FXCM Reviews in Plano, TX | Glassdoor

Plano, TX

2.9
Brendan Callan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Smart people /peers, great ability to learn a lot for self-starter and advancement opportunities if you are willing to pursue them (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, overtime when you want it, good work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • most people not part of "the group" are unhappy and try to leave which results in high turnover (in 10 reviews)

• work politics, favorites are played, training is not consistent, poor management (in 7 reviews)

1. "A good place to grow ( almost )"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Plano, TX

I worked at FXCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is responsive and attentive. People are nice, the culture is competitive but not mean spirited. I worked there for 3 years and simply did not see a future, but I did not leave because I was dissatisfied with anything in particular. I was sorry to hear that there were dishonest practices at the highest level, but I can attest that during my time there, the culture was always appeared to be attuned to the needs of the clients and fair practices. If I were still in the same industry, I would consider working there again.

Cons

The way the culture is set up, the way you get into a different department or to a higher level is by putting on a show with how hard you can work, plain and simple. Or, find ways to inflate the appearance of your performance. I'm sure it's like that at other companies too. But it would be nice if there were advancement opportunities that relied more on training and placement based on aptitude and preference rather than using promotions and lateral movements as a carrot to extract as much toil as possible.

Advice to Management

Find ways to reward more than just sales numbers, find better ways to train internally, and you can increase the firms ability to leverage employees who have other skill sets, aptitudes and desires beyond the cookie cutter role structure.

2. "Ok company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at FXCM part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, the networking was great, getting a chance to communicate with professionals across the world. East to communicste with leaders in the company.

Cons

Very cheap company. Too many leaders in one department, no one was ever on the same page. Hard to grow within the company.

3. "Aml investigator"

Current Employee - Compliance Associate in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Compliance Associate in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, looks good on resume.
    I have had opportunity to teach myself a lot of things I can take to next job

Cons

Micro managing, very high turnover rate in many departments, poor management, not competitive pay at all, hard work not appreciated

Advice to Management

Make all management take classes on how to be managers. Stop nitpicking the little things, and listen when employees say they have ideas or are unhappy

"Waste of time. You'd rather stay an extra month unemployed than joining FXCM"

Current Employee - Anti Money Laundering Investigator in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anti Money Laundering Investigator in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Literally can't think of any. Oh yeah.. the team is usually nice - the management.

Cons

1. MICRO MICRO management : When I say this, I really mean it. I saw the reviews here mentioning about this and didn't give them much importance thinking it wouldn't really affect me but I was wrong. The micro management at FXCM will ruin your life at work and it will affect every employee. All the other Cons are a result of this. You basically need to almost function like how they exactly want you to. I felt that the management's focus was on employee's way of doing the tasks by overlooking the results that are actually beneficial to the company.

2. The management doesn't really take any ideas/suggestions for improvement. My ideas have been appreciated when given but no follow ups were provided on them and they weren't implemented either.

3. There is tonnes of favoritism here. That at least is basically how my team's(AML Compliance) managers function.

4. Underpay but I won't give this that much importance.

5. Oh yea, I never saw the concept of one on ones here. There used to be three on one every other week though.

6. The process training is disgusssting to be honest. No formalized training material is provided.

Advice to Management

All of the above cons ^

5. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

You get to learn alot about trading

Cons

The actual job is like working in a call center. You answer emails and chats and the real employees are on the phone. Not really a stimulating environment

Advice to Management

Make the interns work challenging n interesting and not just the job that no one wants to do

6. "Great learning opportunity, lacking in compensation"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great management (very knowledgable)
    -Co. is top of industry
    -flat org
    -strong strategic planning
    -great learning opportunity for industry (FX) and specific business field (ops, sales, marketing, compliance, etc)
    -productive workforce
    -diverse workforce
    -international for a relatively small company

Cons

-lack of leadership (managers are great at managing but have limited leadership skills)
    -lack of company culture (work environment is like the stereotypical office)
    -lacking in compensation: relatively low pay and ok benefits

Advice to Management

develop a company culture and invest in your employees (develop internally). Strategically in an external sense, FXCM has done so great.

7. "Wonderful Internship Opportunity"

Current Intern - Business Intelligence Intern in Plano, TX
    Current Intern - Business Intelligence Intern in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1) very professional and supportive working environment
    2) gave a lot of opportunities for interns to practice
    3) The training is very strict but valuable

Cons

need to be a quick learner to get familiar to the forex market

Advice to Management

My supervisor is very supportive and patient. And she always provides great suggestions on my project

"Great first time experience. Learned a lot about forex."

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at FXCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hands on work experience. So great people on the entry level who will work with you and support you.

Cons

Internal promotion of management leads to a cycle of nepotism and lack of quality management. Lack of possible growth in movement upward.

"Fast paced work environment, good management."

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for FXCM has been a good experience. Management is very competent and accessible. The company is full of respectable and impressive people. Keeping an eye on the forex market and knowing about trading is necessary.

This job provides exposure and opportunities that will prove especially valuable if the FX Market continues to grow in popularity.

Cons

The job is very fast paced and can be a grind. The upside to this is that anyone in this position will learn a lot, quickly.

"Exciting, Growing and Ever-Adapting Environment (Great Jump-Start to a Financial Career)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- As many reviews have already indicated this before, there is a high amount of growth you will experience here. FXCM is a fast-paced company with limitless potential. Its employees are given a high level of responsibility much quicker than could be expected at other, more bureaucratic financial firms.
    - The Partners and top executivies are very involved in the day to day and care about the employees. They know their staff, by name, and take the time to visit all of the offices. How many people can say at the associate level they individually met with the CEO and COO in one quarter? And for many, this is a weekly occurence.
    - You are working for and with very intelligent people, starting from the top. The CEO, Drew, is brilliant and the entire executive team are very savvy businesspeople. Just look at the astounding growth the company has experienced in the past 14 years. The first to go public in its industry, adapting to the industry and regulatory changes; incomparable to its competitors.
    - The product, education and service is the best in the industry; the business model is mutually beneficial to the client. You will work for the best firm in the FX market here.
    - The energy is high. Employees are excited about the product and company vision. In an ever-changing environment, there is something new everyday; definintely makes you want to come in to work everyday.
    - Entry base salary can lag the market, but this mirrors the performance-driven culture. Excellent performance is rewarded in the form of generous bonuses and annual increases. Raises tend to be from 8-15% for average to top performers. Definitely beats the standard 3% you will be stuck with anywhere else.
    - Medical plan is great; vitually full coverage on most events (no deductibles!). If you are healthy and participate in the wellness plan, you will pay only $50 a month for employee only. Can't beat that...

Cons

- Because of the fast-paced nature of the company, responsibility level is high, the company could work on bringing work-life balance to the employees.
    - The firm is still young and growing. Many managers were "home-grown" and could use some leadership development. Bringing in more experienced management from the outside will help bring perspective.
    - Again, the company is fast-growing. At sometimes staffing falls short of current needs due to a lack of forecasting in many areas. The firm could use to implement a talent strategy to avoid straining current resources... hence the work-life balance issue.

Advice to Management

As FXCM continues to undergo growth and change, continue to communicate and be transparent with your employees. Communication of the vision is the number one way to instill buy-in from your workforce. Top management should encourage trickle-down communication from middle management to the employees to ensure high morale and camaraderie.