FTI Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
FTI Consulting President & CEO Steven H. Gunby
Steven H. Gunby

Cons

1. "Ok workplace, non competitive benefits and salary"

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

Flexibility to work remotely at times

Cons

Leave options (e.g., maternity leave) were poor

2. "Consultant"

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

life work balance, most of the time not busy

Cons

people are not mixed well between different groups

3. "Good coworkers, not so great at executing strategy"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very competitive salaries with decent yearly advances and a competitive discretionary bonus program. Above average employees can easily see 10 plus percent annual bonuses. Lots of PTO (more than many can actually use). Decent benefit package.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for continued advancement - especially for those who work out in the business segments as opposed to those who work for corporate.

Advice to Management

Focus on long term goals instead of worrying about how the next quarter will look in terms of EBITDA and margin. I survived four rounds of layoffs at FTI which were all due to upper management getting freaked out about margin and demanding the segments cut employees to lower costs. As a result the segments lost a lot of talent and were poorly positioned to take advantage of future opportunities.

"FTI Consulting is an okay place to work"

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. The work is challenging and interesting. IT support is spectacular.

Cons

Very little mobility. The select few "golden children" get fast-tracked through the organization. Others stay stuck in the same position for years.

Advice to Management

Don't tell your employees that their opinions don't matter. Trust your employees to do the right thing. Don't micromanage. Recognize when entire departments of employees are leaving, that it's likely the manager they're leaving and not the job or the company.

"The Little Engine That Couldn’t"

Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Annapolis, MD

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time

Pros

Good benefits by most corporate standards subject to today's healthcare options. Perks are good to personnel capable of being effectively advertised for credentials. Perfect atmosphere for limited employment term, high rotation of senior members for economical gains with fresh entries. Fantastic place to gain a wealth of knowledge to the inner workings of ethical standards for a corporation.

Cons

Extreme political divides within the company divisions, followed by social divides to a point of arrogance between management and supporting staff. HR though touting personification of ethical support, wears a thicker blindfold then Lady Justice, and I concur to another rating noting the atmosphere as toxic. Due diligence is softly spoken.

Advice to Management

Fleecing starts with an "‹F" as does FTI, how do you interpret the "T" and the "I"

7. "UX Intern Review"

Former Intern - User Experience Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - User Experience Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at FTI Consulting as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Seattle office for their product, Ringtail. The office is overall very relaxed and provides amenities such as an open kitchen with snacks and drinks. My boss was very adamant about making sure I do work that interests me.

Cons

My boss had recently moved out of state so all of my interactions with him was online which made getting work done much harder. It also made me lonely since I wasn't having that daily face to face interaction.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your boss and intern are working in person together. It bodes for a stronger interaction between the two and allows for more work to get done.

"Not bad, not ideal"

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly coworkers and supervisors, very relaxed office culture
    - Good work/life balance, 60-70 hours per week during the worst weeks and not a lot of travel

Cons

- Repetitive work, not stimulating or challenging but will take you a long time
    - Not much of a learning curve'
    - Growing field but still a very niche area of consulting, limited exit opportunities

"Software Developer/Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is flexible and work/life balance is great. The actual product is interesting with architecture and design being improved constantly. New technologies are constantly being evaluated for possible integration into the product. The product is not stagnating in its market. Teammates are friendly and personable.

Cons

Achieving bonuses and promotions is vague and not well-defined. They seem to be given only to pet employees. Reviews are of the "yes, you achieved that goal, but you could have done better" variety. Money for resources needed to make things better is pretty tight. Some employees seem to have brought a Large Software Company's "stab others in the back in order to succeed" mentality with them to FTI. Compensation is lower than industry. Insurance is of low quality and doesn't cover as well as others.

Advice to Management

Make the path to promotion and success, tight, clear and achievable, not just at the whims of Leads and direct managers.

10. "An all-right mid-sized multinational consulting firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at FTI Consulting (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues were great to work with. Office environment depends on the city you work in.

Cons

Company goes through boom and bust cycles. Company was not people-centric, though I have heard that's changed.

Advice to Management

I don't feel in a position to offer advice as it has been several years since I was employed.

11. "Big company, not quite premier yet"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get exposure to big clients, sometimes all across the globe

Cons

Work life balance, and big company rules that affect promotions, bonuses etc.

Advice to Management

Organic growth is the way to improve.