Facebook Reviews in Menlo Park, CA | Glassdoor

Menlo Park, CA

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 194 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 52 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook Response

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

3. "Non-Engineering Internship"

Current Intern - Technical Writer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Intern - Technical Writer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Facebook has a vast library of resources for interns (and full-time employees) to learn. This means opportunities to learn how to do your job better, but also the opportunity to grow professionally and explore career advancement a progression. As a non-technical intern I was able to:
    -Work autonomously to design a project that was conducive to my interests
    -Experiment with FB tools to track how my project impacted the company
    -Meet people from all over the company to talk about available jobs and career opportunities
    -Housing, Food, Relocation Benefits, fair (like bay area fair!) compensation

Cons

-it can be kind of overwhelming coming into FB, but as long as you are communicative with your team- resources are available to help you navigate!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, your transparency and alignment with proper social values helps employees stay motivated to furthering FB's mission

4. "Software Enginner"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

I learned much from the intern in Facebook. The people here are mostly friendly to help.

Cons

During my internship, sometimes I need to work after coming back home, not required though.

"Best place i've worked by far"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, kind and considerate people (for the most part). Salary isn't bad, but total compensation [RSU + Bonus + Salary] and benefits is really hard to beat. Company is growing, there are a lot of opportunities for personal and professional growth.

Cons

- Growing pains, trying to get newer folks to buy in to the culture
    - Big company problems, every misstep is picked up, blown up and a whole bunch of well meaning people vilified
    - Distractions

Advice to Management

The culture is amazing, get creative about ways of maintaining it.

6. "Facebook is a really good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open and transparent culture, smart co-workers, great perks.

Cons

Very competitive environment, can be stressful. Parking is a constant problem. Open offices make it harder to focus.

"A company that cares about it's employees."

Current Employee - Recruiting in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is great. We have amazing perks, financial freedom to do amazing work and coworkers that will push you to become a better professional and person.

What sticks out most to me is that the company is accutley aware that it won't be able to reach it's long term goals without tenured (more than 2-3 years) employees. It goes to great lengths to remove everyday hassles from your life so you can spend more time doing the things you love outside of work and when life happens (babies, relocation, bereavement) it's most amazing perk shines through. The people around you come together to support you and give you the time you deserve to move through life changes.

They really look at it through the lens of "if the employee is happy and taken care of then they'll do the best work of their career". This doesn't mean that everyone will work 80 hours a week. If you question this, ask to see the office at 6pm. It's pretty empty. Most people leave closer to 4.

Cons

Is hard to imagine another company to work at. This forces you to put a lot of trust in Facebook. We don't have a ton of great examples of companies caring for someone through their career so it's a bit like walking into the unknown.

8. "Best company I've worked for"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern

Pros

Amazing, smart, kind people to work with
    As an intern, had an opportunity to work on projects full-time employees can take on; make real impact

Cons

It's easy to get spoiled with all the perks, and I feel sad when I see other people start thinking of those as "normal" and complain a lot. Some people need to be reminded of how blessed they are to prevent these benefits to be reverted

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, thank you for your leadership, and continue to be fully engaged with the employees, and interns!

9. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is an amazing place to work with amazing benefits and a great compensation plan. I'm never doing the same project, constantly being engaged in new challenges and have amazing support from my coworkers and managers. I'll probably stay here forever

Cons

Commute on 101 isn't great

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to interact with smart people, use high-level analytical skills to solve complex problems, and access unparalleled resources, perks, and food. This is a fantastic place to work.

Cons

The company is growing quickly and a challenge will be to maintain the great culture.

Showing 781 of 2,178 reviews