Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.5

1,133 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance and flexibility" (in 88 reviews)

• "An AMPLE amount of free food is another great perk" (in 239 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be a struggle at times - it is up to the individual to prioritize" (in 257 reviews)

• "Expect to Work Hard in line with the Move Fast mantra that pervades the company ethos" (in 60 reviews)

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Ambitious people
    -Unparalleled Perks
    -Exciting work
    -Transparent leadership

Cons

None that are major - work is good

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook Response

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

"Software Engineering, PhD Intern (Summer)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

A great culture, most likely the best of the bests...
    Very smart and helpful colleagues..
    Lots of benefits, even for the interns, food, bikes, housing, summer fests, etc.
    Very transparent, from top to the bottom...
    Challenging and interesting work/projects, affecting billions of people!

Cons

Nothing much. Specific to the 12-week summer internship program, you need 2-3 weeks to get used to the Facebook culture, codebase, and the project you are working on. You need to finish bulk of the task within the 10th week. That leaves you with roughly 7 weeks to complete your project -- which sometimes may become stressful...

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Corporate Strategy Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Strategy Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are down to earth and genuine. People know this is a group effort to connect the World.

Cons

Media bias is rampant as this platform is directly at odds with publishers who want to constrict traffic on their own site.

Some of the reviews such as the negative one star review below by a Software engineer in Cambridge are blatantly false (it's a curiosity if the person got rejected at facebook). Software engineers are E3s/E4s/E5s and not ICs (business track) as the person referred to. Amazon also did massive layoffs recently (hardly just 5% targeted for PIP) - Facebook does not do forced stack ranking - the previous reviewer pulled some arbitrary 15% out of thin air. Very very likely the person below works for Amazon. I've also personally known multiple people that took pat/mat leaves that promptly got promoted. It's hardly a PR stunt as Sheryl Sandberg drove this for greater equality within the valley. It's also telling that Facebook ranks among the highest employee retention and tenure amongst successful companies in the valley above Amazon, Uber, Tesla, Dropbox, Square etc. etc

Expect to Work Hard in line with the Move Fast mantra that pervades the company ethos. Also expect envy by others who want to work here and will show you disdain in public. Despite strong pedigree and accomplishments, your colleagues are humble to a tee.

6. "Wonderfully Engaging Environment"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

FB hires not only really smart people, but people who really want to work with others to make awesome things. Also, the company offers some great benefits, which show us how much they care about our well being.

Cons

Because the company has been expanding so much in Menlo Park, the traffic is horrible. Also, it is hard to get promoted even though there are many lateral moves.

Advice to Management

Continue being great and treating employees like equals.

7. "Account Partner on Retail"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom, Opportunity, Learning and Growth

Cons

FB is not means to an end

Advice to Management

- - - - -

8. "You feel valued as an employee"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities to work on something that matters to you and have a real impact in the world.

Cons

Things change quickly and that creates instability on teams and roles

9. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Client Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly love working at Facebook.

Cons

Sometimes I've seen people fail who need a lot of direction, it's almost autonomous to a fault.

"University Recruiter"

Current Employee - University Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - University Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Facebook truly cares about their employees and does an amazing job taking care of us. There are way too many pros too list, but here are a few at the top - amazing work life balance, high impact, great leadership, meaningful work, some of the best benefits/perks, growing company, open culture, exciting projects, smart people, beautiful office, and much much more

Cons

Normally growing pains of a rapidly expanding company. Nothing too substantial that would be worth noting as a con. I'm very lucky where I love my work, team, and office.

Showing 1,450 of 2,828 reviews