Facebook Cambridge Reviews

Updated Nov 19, 2020

4.3

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Facebook and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great benefits

Nov 19, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great compensation and benefits, incredibly talented coworkers

Cons

I just want access to the site already

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Horrible terrible company with worst culture

Mar 23, 2020 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, good salary, hype

Cons

At Facebook I got to know what "gaslighting" really means. Gaslighting is exactly what is the culture that is imposed top-down by management. It starts at the bootcamp. There, you'll be properly brainwashed how cute and cuddly Facebook is, how unfairly it is being treated by everybody, how great and kind the Czar and his ruling gang is, and how grateful and privileged you (a despicable useless worm) should feel to be here! Right there, in the bootcamp, they will start the abusive treatment by telling you "why on Earth did we hire you? You do not submit any code during last 24 hours!" This abuse and fostering of your impostor syndrome will keep going on. Typical Facebook-style management is when you are being repeatedly told "I have no idea how did you got here, and if how come you were not fired yesterday - but OK, we'll give you one more chance". This is part of this culture! There is a STACK RANKING! It's in tooling, in manager training materials! The fact that Facebook officially denies doing it is a yet-another confirmation that this company doesn't shy away from crime. Stack ranking means that all colleagues see each other as a competition. When I started my job at Facebook, my closest colleague didn't want to talk to me, because he knew that the better I succeed, the worse is for him. This is very profound and affects everybody: it's a hostile work environment. Performance reviews is a complete sham. There is one "axis" which is related to your actual performance. The other 3 (three!) axes (direction, etc.) is a complete baloney, and can be used to justify ANY rating for anyone. All managers are deeply ignorant schmoozers. Cult means there are plenty of taboo topics for which you'll be fired. There are, for example, internal "non-managers" groups, which are patrolled for any signs of dissent. If a person posts anything out of line there, this gets straight to his manager and HR. HR is the worst people I've met. They enforce the authoritarian rule ruthlessly and with cynicism. Working at Facebook has permanently damaged my faith in humanity. I realized that people can still do horrible crimes, given enough brainwashing. That people can treat each other like animals, given stack ranking. I wish I never joined this scam of a company, a lousy swamp filled with ghosts who pretend to be humans!

68 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great pay and perks, but mission is unclear

May 8, 2020 - Data Science Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent quality of life, nice and smart people

Cons

Very unclear mission and purpose, lots of internal drama

4. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Fantastic Internship

Aug 5, 2019 - Software Engineer(Internship) in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Fun benefits Lots of good intern events Amazing people Interesting problems Good intern projects

Cons

It's "big tech" (if you don't like that) Some people may not want the smaller office at Boston

Continue reading
  5. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

A memorable summer!

Oct 15, 2019 - Software Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really great benefits and smart people around you all the time. Lots of ways to learn about different parts of the company and opportunities to travel.

Cons

Hard to feel like you are making an impact because it is so large. Sometimes feels very performance-obsessed.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Oct 9, 2015 -  in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, challenging, collaborative. The campus is also amazing, and interns are treated very well.

Cons

The company is getting big, and even though the company tries hard to not be affected by "corporate" culture, some of it is unavoidable it seems.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place to work. Love it here.

May 20, 2018 - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are awesome. 21 paid off is great.

Cons

Food selection is limited in the Cambridge office, but it's still great (and free).

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 English Reviews