Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 1, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 174 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 47 reviews)

"Don't speak up. Sit quietly and don't rock the boat. Be happy"

Pros

Looks good on resume. Free food

Cons

The customer is a commodity. Complain or try and expose the scams advertisers are engaging in and you are removed.

Advice to Management

Customer service is not to be dispensed with a computer algorithm. Real people exist. It matters

"BiZ Apps Team in Facebook"

Pros

Its an amazing company to work. Though the team is not.
    People will be given option to choose the team after they are hired.
    The Company shuttles are extremely helpful in working even while we commute.(No Fun)
    The IT Support is extremely quick and very helpful.
    The Food and rest are very yummy. Every day You might have to think what cuisine should I choose today. What ever you choose, It will just be there on campus.

Cons

I was into BizApps team at Facebook. Facebook is an amazing company to work but the team is not.

All the above was only to an extent and the critical part which had really kept me under pressure was

There were three people who were asked to develop three Modules. later they asked me to integrate the other Modules into mine. What others developed is just an initial version and UI, Javascript wasn`t following any standard. Later when I was integrating I had to rework everything from level 0. project manager, Manager, Team Lead, UI Expert were all supervising my work. When ever they pass by my desk, they would ask me to make few changes may it be to the Layouts, data to be displayed etc. the worst part is that their opinions do not match at all.
    for instance .. Project Manager would stop by my desk and asks me to change the layout and I obey and customize the layout to include that change. Later team lead would stop by and says "This is disgusting Layout. better change it. when I change it taking his suggestions. Manager would stop by and says its the worst that he has ever seen in his life and asks me to include his recommendations. Later UI expert comes and commands me not to follow instructions of any others and to just follow his recommendations as he is the UI expert. When I do that Others (Project Manager, Manager etc) hate the changes and I was evaluated low in performance.

In the due course I was evaluated low in performance and I was blamed for missing the dead line.

I did try to convey my situation to people but no action was taken.

3. "Company Culture"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

Literally none for me. The perks and stuff are good to have - but you can't have people treating you in a condescending manner

Cons

Copied from pros section - you can't have people treating you in a condescending manner. That is all I had to say.

Advice to Management

This is what happens when you hire people based solely on how good of programmers they are. You end up with people who don't know how to respect other people

"Been taken for a ride"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

Pays very well, fun events, free food, overall largesse

Cons

The company "culture", if exists, is a culture of a sweatshop. Developers are forced to work overtime, and there is an overall atmosphere of fear and uncertainty.
    Developers are usually treated like a second-class by management. The engineering levels are arranged in such a way that one cannot simply stay at a junior or mid- engineering levels; there are mandatory time limits by when an engineer should move up. Once he/she reaches level 5, the bar is set very high: an engineer is expected to drive big projects, work very efficiently. This is very similar to "up or out" scheme. Every half a year is a review cycle, which everyone is dreading. It is an unpredictable quagmire of getting peer quotes, which managers twist in any way they want. Anything that is taught at bootcamp is usually a lie. This place is full of hypocrisy.

Advice to Management

You are useless.

"HR Admin- Austin"

Former Employee - HRIS Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - HRIS Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, exciting, challenging, dynamic, a lot of smart people, good training offered, free food and amenities. Good growth opportunities, some genuinely good people there

Cons

The people in the Austin office are brutal. I felt like I was in high school again. They bash each other, gossip and belittle 'outsiders' or people they don't know. I overheard the 'senior' employees belittling me and making fun of a physical condition I have SEVERAL times. They smile to your face but they are passive aggressive and outright mean. And I performed very well at my job, loved my team in CA, and loved the company. But some of those 'lifetime' FB people are poisoning the culture. I had to leave after a year. And good luck telling anyone. It's career suicide

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable for how they treat others, especially people who are different, people coming from different cities and people with physical and social challenges.

7. "Dba"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor

Pros

Comforts & Benefits are Awesome
    Awesome Free lunch dinner with breakfast
    Fast pace technologies, Very good to learn and meet top notch tech folks

Cons

Worst Management
    Worst culture of work
    Contractors treated as Literally Slaves

Advice to Management

Change the Middle level management Or Enlighten them how to treat the employees

8. "worst place i ever worked"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Food was high quality and delicious

Cons

manager was a nutjob and paranoid

"Unethical employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people in Engineering and Product organizations,
    Learning how Facebook has scaled/ growth strategies was rewarding especially once I left Facebook

Cons

Week I moved across the country for the job, I was told the team I joined to be on no longer existed. Forth manager I had in my first four months later kept from me that the work I was hired to do was being removed from Facebook's objectives.

Some seniors managers keep secrets and are horrible to work for. There's lots of truth to the saying, "I joined for the company and left because of my manager." Facebook a really, really good at selling its kool-aid story to employees. (It's why they have great ratings on Glassdoor IMO.) If you are in a position or team that is dissolved, you only have 4 weeks to find a new job, which isn't much time at all.

Advice to Management

Don't ever offer someone a job and have them move only to tell them the job doesn't exist.
    Hire more ethical people. Not cool that the person that hired me left in my first two months because he saw the writing on the wall.

"Great company, terrible recruiting organization"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Great for young kids with almost no experience, where they can program you into their FB cult. Terrible place if you are a mature, serious professional. The environment rewards people who like to brag, boast, and broadcast their awesomeness. If you work hard but humble and quiet, you will not succeed here. Also, management in general, refuses to fix problems with the process. Performance reviews are geared towards those brown nose the best.

Cons

It feels like a cult for young, single people. Mature professionals with families need not apply. If you do manage to join, be prepared to be surrounded by rah rah rah, lots of brown nosing, politics, eating, drinking, and going to the gym with your co-workers is almost required if you want to get ahead here. If you don't join the herd with a smile on your face, you'll certainly feel like an outcast and will be on the black list. Manager smile to your face, tell you what you want to hear, then will stab you in the back. Extremely immature organization. They also make it nearly impossible to hit your goals once you are at a senior level, and then they will fine a way to phase you out and replace you with someone younger.

Advice to Management

Provide management/leadership training prior to promoting someone to a leadership role.

"Not a Diverse Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employment brand and perks

Cons

Was attracted to FB because of its Diversity message but it was a sad illusion. I'm HIspanic and women and since I joined the company they put me this HIspanic tag. Don't feel included by my peers and even by my manager, who is a global leader. Internally the company believes they include the people but never dare to deeply talk about the non inclusive culture we have here (Maning Bias training and tribes are only the top of this iceberg). Some Latinos friend already left the company and I might be the next.

Advice to Management

Be honest to yourselfs and face the true, we are not ready to bring diverse to the company.

Showing 40 of 1,946 reviews