Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7

1,434 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to manage (in 192 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 51 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook Response

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, strong diversity at employee level, great perks and facilities.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, intense pressure in certain teams.

Advice to Management

Work hard to maintain the culture as the company grows.

4. "Really enjoyable to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Company's open culture translates to my team very well, making it easy to communicate thoughts and feelings
    *Family oriented team, most people are out by 5, and those with kids are out by 430. Director has 3 kids, .
    *Really interesting problems to solve
    *Empathetic teammates
    *Incredible perks, company really cares about employees

Cons

*Managing "up" might not be everyone's cup of tea. Need to be independent and think for oneself, can't expect anyone to simply tell one what to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

5. "Hired into an executive role at Facebook"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

As an establish Silicon Valley executive, Facebook moved fast in courting me and offering me a competitive package.

They have excellent on-boarding and training programs: for individual contributors, for managers, and at the executive levels. Senior leadership is very approachable. Its straightforward to find good mentors and collaborative partners. The "social networking" that goes on inside the company is richly informative and generally very positive.

Despite being a large company, it retains a youthful feel, with an appetite for risk and decisive action which is dazzling given the scale and the weighty consequences that entails.

People are honest and direct, and "company politics" is discouraged by a robust culture that strives to keep alive the best of Facebook-- while also staying pragmatic and adaptable.

The company is earnest and generally unflinching in applying its principles. Especially, it moves fast and gets things done. Earnest and purposeful.

Human executed processes, around hiring and planning, are tight and well reasoned.

Cons

The company is so driven by short-term impact that it is relatively harder here to carve out large, long-term plans.

Work-life balance can be an issue.

Separation of professional life and personal life is less here than some might be comfortable with.

Internal tools and quality can be lacking -- but there is a rising commitment toward changing that.

Advice to Management

Mark Zuckerberg and senior leadership have won great admiration and respect from the employees. But what is Act II? They will need to be amazingly inspired to continue growing on the company's spectacular success, without damaging the culture or forking off into a diverging pile of new risky businesses.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

- Incredibly mission driven
    - Fantastic executive team (Mark & Sheryl)
    - The smartest people to work with
    - Benefits

Cons

- As the company has grown, harder to see individual impact which impacts motivation
    - Also, company's functional structure means there are multiple teams / reporting structures to navigate; duplication of work; lack of big picture tying different efforts together
    - While lateral career move options are many, after a certain level, upward growth options seem far and few in-between

7. "Best place in Bay area"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FB takes care of their employees really really well.

Cons

You get little used to all the perks.

8. "Great Place"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Facebook as an intern

Pros

- Treated as full time employee (meaningful work, expected independence, etc...)
    - PERKS: Amazing campus, free food, gym, health care, fitness reimbursement

Cons

- Lots of pressure
    - I work alot (no overtime pay though)

"Most fulfilling place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seven year into my professional career and 4 companies later, hands down the best place I have ever worked at.

Quality of work
    - Working with the smartest people in the world makes me smarter and improves the quality of my work
    - Being able to define my role and my impact brings the company's mission closer to my passion

Quality of life
    - 100% organic, in-house cooked meals 3 times a day + stocked micro-kitchens
    - Best medical coverage + world class medical facilities on campus
    - Shipping facility, laundry, bike repair shop, gym, transportation, IT help desks at every corner, access to all kinds of tools and facilities
    - + a lot more..

Cons

I am 6 months in, and except for a few weekends I spent doing extra work, I can't think of any other con.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

10. "application engineer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor

Pros

food, working environment, code base, mission

Cons

more people than last year, crowded, waiting food

Showing 1,434 of 2,129 reviews