FXCM Reviews | Glassdoor

FXCM Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Everyone was laid back and nice to talk to and you can learn a lot here as a fresher (in 10 reviews)

• reasonable hours, casual work environment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • most people not part of "the group" are unhappy and try to leave which results in high turnover (in 9 reviews)

• unreasonable request from senior management (in 8 reviews)

"QA engineer"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at FXCM (More than a year)

Pros

good salaries, good people, benefits

Cons

structure, no promotions, mediocre benefits

"Waste of time. You'd rather stay an extra month unemployed than joining FXCM"

Current Employee - Anti Money Laundering Investigator in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anti Money Laundering Investigator in Plano, TX

I have been working at FXCM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Literally can't think of any. Oh yeah.. the team is usually nice - the management.

Cons

1. MICRO MICRO management : When I say this, I really mean it. I saw the reviews here mentioning about this and didn't give them much importance thinking it wouldn't really affect me but I was wrong. The micro management at FXCM will ruin your life at work and it will affect every employee. All the other Cons are a result of this. You basically need to almost function like how they exactly want you to. I felt that the management's focus was on employee's way of doing the tasks by overlooking the results that are actually beneficial to the company.

2. The management doesn't really take any ideas/suggestions for improvement. My ideas have been appreciated when given but no follow ups were provided on them and they weren't implemented either.

3. There is tonnes of favoritism here. That at least is basically how my team's(AML Compliance) managers function.

4. Underpay but I won't give this that much importance.

5. Oh yea, I never saw the concept of one on ones here. There used to be three on one every other week though.

6. The process training is disgusssting to be honest. No formalized training material is provided.

Advice to Management

All of the above cons ^

3. "average job, average salary"

Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I worked at FXCM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

able to travel if you can do the job

Cons

needs to inject more outside talent

5. "FX Sales Broker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great place to work at and learn the ropes.
    very experienced managing team.

Cons

I didn't see any but the way they compensate employees.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work

6. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

You get to learn alot about trading

Cons

The actual job is like working in a call center. You answer emails and chats and the real employees are on the phone. Not really a stimulating environment

Advice to Management

Make the interns work challenging n interesting and not just the job that no one wants to do

"Interesting Place to Work"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in New York, NY

Pros

Good quarterly bonuses, fun work environment

Cons

Terrible Base Salary, Poor Job Security

Advice to Management

Pay higher salary, less bonuses

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at FXCM (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    They left you alone if you made money, for the most part
    Coworkers were extremely nice

Cons

Senior management not very hands on

"Great flexibility and fair pay, lack of career advancement opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at FXCM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexibility in one's schedule is unmatched. You have no set hours as to when you need to be there or when you can leave, so if you have kids this helps out a lot. You also have the ability to work from home, and depending on how good you are at your job you may be able to work from home consistently. The pay is great if you are close with the management but, if you aren't, then the pay is simply "fair". There is free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate and they provide the utensils, plates, and bowls to employees. As I was part of the IT staff, this particular group of people are young and easy-going and everyone (for the most part) gets along with each other which makes coming to work more enjoyable. And you get to work with different technologies for the most part, just don't expect any datacenter technologies.

Cons

FXCM doesn't match on their 401k. The company has taken a horrific nose-dive recently on the NYSE. If you aren't close with management (part of the cool kids' group) then there is no room for advancement in your career, regardless of whether or not you work your tail off or how much better you are than your peers. Some people in management are less mature than they should be and tend to verbally assault their team members when they make a mistake. Overall, IT is more reactive than proactive here, so be ready. While the work schedule is flexible, your Friday nights will belong to FXCM and possibly even your Saturdays and Sundays. Being on-call is mandatory, so be prepared for numerous occasions where you wake up in the middle of the night. And if you plan to take a company phone, be prepared that you are REQUIRED to answer a text/call regardless of what is going on in your life. Management tends to think they are "bleeding edge" but they are naive and ignorant here, as I'd say they are about 5 years behind other financials when it comes to technologies and having the intelligence to implement them.

Advice to Management

You are not elite, and you will be educated on that when you are forced to look for other employment after the company finishes tanking. And the days of getting drunk and high in the office and rarely showing up to work will, I ASSURE YOU, not be tolerated at any real company.

"The best of times, the worst of times."

Former Employee - Compliance Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Compliance Officer in New York, NY

I worked at FXCM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can get exposed to a lot of different areas of the business quickly. The level of responsibility you have over your work is quite high.

Cons

The level of expectation by senior management is not at all in line with salary. Senior management can be passive aggressive and childish. Mixed messages often sent to teams, leading to lack of vision and direction.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction, and stick with it. Adjust your expectations of employees to something realistic.

11. "Currency Analyst"

Former Employee - CURRECY ANALYST in Jersey, NC
    Former Employee - CURRECY ANALYST in Jersey, NC

I worked at FXCM (More than a year)

Pros

- Hours were flexible and micro managing was limited.

Cons

There were little to non team building activities.