Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 17, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 217 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 58 reviews)

"Life as a Contractor"

Current Contractor - Community Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Community Operations in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food all around campus.
    Shuttle services from home to work and vice versa
    You get to explore the hq everyday!

Cons

Transparent as they say to be, as Contractors, we are treated as second class citizens.
    Not invited to majority of Facebooks major events.
    No benefits.
    We are not told in advance of major changes as to where we will be reassigned in terms of office location. As we are only told in two weeks advance. This limits us to prior preparation in our life situations as this affects us greatly.
    Not being heard of for suggestions and no events for contractors as you collaborate only with each other.
    They will squeeze your skills and talents and toss you away afterwards.
    Contract to hire is a very rare case. 1 in 100 chance. Its like winning the lottery.

Advice to Management

Listen to your contractors. They play a vital role and very dedicated in their work.
    Inform the team as soon as possible in regards to major changes. They deserve to know.

"Meh"

Pros

Facebook is a nice place to work and has good perks. However, there are far too many contractors and most managers just don’t care about the daily grind of an individual contributor. Goals are not set up effectively. People get fired at random!

Cons

You are just another employee. Little fish, big angry pond of sharks. If you have been there since the beginning you are not leaving. No growth, very self serving.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at how you treat people.

3. "Referral Program Specialist"

Former Contractor - Referral Specialist
    Former Contractor - Referral Specialist

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks and having Facebook on your resume means getting your next job will be much easier.

Cons

The management of the referral program is very inexperienced and uninspiring. It seems like some of the management was great at the individual contributor level and then promoted because they were there the longest.

-The position offers no career development. Just a dead end jog.
    -It is boring repetitive assembly line type work. Not mentally stimulating at all.

Advice to Management

Build a team where people are excited about the actual job they are doing, not because of free food and perks.

"Amazing, until it wasn't"

Former Employee - User Experience Researcher
    Former Employee - User Experience Researcher

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to start your career - lots of smart people around you, lots of learning really fast, and the opportunity to work on one of the biggest most exciting tech products that exists.

Having had a job at Facebook makes it pretty easy to at least get interviews anywhere else.

The perks and benefits are also fantastic, and the pay is great.

Cons

SO MANY.

Again, the glamor of working at Facebook was enough, for a while. And when the company and research team were smaller, it was a lot better.

But now, the research culture at Facebook is *TOXIC*. Management is full of people who are there because they want to further their careers, not because they want to help their team members grow. I had a string of awful managers, one of whom actively discouraged me from following my ambitions. (Note that not all managers are awful, some were amazing and I sought them out as mentors instead of my own managers.)

Being a researcher at Facebook - especially from 2015 on, was discouraging and miserable enough that it ruined my confidence in my own abilities. Researchers were competitive with each other, and instead of focusing on improving the product, focused on edging out their colleagues for opportunities and recognition.

I know several wonderful people who left the company because of the toxic atmosphere and poor management.

Advice to Management

Listen to ICs when they say that management is making them miserable.

Promote people because they truly embody the Facebook management ethos (management is a support role!), not because they think it will look good on their resumes.

Don't be afraid to fire people who are bad at their jobs.

Be more deliberate about how you grow a team.

Facebook Response

Dec 12, 2017 – Global Director of Recruiting Programs

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We know managers have a huge impact on a person's experience, so we're working to make sure our managers have the tools, resources and training they need to... More

5. "Ads Integrity analyst"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor

Pros

Free food, video games and laid back atmosphere

Cons

Very disorganized and they treat contractors worse than actual full time employees. Will change hours with out consulting you first

6. "Metrics driven, Toxic recruitment environment, worst contracting experience, sold the dream which never came true."

Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free food
    - High hr rate
    - Casual environment
    - Open floor plan with nice amenities
    - Good support from other employees

Cons

- Metric driven, felt like I was working for a recruitment agency.
    - Super stressful
    - Micromanagement
    - Managers favor employees.
    - Different rules for different teams.
    - Contractors are left out of most events, even the Christmas party.
    - Third party agencies are pretty much unresponsive. (3 weeks accrued leave, expensive healthcare)
    - Manager who didn't have time for the team.

Advice to Management

Offer more support/be more responsive to your team.
    Treat everyone the same and don't have favorites.
    Have more consistencies across the recruitment group.

"Good Perks and work zero"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Food...Its better to call as a Facebook restaurant. So much free food.
    Transportation .....Too good transportation facilities.
    Perks ....Very nice perks for employees (I heard)

Cons

Work....No challenging work at all, just they will make it as hype saying "challenging environment with move fast". Actually they is not at all challenging work and slow compared to many other companies.

Hiring.....Waste. None of the management (Don't know about top management, I am saying about mid level management) know what exactly they want. Every one in FB is under a shell thinking that "They are the best". So much attitude by every employee as if they are inventing a new rocket.

Advice to Management

Try to come down and understand the reality in the market. None of you guys are great compared to many other companies. Only Mark's ideas and brain is keeping you all safe!!!

8. "Nothing is good except for pay"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The perks and benefits were awesome. The pay was above average.
    Flexible in terms of hours and location.

Cons

Bullying -Unrealistic goals & deadlines being set all the time and failure to meet them might mean discipline. Workload was ever expanding without recognition in rank or pay. In my opinion, this is workplace bullying.

Incompetent managers - Encountered a few micromanagers with little expertise in "people management." Routinely told me how to do my job because they felt "coaching" employees was part of their job and some inherent sense that they were smarter than those reporting to them. Some were dictatorial in how the work was done and didn't base their decisions on expertise or data primarily because they didn't have any. Retaliation used by managers was commonplace for any disagreements.

Stealing credit for other people's work - Was common and no action was taken against those despite the proof being provided to managers.

Dog fight - Competition between co workers is implicitly encouraged or promoted with the survival of the best tactics being used by a lot of managers.

Was also orally told not to work more than 40 hrs per week (aka in other words not bill overtime). Quite frankly illegal although my pay was above average.

If you are a contractor, you will be treated like a second class citizen. Most FTE employees have a chip on the shoulder of being smarter than you. The exclusion of contractors in pulse surveys also makes it a bit unfair competition for contractors.

Promotions - Not fair. My perception is that women will likely get promoted ahead of men.

Overall a toxic & negative work environment.

Advice to Management

You need good people managers. Facebook sorely lacks them. Include contractors in the Pulse / polling surveys.

"So-so"

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Free food, more food, sweets, more food for free.

Cons

Expected to be there 10 hours and that is why there is a free food

"Disorganized and malfunctioning. Good only if you like corporate games"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It used to be a fun place to work, but now it feels more like a grind house for thousands of engineers.

- Your work affects millions of people. At least they tell you so.
    - Good food and cool campus. So it gives 2nd star.

Cons

- Hidden stack ranking. Everybody has to go through half year reviews. Good luck with your manager and your work! Nobody cares what exactly you did or how you did. They look at metrics and your impact, which is a BS term for making people work hard. It's not a product driven company.
    - It's a metrics driven company. You have to compete with recent grads. If you think you can actually make an impact, you're delusional. You're there to oblige your manager. That's it. Metrics, metrics, metrics. If you're behind in metrics, then shame on you! You let down your manager, your team and entire company. It's not any different than what it used to be at IBM or Yahoo and what actually killed those companies.

Advice to Management

Run away.

Facebook Response

Sep 25, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

At the core of what we do is our mission - to give people the power to build community and to bring the world closer together. All decisions should come back to whether we are moving the needle on... More

Showing 91 of 2,457 reviews