Facebook Reviews

Updated May 16, 2021

4.3
Pros
  • "Free food is just the beginning(in 399 reviews)

• "Great environment and really smart people(in 344 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance can be tough at times(in 487 reviews)

• "Sometimes long hours due to working with US(in 99 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Facebook and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

People Focused

May 24, 2020 - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Facebook deeply cares about its employees and has built a compelling culture around support and growth. Career growth opportunities are plentiful. If you don't like the team you're on or don't get the support you want from your manger, Facebook empowers you to find new teams or projects. Facebook wants its employees to be invested in their work and to feel connected to its larger mission. If large scale opportunities and growth are important to you, Facebook is a fantastic place to work.

Cons

Facebook's culture is demanding and fast paced. The greatest aspect of working at Facebook is that everyone is very motivated and very smart. The problem with this is that they all expect the very same of you. Holding a very high bar for excellence can certainly be demanding so it's important to make sure you're always carefully paying attention to your own personal work/life balance.

139 people found this review helpful

Employer Representative

Thank you for this thoughtful feedback. Building a career at Facebook is about using your unique strengths, doing meaningful work that matters to you and making Facebook better. We're glad you're here on this journey with us.

2. 5.0

Culture of Excellence

May 15, 2021 - Software Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

No BS , no politics, refreshing culture and engineers paradise.

Cons

Not a con. But you have to reset top down manager working style if you are used to it and embrace bottom up culture

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Open, fast, no bs

Mar 17, 2014 - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc. This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously. It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output. One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security. They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts. The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices. Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible. You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc. FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc. Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations. The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first. FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere. FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

443 people found this review helpful

Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your great feedback. We really appreciate the transparency from Mark, Sheryl, and the entire leadership team. This open culture does permeate throughout the company, and we are focused on maintaining it as we grow. Even as we have grown, our commitment to our values (be bold, move fast, be open, etc.) has helped us stay true to our culture, and we plan to maintain that commitment as we grow. --Your friends at Facebook

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people.

Feb 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Incredible benefits - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance - Lots of autonomy - Tons of room for growth - Very transparent from the top down - Strong leadership - Intelligent and caring colleagues - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it. - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

407 people found this review helpful

Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to your HR Business Partner.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Pleasantly Surprised

Feb 16, 2016 - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them... - Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real. - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else. - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere. - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance. - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible. Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so. Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

416 people found this review helpful

Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Hard work will pay off. A lot of impacts but you have to grind through it.

Mar 1, 2021 - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Smart people who take their jobs seriously (well they don't want to lose their job!) * Most of them are friendly and respectful enough despite you may disagree with them politically or culturally or on work matters * Extremely good amenities, perks and compensation. Google is the only one that can match FB on most perks * Pretty much everything is built in-house. so there is some way to get people help you/fix bugs instead of bugging an open source community which may never want you patch

Cons

* WLB is not great if you come in not knowing a particular language, say, C++, because debugging through any codebase can be very tough * Many things to fix at FB, so you will be easily distracted and can put risks on achieving impacts on your primary goals for the half * While in-house tools are great from a "please fix it" approach, it's also usually come at the cost of usability and stability. We really could use more help in making tooling accessible and useful * Impacts is go big or go home. Everyone is obsessed and measured by impacts. This could be cpu win or engagement metric move or power reduction or productivity. But ultimately we are chasing the big stuff in the name of promotion, and forget we need to grind through the small stuff that are actually most important to a healthier WLB and relaibility.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, great culture, great people

Apr 29, 2021 - Software Engineer - New Grad in Menlo Park, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Benefits and perks are plentiful - You can pick any team or projects you want to work on. - People in my team are super nice and smart. I don't know about other teams. - Your accomplishment on any task will impact millions of users. - Tasks are challenging and interesting enough to engage you in work. - You can contribute inputs to the project your team is working on.

Cons

These are not really cons, but rather responsibilities: - You are responsible for what you do. If it causes errors, you have to fix them. - Codebase is huge without much documentation. Code is literal in itself, so you must ramp up by reading the code instead of documentation. - Sometimes overtime is necessary. You can still manage to maintain work/life balance if you are experienced enough. Most people won't have a problem with this.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

May 14, 2021 - Unarmed Security Guard in Menlo Park, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Facebook is an amazing experience to all. It is a place that is literally in describable when it comes to the work environment.

Cons

They should have their own security branch and do their own hiring instead of contracting Allied Universal.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exhilarating

Apr 29, 2021 - BPS (Business Product Specialist) in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I first stepped into this company I was extremely nervous and wasn’t sure how I would perform. It didn’t take me long to realize how much support you are given from day 1. I’ve met some of the smartest people in the industry and have never met a nuisance (at least until now). Zuckerberg is a great CEO and he’s constantly innovating to make sure not only the company succeeds, but bringing the world closer!

Cons

You are in charge of your journey and it will only go as far as you take it. It’s really important to be transparent and driven to show that you care and are willing to put in effort otherwise you may feel like you’re stuck.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Wish we were back in the office

May 14, 2021 - Senior Technical Recruiter in Santa Ana, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Food and perks are awesome

Cons

Parking (pre-covid) was insane - they had valet though

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,720 Reviews