Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

1,258 reviews

US - All Cities

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work-life balance (this depends on teams)" (in 100 reviews)

• "Amazing benefits for Full Time Employees including free food, stipends for gym memberships & free dry cleaning" (in 270 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some teams have poor work life balance" (in 297 reviews)

• "Move fast culture can sometimes mean no incentives to clean up tech debt" (in 67 reviews)

"2nd Job out of college --> Great Experience"

Current Employee - Product Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Operations in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Context: I worked in operations
    - Very entrepreneurial culture: You're encouraged to build systems / processes to accomplish what you need
    - The perks are great
    - Very collaborative environment
    - Giving and receiving honest, constructive feedback is a huge part of the culture
    - There is a lot of room for growth. Career conversations are encouraged

Cons

- Very entrepreneurial culture: There is no formal "Facebook" way of doing things so work environment can be too unstructured at times
    - Open floor plan can be distracting

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook Response

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

"Don't believe all of the negative press"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked at Facebook for a number of years, and having experienced many other companies prior, I am still incredibly proud to work at such a company that values its employees, is so open and transparent, and that has a mission I truly believe in. Speaking with a number of employees who left Facebook only to return once again, while no company is perfect, there is a lot that Facebook has to offer - not just in terms of benefits, but with the impact that our apps and services have on this world - for people and businesses alike.

Our open culture is pretty amazing to understand the vision of our company and where we're heading. Leadership has been consistently transparent in ways that many other companies are not - even other tech companies - with weekly Q&As, open posts, and quarterly all hands. And they address tough issues or topics head on.

There are a lot of career opportunities within the company - as we often refer to the "jungle gym" that you can take your career internally. There are incredibly passionate people who work at Facebook, and I never cease to be amazed by the level of intelligence and care demonstrated by my coworkers around the world to help our company deliver on our mission.

Cons

Particularly as of late, Facebook has been subject to a lot of negative press. While some of it may be deserved, a lot of it feels sensationalist. So employees have to develop a thick skin and resilience to a lot of this scrutiny and ensure that we are focused on the long-term, not just the short-term.

But perhaps the primary area of improvement is that people are driven and work hard - which sometimes comes at the expense of the work/life balance that we all try to achieve.

"Continues to be an amazing place to be"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people who were chosen to be good to work with and empathic of others.

Important work. Huge scope. Solid mentorship.

Enormous self direction. Continuous opportunity fountain.

Literally the best large company I can imagine working for, and I came from a mid-senior role at Google that wasn't shabby.

Cons

Took a year and a half to learn to play defense on my work life balance; there's a spectrum of teams, and while some offer fantastic balance, others just don't. (The lesson was that they let you pick your own team, and that's something you can select for.)

Advice to Management

I'd love to see management be half as open with the press as they are with employees; I think we'd do way better in the average sensationalist news cycle if they had *more* access, not less.

"AVOID FB, incompetent management, bias against women"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

all the industry perks (food, 401k matching, shuttles, etc.). Smart colleagues to learn from and work with.

Cons

It’s just awful inside FB and no one seems to be talking about it. The company is full of self-inflicted wounds and senior leadership (Mark, Sheryl) live in an absolute impenetrable bubble of privilege and cluelessness. Performance review process is painful and horribly biased and downright unprofessional. The company values intellect over being decent people and that’s led to the place being riddled with smart jerks. Senior management continuously surprised when employees vocally call out their callousness and ineptitude. It’s painful to watch and painful to work there.

Advice to Management

I don’t think any advice I could give you would help. Many people are very unhappy.

"Recruiting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible health insurance covered 100%, free breakfast/lunch/dinner every day, work life balance, flexibility to work from home, unlimited sick days, career growth

Cons

Nothing that really comes to mind

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It's so inspiring to hear from our leadership team on a weekly basis

"Not for everyone, high stress, and company growing pains"

Current Employee - Sourcer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sourcer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

World class benefits
    Smart coworkers
    Food galore
    Fun parties

Cons

No work life balance

Unrealistic recruiting expectations

Burnt out employees who are constantly stressed out

Poor office morale

Lack of respect for Management

No career advancement opportunities unless you move to CA headquarters.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your Sourcers.

The current recruiting process is clearly not working. The company has very unrealistic recruiting goals yet expects Sourcers to deliver on these goals.

Give your employees a break, we are not machines.

"A mission worth fighting for, but many issues at home"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- On the right team, you'll find a healthy work culture. People are incredibly kind and there's an emphasis on collaboration over competition.
    - The mission is still something I believe in. It is ambitions to help people around the world connect to the Internet and each other.
    - The feeling of building products that reach more than 2 billion people is awesome.
    - Internal tools and infrastructure is best of class, especially for shipping fast.
    - Benefits are solid. You're taken care of with food, healthcare, and other convenience perks that are delightful to have.
    - Most work-life balance challenges are self-inflicted. People want to succeed, but the company supports you when you say that you need to get some work off your plate.
    - There are some early-Facebook veterans who make their areas of Facebook special. Find them and get to know them!

Cons

The company is struggling with mismanaged employee growth and rapid, negative changes in the company's culture.

- Internal politics have drastically increased. There is a growing focus on optics vs. impact, which is incompatible with a culture that operates under "Focus on Impact."
    - I found it difficult to express the company's values such as Be Bold and Be Open in a couple of organizations, because leaders who were external hires brought in a hierarchy, a "CYA" culture, and a combination of empire building and swim lanes.
    - The culture in some organization is toxic – people feel unsafe voicing their opinions and being their authentic selves.
    - Many teams find themselves blinded by metrics, still doing good work but missing the greater opportunities by ignoring clear paradoxes between metrics and customer experience.
    - Internal transfer policies can be restrictive due to restrictions around leveling and performance. I know at least three people who left the company who wanted to move to a role that better suited them, but could not because they weren't meeting expectations in their current role (that didn't suit them).

Advice to Management

- Spend time getting house in order – Build trust. Identify and remove toxic leaders throughout the organization, Meet with every employee to get pointed, specific feedback on team culture/management. Sure up buggy systems/processes before trying to launch the next feature or bring the next billion people on board.
    - Don't attribute current political/data issues as the chief cause for employee attrition. The annual internal survey doesn't quite capture some of the cultural and operational frustrations that employees hold.
    - Add more standardization to exit interviews – give them significant weight. This is an opportunity to learn the specific issues that are leading people to leave.
    - Remove the pseudo-curve used in the performance cycle. Hard-curving a group of highly motivated, high-performing employees… doesn't serve its purpose.

10. "Loves its employees"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never been treated this well in any job. Facebook honestly loves it employees. Like most tech firms, Facebook offers free food, transportation, gym, perks, etc. But Facebook also goes out of its way to address any and all employee questions or concerns, transparently. I have never felt so empowered and respected in my professional career as I do now.

Cons

I was about to write that we use Outlook, and not Gsuite, as the only con at Facebook. But just today Mark announced that we are going to enable Gsuite. Yay! So now, there are zero cons to working at Facebook.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The weekly Question and Answer sessions are really informative and appreciated.