Facebook Oakland Reviews

Updated Mar 15, 2016

2.0

"Looks good on the outside...."

Public Content in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

They have some great ideas that are inspirational. There is never a stop to the ongoing activities and overwhelming number of events. Coworkers are peers of all ages and backgrounds which makes for a unique dynamic around the office

Cons

Biggest common issue over my 1 year here: They don't practice what they preach (ie. Culture and work/life balance opportunities). The management team looks down on everyone. No one can advance beyond an entry level position. You get an idea that gets bought or get stuck in an entry level type job for your "career" with barely above avg pay rates. I know that this is a competitive industry but sometimes the stupid people win just because they have the right connection. Bad employees stay while realistic workers realize the mistreatment and all leave within a year. I'm not making this up. Go look up Facebook's overall turnover ratio and tell me how that could lead to happy employees. Every SINGLE person on my initial project was lied to about their working hours (expect 9-5 and told 9-5 then made work overnight/graveyard shifts), benefits (only get to go on campus when with a supervisor), and team management. Too often we are told that our ideas will be considered then a manager gets promoted to a new project for spearheading such an idea.

Continue reading

Facebook Response

April 18, 2016Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback. It's so important that everyone is open and honest when discussing work expectations. If you haven't already, please reach out to your HR business partner. No matter the scenario, employees and contractors alike should have a clear understanding of goals and expectations.

"Great benefits, changing culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Facebook is working on some inspiring things & it's cool to be a part of it. Many of the people they hire are extremely bright. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is non-existent. As is career development opportunities & mobility on the non-technical side. Management is really poor & gets increasingly detached and political the higher up you get. They tend to reward/promote people who can make themselves look good, rather than people who actually get stuff done. This wasn't the case when I joined; but, the culture has shifted dramatically in that direction.

Continue reading

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.