Facebook Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Manager

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to manage (in 192 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 51 reviews)

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

"Read before you move your family for a job with Facebook"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

The perks have been covered in the other reviews, so I won't address them here.

Cons

There is only one aspect of Facebook that I wanted to address, because other reviewers haven't. I learnt this the hard way. Facebook recruited me for a role in Menlo Park, I was very excited about the offer and I moved here with family from another state in Southwest. It turned out to be very bad decision. And I am still regretting it some years into Facebook. I had a set life, large team I was managing, job that I liked, house that I owned, school for kids, social life; in another part of the country. I thought Facebook will take care of everything during the move. They do take of the financial part, but they don't give you time. I went through the move while working 12 hour days. It was very painful and stressful. First couple of months were nightmarishly difficult as we struggled to provide care for our children, set-up the household and handle the tough demands of a Facebook job. All Facebook does is provide a free account at Care that costs 40 bucks. Two years later I still have boxes I haven't opened. The job turned out to have no work-life balance. The place we rent in Bay is tiny and we still pay more than we were paying in mortgage. The raise I got, get eaten up by just the higher income tax. Financially I am worse off than I was before. People rave about the weather in Bay area but I am yet to see it as I am working or traveling most weekends. The job caused a huge disruption in my family's life and two years later I am still regretting making the move.

Advice to Management

Your work culture encourages spending 24/7 at work, and a lot of people do. Understand that some people's life have family and their sole life mission is getting clicks for Facebook.

"Facilities Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Benefits, I love the CEO and COO, there is amazing job stability, there is opportunity to attend conferences and learn, the company provides a fun atmosphere for their employees, the work is interesting, the people are interesting

Cons

I am stuck at this level, men are provided with more opportunities, strategy is an opportunity for lazy people to hide behind and do nothing.

Advice to Management

Make changes that do not cripple people from advancing. When advancing people, make a thorough evaluation of their peers and look at qualifying skills. To move a less qualified, less experienced person in position over a woman only shows sexism and support for the males position as the bread winner for the family. The female gets completely discounted and humiliated, this does not promote retention.

"Obvious pros, but cons are real"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

Top compensation and benefits, working with people who are the best at what they do and push you to do your best work, company trusts their employees, lots of visibility from senior management.

Cons

Reviews cause an unhealthy amount of anxiety among employees, sink or swim environment. Managers are expected to be in this role because they like people management and there is no additional comp for this role nor does the amount of time spent managing or mentoring get reflected in reviews. This creates a situation where there is little incentive to be a great manager and many of them are more focused on their own career growth. Work/life balance on many teams is terrible. There's a lot of lip service about it, but it continues to be a huge problem.

Advice to Management

Reward managers for helping develop employees. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and managers should not only be asked to care about their people, they should get "credit" during the review cycle for it, so, that it incentivizes them to better support employees.

Jul 13, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

We appreciate your feedback, and will share your suggestions with our internal teams to help improve overall employee success and experience.

5. "Technical Program Manager"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good work life balance.

Cons

Fast paced and we mean it. Can't slack here.

Advice to Management

Options to work from home more would be cool.

"Collaborative & Truly Focused on Diverse Thinking to Achieve Mission"

Current Employee - Insights Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Insights Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FB really embraces bringing different ways of thinking to the work place because it is the right thing to do but also because it makes the work better. They study everything and then to the best thing - if you don't like data, don't come here! All voices are equal & everyone is encouraged to participate in the conversation. In fact, if you don't - that is bad. But be prepared to back up what you say. And know you will get direct feedback on how you can get better, because we all can. Feedback is real and designed to help you get better, not judge you. Overall, an amazing place that moves fast towards a clear mission that everyone in the company is behind. Leadership is open & very strong.

Cons

I can't think of any right now. It can be a long commute for some. And it is growing really fast, so construction of new buildings can be loud.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Jun 28, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

We are delighted to hear that you are experiencing the value of feedback and diversity in action. It's people like you, sharing their feedback, who will continue to make us better as we grow.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people
    Great perks
    Employer cares about employees

Cons

Too many people trying to solve the same problems

"I couldn't imagine a better place to start my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Tremendous autonomy: It is still very much a culture where you are expected to find impact and deliver.
    + Fast paced culture: Very few people try to stop you from getting things done. Everyone values the benefits of iteration
    + Easy internal mobility: No interview, no BS. Everything was decided in a day for me.
    + Great perks: Comp, food, office space, healthcare, you name it!
    + Exciting work: Facebook is building everything from social media to VR, React to airplanes.

Cons

- Tremendous autonomy: It REALLY is up to you.
    - Size: Definitely feels big if you are trying to meet new people.

May 24, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thanks for sharing! We're glad to hear that you are enjoying career growth and autonomy here at Facebook. Thank you for all you do to support our mission of making the world more open and connected.... More

9. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for massive impact on the world, talented colleagues, resources, perks

Cons

Work life balance and pressure to perform is quite high

Advice to Management

Invest in long-term

"Lots of perks that just make employees happy and worry free"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Commute shuttle
    Nice campus
    Flat structure
    Management really cares about employees
    Decent health care plan compared to other companies but not the best

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge
    Getting promoted can be hard
    Office is getting really crowded
    Traffic is really bad to work

May 24, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

We appreciate your honest feedback. We appreciate your patience while we address the challenges of our growing and thriving campus. We'll keep moving fast to make this happen!