Facebook Reviews in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Updated July 5, 2017

Palo Alto, CA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 208 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 55 reviews)

"Busiest but most rewarding time of my career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

- Working for a product that's changing the world
    - Working alongside brilliant people
    - Casual dress!
    - Amazing benefits (food, PTO, laundry)
    - Lots of nice people
    - Celebrity encounters almost weekly (Oprah, Katy Perry, Tyra Banks, Obama)
    - Everything you do has a direct impact on the company's success
    - FB really tries to be a fun place to work
    - Despite the cons below, this is the best, most rewarding and memorable job I've ever had. I would do it all over again.

Cons

- Long hours
    - No clear path for advancement. I'd been told I'd get promoted if I achieved xyz. I achieved xyz with flying colors, and still no advancement. Despite being a top performer in my group, I was not promoted once in nearly 4 years.
    - Great PTO plan, but difficult to get time off. Often you're made to feel unpatriotic to the company if you request a whole week off. One manager actually told his team they could only take long weekends.
    - The Mach 5 pace is exhilarating, but maintaining that pace 24/7 takes a toll. Several people I know developed heart issues from the constant stress.
    - Terrible middle management. Very out of touch with their teams, only looking out for their career.
    - Questioning company policies or products is frowned upon. They want you to drink the KoolAid, versus have a constructive discussion.
    - In my group, promotions were given to unqualified people simply because they were buddies with the manager. It was very much an old boys club.
    - Too many meetings and interviews. I spent a solid 7 hours a week in company/team meetings, and another 3 hours a week in interviews. That doesn't sound too terrible, until you realize the massive workload given to each employee.

Advice to Management

- Promote from within, create more transparency with promotions
    - Encourage employees to use their PTO - we work hard, we need to recharge.
    - Encourage employees to speak up and question product design or policies. We may have new perspective. It doesn't mean we aren't still 100% dedicated to the company.

"Learn to swim or you will sink"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

My coworkers are the smartest people I have ever worked with. They love their jobs and they work hard. But they keep a balance in their lives.

Also, the management team is a group of good human beings. They really want to harness the power of what they've created to accomplish something they believe in. They know that if people across the globe can connect - good things will happen. And they have.

Cons

It can feel very chaotic, fly by the seat of your pants, always on the go. It's growing so quickly it's hard to tell who owns what project etc.

"It is a wonderfully rewarding place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The direction of the company is innovative. The people are smart. The projects are challenging. The benefits and compensation are great.

Cons

I don't believe there are any major cons to working at this company. I plan to work at this company for a long time.

Advice to Management

Keep moving the company in the direction that you are moving it. In 50 years we will be able to look back on the work now and be proud.

"Best. Job. Ever."

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

What I love most about working at Facebook:

- The people. I get to work with some of the most talented and passionate people in the world.
    - The culture. I love the fact that we get to take big risks and 'move fast and break things'. It's very empowering.
    - Impact. All my friends and family use Facebook (+800M people around the world), so it's great to know that people I care about love to use the product that I'm a part of.
    - The culinary team. best. food. ever.

Cons

- growing so fast makes it so you don't know everyone at the company anymore, but that's just a product of rapid growth and hiring enough people to sustain and grow the business.

Advice to Management

- thank you for sticking with the mission and keeping the company open and transparent. Please keep this up as we continue to grow.

"Amazing!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

It provides you with the best possible space and to divulge into your specialties. The only thing you are required to do is to do what you have been asked to do in a completely pressure free atmosphere. Its more like work at home!!!

Cons

There are none. Its a fantastic place to work for people willing to make money by enjoying.

Advice to Management

Keep the workforce small and efficient.

"Pretty amazing place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I've worked at 5 different companies before here, from investment banking, CPGs, to 3 other tech companies and nothing beats this. People are amazing not to mention wicked smart. You'll be surrounded by the most talented people in the world all with a mission to change the world.

Cons

Extremely difficult to get in given number of application submitted and competition. Also the company tries to stay small so limited job openings.
    Work can get stressful but that's because there aren't enough people internally to do the stuff that needs to get done. If you don't know how to prioritize you should seek other large tech companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and try to promote from within. Outside hires bring a complete different management flavor.

"It was very good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

good perks, great environment. high respect for engineers and high salaries. you can develop your ideas and own your project

Cons

you need to be prepared to work hard and compete with very smart people. unstable decisions at the management level.

Advice to Management

lack of bureaucracy and the flat friendly organization sometimes has a downside that a lot of agreements and decisions are verbal and unofficial. which lead to unstable decisions. changes in design and waste of effort.

"Facebook is the best place I have worked in my 12 years in tech."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The ability to take an idea and turn it into a reality without the need for level after level of approval. Only really massive changes require any significant oversight at all.

People are expected and trusted to do good things for the company.

Projects are launched quickly, and road map cycles are very fluid. there is extreme urgency without the need for hard deadlines

Cons

the main downside is the long hours, but, truthfully it is fun, so I don't really mind that much.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering folks to do the right things.

"Great working environment !!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Attractive salary, friendly employees and perfect working conditions !!!

Cons

Not much, it's real fun to work here !!!

Advice to Management

MZ is doing good job, no need is there to advise him !!!

"Trending towards bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

- Free food
    - Reasonably good compensation
    - Reasonably flexible hours
    - Lots of smart, capable people
    - Work can be exciting

Cons

- Working on product teams is trying because of the micromanagement of Zuck and other upper management. Many projects get delayed because they ask for random changes.
    - Working on backend teams doesn't have that problem, but they are typically second-class citizens and don't get as much respect as frontend teams.
    - Facebook is very large now and the bureacracy is starting to accumulate quickly. It used to be that engineers could just do stuff, but now almost every change requires a great deal of pointless discussion or overhead. For instance, you now have to fill out a form just to log some data.
    - Very strong focus on some of the "hot" product teams means that the rest of the company doesn't get preference with respect to product managers, designers, etc.
    - Most frontend work is boring mundane PHP. The only challenge comes from poorly-designed legacy systems.
    - Managers will often ask you to work on something you don't care about just because it's a priority for the company. This goes against the claimed philosophy of Facebook, but it's the way things are trending.

Advice to Management

- Keep the bureaucracy down.
    - Reduce the rate of hiring. The marginal benefit of an additional engineer decreases fairly quickly. Going from 500 to 1000 is not going to come close to doubling the amount of work done.

Showing 94 of 2,341 reviews