Facebook Production Engineer Reviews

Updated Sep 11, 2020

4.6
  1. "Best company ever!"

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great mentorship - Managers care about you - Brilliant colleagues, both seniors and grads - Global impact - Work on different projects - Dogfooding - Great benefits - Guided career plans - Also a fun place to work

Cons

- Being a large corporate, it might take at least 6 months to switch team

Continue reading
  2. "Good place to start career and grow"

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Management Helpful peers and mentorship Interesting projects and wide array of opportunities

Cons

Lots of things going on at same time. Can feel a little overwhelming.

"Best company to work"

Current Employee - Production Operations Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Day to day work - Work life balance - Culture - Diversity - Interview process - Peoples

Cons

Not major things to share on cons except pay

4. COVID-19

"Great benefits and fun work"

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience so far has been amazing, I get along well with my team. The benefits are amazing and the support during covid has been top class.

Cons

This might be a con for some people, very fast paced. Workplace politics.

5. "The best work of your life"

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to do some of the most rewarding work of your life at the scale of Facebook, with some of the best people and support systems. Fast paced with high expectations, an open culture and diverse workplace.

Cons

None at this time AFAICT

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. I don't plan on leaving.

Cons

Not many. Great company culture.

7. "Good tech, but it's a big compnay now"

4.0

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay + Bonus, Scale of work, Tech Stack is industry leading

Cons

- Over complication - Lots more red tape than 7 years ago - People playing the game get rewarded

Continue reading

"Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

The opportunity that Facebook offers for autonomy and career growth is incredible; coming in as a new grad PE I have the opportunity to grow based on merit and performance, not time in the role. Flexibility in when I work, how I prioritize my projects, and the scope of my work is invigorating and makes me excited to come to work each day. The company is mission-driven to a great extent, and I have been impressed with the way we have owned up to prior mistakes and fixed them head on. The Production Engineering role is well respected within the company, and the importance of reliability and scaling increases as our services reach more of the world. As a PE you will gain the knowledge necessary to build and operate real hyperscale systems capable of providing services to billions of people. My team is comprised of some of the smartest, experienced engineers I have ever met - some of which have been building Linux services since 0.01. Even though sometimes working at Facebook feels like drinking from the proverbial fire hose, I am grateful I have the opportunity to learn from some of the top people in their field. For example, in bootcamp I took a command-line efficiency class from Jim Meyering, one of the maintainers of coreutils and also a Facebook employee. Many other people have commented on this, but the perks and compensation are still top-notch. The company helps take care of your life so you can focus on work while you're working.

Cons

Facebook hires the kind of people that expect a lot from themselves. Despite some reports, you do not need to work long hours in order to succeed at Facebook. Bootcamp gives you the chance to find a team that matches you well, and new hires should come in intending to join a team where they can both find balance and grow in their career. The company is growing and there is some sentiment around slowing down, but most engineering teams are still bottom-up driven and innovating in their space. The things we are doing around privacy and AR/VR are on the bleeding edge and we are strong leaders in these areas. On the other hand, ironically, there is also sentiment around moving too fast as a company. Since we are people- and product-focused (as opposed to engineering-focused, like at Google), our primary goal is to impact the lives of people for good. Sometimes this means we opt for rapid prototyping over beautifully designed code. However, we are doing much better at recognizing better engineering work such as cleaning up code and improving monitoring, especially in the PE role.

Continue reading

"Know what you are getting yourself into"

2.0
    Former Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Facebook is a good company to work for. They pay well. They have great perks. At the beginning, life is good. Facebook rewards ambition.

Cons

The appeal quickly wears off. Your experience at Facebook highly depends on the team you join. Facebook does not have the best people managers. If you join a team with a good manager who knows the system, you will be more likely to have a productive, prosperous time at Facebook. If you join a team with a bad manager, your work-life balance will be horrible. You will feel extreme pressure with the Performance cycle review every six months. Worse yet, you may even blame yourself for what's happening, not realizing the role your manager plays until it is too late. Facebook is a good company for new college graduates. Even with a bad experience, you can learn so much about practical, applied technology here. For those with several years of experience, or with family commitments, be careful. Come into Facebook with a clear sense of what you need from Facebook that you cannot get anywhere else. Be prepared to leave when that is delayed, or not a possibility, or comes at a cost to your family or external commitments. For most people, Facebook is not a company that you join and happily work at for the rest of your life. Facebook is a temporary stop that will squeeze as much productivity out of you as it can. When that stops, it forces you out or makes you want to leave.

10. "Great place to intern"

Current Intern - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Provided housing and meals during work week. Many events planned for interns and swag. Very competitive salary. You will work on something that matters. Good chance of getting a full time offer.

Cons

Expectations are very high, but you are not expected to work outside of work hours.

Found 77 reviews