bored, and to be honest, depressed.

There were several days where I went to work and didn't interact with a single person. Most people in my office were traveling for work, so that's understandable, but it definitely wasn't a motivating environment. I emailed superiors in offices across the country asking for work throughout my time there, and I kept in touch with other employees at my level to see what work they were doing and could see that I was being given much less opportunity than my peers.

In addition to my male peer receiving more work, I was also treated differently socially. On day one, one of my bosses completely refused to make eye contact with me while talking to the two of us in his office. I wanted to leave the room because it seemed like I didn't even belong in the conversation. When we were with clients, there were certain conversation topics that only the "bros" could discuss, and in one instance I tried to participate and was frowned upon by my boss. (I refer to many bosses in this review because I was never given a distinct supervisor.. therefore had no real person to go to for guidance). Most of my superiors, who were all male, were generally awkward around me and treated me more like an admin than a team member.

After I had been with FTI for some time and had become discouraged from all of these factors, I was criticized in my reviews for not trying hard enough, not putting myself out there enough, and not being interested enough. (after months of asking for advice on how to train myself and getting little input, I'll admit I began occupying myself with other things, so this isn't completely inaccurate but forgive me for being human). My "advice" after this review was again to "get on excel and teach myself things" and "act interested."

Finally, toward the end of my employment when I was seeking other jobs, I was put on a project and received absolutely zero feedback on the positive contributions I made. I was harped on for one single instance where I "asked too many questions" - 4 different people at my office, 3 of which were not on the project themselves, came to "speak with me about it." (keep in mind I was working at an entry level position and this was the first project I was assigned. with so little chance to prove myself, I became terrified of making mistakes on the work I did do).

In the review, I was condescendingly told that I would never succeed at anything if I proceeded the way I was, and I believed it. I constantly questioned what I had done wrong to end up in my situation -- to have no one take any interest in my learning or development, to have no one want to give me any work, to have no one seem to think I was capable of anything, and to be treated differently than other people at my level. I dreaded going into work, feeling obligated to "put myself out there" to people who clearly had a low opinion of me and fearing being criticized for doing something wrong.

Awkwardly, I was also told that "if I left something, such as a job, without giving it my best shot, then that is a sign of bad character." I received comments like this a lot, where people would insinuate that they thought I was going to quit and made me feel bad about it. I figured if I quit I'd save the company some money, but I guess I was doing something wrong by doing that too.

Needless to say, when I did quit, I cried tears of joy.

**I won't claim to have been the best employee for FTI Consulting and do not blame FTI for everything entirely. In addition to sexism, lack of feedback, poor management, lack of learning programs, my complete loss of interest after 6 months obviously played a factor in these above events.

Advice to Management

establish better learning programs for your new employees, do not hire employees that need training in offices where you only have senior management who are unavailable to provide such training.

FTI Consulting Response

Jun 11, 2016 – Corporate Finance Co-Leader

As the leader of the Women’s Initiative in FTI and also the co-leader of our Corporate Finance business segment, I wanted to personally respond to your story, as we take concerns and complaints very ... More