Facebook Engineering Manager Reviews

1. Featured Review

"People Focused"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Facebook deeply cares about its employees and has built a compelling culture around support and growth. Career growth opportunities are plentiful. If you don't like the team you're on or don't get the support you want from your manger, Facebook empowers you to find new teams or projects. Facebook wants its employees to be invested in their work and to feel connected to its larger mission. If large scale opportunities and growth are important to you, Facebook is a fantastic place to work.

Cons

Facebook's culture is demanding and fast paced. The greatest aspect of working at Facebook is that everyone is very motivated and very smart. The problem with this is that they all expect the very same of you. Holding a very high bar for excellence can certainly be demanding so it's important to make sure you're always carefully paying attention to your own personal work/life balance.

2. "One of the best companies for engineers"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

In areas of transparency, caring about talents, moving fast, and innovate with true results... best company I've worked for.

Cons

Constant scrutiny from media with magnifying glasses (without sufficient fairness)... not an issue from within but from the external environments.

3. COVID-19

"Great experience for being remote"

Former Intern - FBU Engineering in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

great learning experience, lots of support from managers

Cons

remote internship due to covid so no office perks

4. "Great place that cares about employees"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been working at FB for a little over 4 months. I can't believe how accommodating and helpful my entire org has been at welcoming me to the team. It's tough leaving one job for another and but the support that you get, the inclusiveness, and the overall willingness of everyone to help you onboard is honestly a great feeling. It feels like everyone wants you to succeed and that everyone buys into the idea that there's enough sunshine to go around. I've never been at a company with those values.

Cons

Onboarding is tough. Be prepared to spend a lot of time reading and playing catch up. Expectations are high to move fast, so join prepared to hit the ground running.

"Neat place. Org struggles"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Well funded, lots of resources, focus on engineering.

Cons

Organization is a challenge, senior people fighting for the the best reviews (which trigger significant payouts). Rigorous performance management process which has many flaws (politics, anecdotal discussions, selective review collection).

Continue reading
  6. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive culture, outstanding people, leading edge technology, excellent opportunities for learning and advancement, great opportunities to positively impact the world

Cons

Rapid growth makes it challenging to retain the original corporate identity that has made the place great

Continue reading
  7. COVID-19

"Interning at Facebook during COVID19"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

- Learned a lot of better engineering practices - Teams was very supportive during the tough times - Great pay

Cons

- Because of wfh, work became very stressful as that was the only thing on my mind as an intern - Facebook still expects very high quality work with aggressive deadlines, even during COVID19

8. "Strong engineering culture with a clear focus on people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Stellar coworkers - Generous compensation and benefits - Focused on positive work culture and interpersonal skill development (e.g. conflict resolution, giving feedback, inclusiveness) - Best-in-class engineering systems - (In most orgs) Less red tape / unnecessary process than Google and Microsoft, for example

Cons

- Association with the Facebook brand can be difficult in elections press cycles - "Golden handcuffs" : So cushy it's hard to leave

9. "Challenging, comfortable, well-compensated, controversial"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good compensation and benefits - You can work on projects that are really important for the world as a whole - The management is generally competent

Cons

- Very controversial company. It's uncomfortable to work at a place where most people think you're doing bad things - The leadership is smart and effective, but rationalizes self-interested decisions as good for the world. This is the basic reason why Facebook has made so many controversial decisions over the years, I believe - Like any big company, things can feel impersonal

10. "Will recommend to all SW engineers"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Impact Compensation Career growth Perks Work life

Cons

None, great place to be in

Found 124 reviews