Facebook Software Engineer(Internship) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2019

Found 1451 reviews

4.4
  1. Featured Review

"It’s hard to overstate how great everyone is here"

Current Employee - Product Design Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at lots of other companies and the range of talent, skill, and professionalism usually varied widely. So far my experience at Facebook has been working with amazingly smart, talented, and just super kind, fun people. Forget all the other many perks. This is the best part for me.

Cons

Sometimes there are just too many things going on. It’s challenging to put things in perspective and make sure you live a balanced life. It I think you could say this at any job that you truly enjoy.

Advice to Management

Try and keep things that are working and modify things that need to be fixed as we scale.

Facebook2019-08-25

October 9, 2019Global Brand Partnerships Manager

Thank you for this feedback. We're very happy to have you here. Our incredible colleagues make this a very special place to work!

2. "Best work of your career"

Current Employee - Learning and Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing work and meaningful challenges Solid people and community

Cons

Intense workload so you need to manage your time well to have good balance

Advice to Management

Keep leading in unconventional ways—it works...

Facebook2019-10-16

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible benefits - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance - Lots of autonomy - Tons of room for growth - Very transparent from the top down - Strong leadership - Intelligent and caring colleagues - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it. - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook2017-02-17

April 17, 2017Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to your HR Business Partner.

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them... - Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg,... Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real. - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else. - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere. - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance. - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible. Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done;... no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so. Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook2016-02-17

March 31, 2016Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

5. "best place"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

best culture and pay and would come work here

Cons

hard to get in

Facebook2019-10-14

"Know what you are getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Facebook is a good company to work for. They pay well. They have great perks. At the beginning, life is good. Facebook rewards ambition.

Cons

The appeal quickly wears off. Your experience at Facebook highly depends on the team you join. Facebook does not have the best people managers. If you join a team with a good manager who knows the system, you will be more likely to have a productive, prosperous time at Facebook. If you join a team with a bad manager, your work-life balance will be horrible. You will feel extreme pressure with the Performance... cycle review every six months. Worse yet, you may even blame yourself for what's happening, not realizing the role your manager plays until it is too late. Facebook is a good company for new college graduates. Even with a bad experience, you can learn so much about practical, applied technology here. For those with several years of experience, or with family commitments, be careful. Come into Facebook with a clear sense of what you need from Facebook that you cannot get anywhere else. Be prepared to leave when that is delayed, or not a possibility, or comes at a cost to your family or external commitments. For most people, Facebook is not a company that you join and happily work at for the rest of your life. Facebook is a temporary stop that will squeeze as much productivity out of you as it can. When that stops, it forces you out or makes you want to leave.

Facebook2019-08-19

"Doesn't get any better than working at Facebook"

Current Employee - Datacenter Capacity Engineer in Altoona, IA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Benefits - Teamwork - Work Culture - Flexibility - Pay - Structure

Cons

I have no cons here.

Facebook2019-10-07
  8. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO was really laid back and trusted his employees.

Cons

It was just a lot of work and really always busy.

Facebook2019-10-10
  9. "ux researcher univ. grad"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

free food and transport are great

Cons

very busy, fast paced, work/life balance poor

Facebook2019-10-10
  10. "Fast Paced"

Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the fast pace of the company Lots of perks (401k, free food, therapy, 21 days PTO, WFH once a week, ...) Weekly Q&As with Mark You get to work with smart people

Cons

Focused on short term impact for evaluation during performance reviews every 6 months

Facebook2019-10-09