Facebook Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Engineer

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 174 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 47 reviews)

"Open, fast, no bs"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Facebook Response

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your great feedback. We really appreciate the transparency from Mark, Sheryl, and the entire leadership team. This open culture does permeate throughout the company, and we are focused on ... More

2. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is carefully engineered to be a great place to work. Engineers are given great benefits and compensation, a lot of autonomy, and a lot of resources to grow.

Cons

Very few, as long as you diligently maintain your own work-life boundaries.

3. "What do you think?"

Former Employee - Frontend Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Frontend Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work life balance was great! Worked with tons brilliant engineers and project managers!

Cons

Hard to be heard as an individual.

Advice to Management

Take extra time to care for your employee's opinions.

5. "Company culture"

Current Contractor - QA Automation Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - QA Automation Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Open space, easy going people, Agile environment. Employees are with very strong skills

Cons

I am on contract positions almost 2 years. I do not have chance to be converted to FT, because i work in QA team. Facebook does not have FT positions for QA. If you want to get job in different position, Facebook likes people with Stanford or Harvard degree. So, i do not have any chance to get FT position, but i love this company.

Advice to Management

Give a chance to employer who does not Stanford/Harvard, but has all passion to work and bring new ideas.

6. "Great Company Culture"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work was mildly interesting, The code base is massive which is different from many other companies. My team was amazing, as was every single person I worked with.

Cons

Impact is important so code quality can be sacrificed for speed.

7. "Very positive"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, awesome co-workes, smart management

Cons

No real cons, great opportunity

8. "One of the best places to work"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work-life balance, great food, beautiful campus, great people, diverse workforce

Cons

meeting rooms are scarcely available

9. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some of the best talents in the area. Challenging problems and good career opportunities.

Cons

There is no food on weekends.

10. "software engineer review"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo, GA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo, GA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern

Pros

great benefits and the place has lots of food. Mark zuck the ceo is also a relatively cool guy.

Cons

the atmosphere isn't always the best and some colleagues are really hipster like. Sometimes, collegaes would get upset that I solved a bug before them.

Advice to Management

i would give advice revolved around the fact of fixing the employee culture and allowing employees to being more open minded.

11. "Incredibly Empowering"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have an amazing level of freedom in deciding what team you want to work on and what you want to do within that team. It is your responsibility to decide how you want to generate value for the company.

Also the compensation and benefits are amazing.

Cons

You are measured based on results achieved, not on how hard you try. I think of this as a Pro, but I know a number of people find it to be a Con.