Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 24, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 182 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 49 reviews)

"Poor Work Culture"

Former Employee - UI Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - UI Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Extremely talented staff
    - Excellent development environment
    - Strong feedback in code reviews
    - Flexible work location
    - Convenient services provided (shuttles, food, laundry, gym, etc)

Cons

- Terrible work life balance
    - Myopic semiannual performance reviews (straight up Hunger Games)
    - No vision or direction for products
    - Competitive and poorly adjusted coworkers (the average engineer is very strange)

Advice to Management

Don't allow people with very limited work experience to become managers. All of my managers were terrible, had extremely limited vision, and could not keep the team cohesive and motivated.

May 24, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

We appreciate your feedback. Taking care of our people is a top priority and as we grow and scale, we will continue to invest significantly in growing the company's future leaders.

"Data Analyst"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Free food
    - Depending on manager you work on your own time

Cons

- If you want to convert you still have to go through the interview process depending on your position
    - Contingent workers can't use gym, dental clinic, or health clinic
    - You are a second class citizen at Facebook
    - Even if your team wants to keep you, it is not up to them but the company.

Advice to Management

- Fix the contingent worker to Full-time employee conversion rate.
    - Give teams more power to hire who they want.

"Facebook Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Work life balance, we do not punch a clock

Cons

Management is lacking focus on the teams.

Advice to Management

Listen to your subordinates.

"Only for internship or short (6month to 1 year) gig."

Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Food provided at no charge by numerous full time chefs/eateries, offering more varied chef prepared dishes from all over the world
    - Decent number of bright individuals. The highlight of my time was working with people who were smarter than me in their respective areas.
    - Lovely modern campuses, however open floor plans to an extreme extent
    - Exciting technologies to work with
    - Often seeing world events in real time
    - Bike shop with great technicians

Cons

- High turnover (1-2 years is max for extremely high percentage of workers).
    - Work life balance is not great depending on your team. 10-12 hour work days were common. Burn out breeding ground.
    - Company has an overly political culture that can be overwhelming for introverts or strong opinions in not currently popular slants.
    - Facebook 50: "Free Food, Drinks, and various freshly baked sweets and ice cream".
    - Large contractor workforce and everything that brings.
    - Company growth has attracted some of opportunistic middle managers that are decidedly lacking in engineering disciplines, technical expertise, and overall poor managers.

Despite many positives, I found the environment at Facebook left a sour taste in my mouth. There are a some good people working there but I found those were never in my direct teams.

I would NOT recommend for anything more than an a internship, or a 6 month to 1 year gig. If you do come: don't rent an apartment, instead get a room, save all your money, don't work more than 6-8 hours (despite immense pressure to), and understand high probability of turnover particularly in non-core teams (things like internal IT, finance, business orgs).

Advice to Management

Consider transitioning contracted workers to full time for internal corporate resources if possible. Please treat workers who aren't working out or not a great fit with a bit more human decency on the way out.

"Hell for Contractors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Free food
    Happy hour/free alcohol
    Open work space
    Technology
    Weird themed rooms

Cons

Contractors are treated like subhumans, not allowed to certain events

Contractors through certain companies have no one acting on their behalf or acting as liaisons between Facebook and the contracting company

Entire teams can and do get laid off with no warning

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors like human beings

Make sure you have people in place to act as liaisons between Facebook and the contracting company

Give your contractors some job security

Be more transparent

Use direct language; don't hedge reports and updates with fluffy language and idealism

"Product Support (Not every team is created equal)"

Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Support Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Benefits
    Food
    Gym
    Youthful Culture
    Great Executives
    Very smart people (engineers)
    Beautiful campus

Cons

Not every team is created equal at Facebook. I'm a Product Support Specialist at Facebook working under the Global Shared Services department. Unfortunately, the role that was stated in the JD is not the role that I am in.

I was told the Product Support role would be a precursor to Product Management and that you will be spending a lot of time strategizing and helping product teams with their product roadmaps. A couple weeks in, and I soon realized that this role is purely operational and SLA based. We manned bug reports on a daily basis. Everything was numbers driven, but not in the right way. We were encouraged to analyze the tickets to find ways to improve SLA.

Leadership is quite weak. They only listen to our goals and aspirations but neither help us or nor point us to the right direction. Most of the team don't plan to stay for long. Everyone seems to have a plan B or to be using this role as a springboard to another one within Facebook.

Although I hear great things from other teams, this one is not it.

Advice to Management

When hiring for new recruits, don't sell them on what the team will be in 2 years. Let them know what is the current state of the team. Be honest about how much time is spent on day-to-day "tasks"

Try to be a leader and not numbers driven for your own career benefits.

Facebook is an open company, uphold those cultures.

Feb 7, 2017 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for your feedback. We'll share this with our Global Shared Services and Recruiting teams to ensure that we're setting clear and transparent role expectations, as well as developing our ... More

"Mediocre"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

The most attractive aspect of working at Facebook was the lay prestige. The salary was competitive and, of course, one of the big reasons to work there, but you can get that somewhere else relatively easily.

Cons

The work itself was not very interesting, and there were a few months I got stuck doing absolutely abysmal maintenance work on old code. Among management, there are a few bad apples that can make working there less pleasant.

Advice to Management

I left Facebook quite a while ago, and things change quickly, so I'm not sure how much of this advice is relevant but I can say a couple of things. Firstly, employees should be given more freedom over what kind of work they are doing. This can possibly be implemented in the form of 20% time personal projects or something like that. Secondly, high performers should be more publicly recognized.

"A Once Amazing Culture is Slipping Away"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing amount of perks - food, a truly "frictionless" IT department, etc. The benefits package is the best I've ever seen and gets re-examined every year to adapt to the changing company population. Facebook, the company, is amazing. What the company is doing to connect the world is something that is truly astonishing and amazing. Being able to work for an employer that is changing the world before our eyes is something not many people will ever get the chance to say they were a part of!

Cons

The culture of some of the departments is slipping away faster than most people would like to admit. The company is becoming more and more "corporate" with more politics settling in. This ranges from managers hiring friends and old colleagues, completely bypassing our interview process, to putting "policies" in place against company culture that puts unnecessary roadblocks in place, slowing down productivity. The company is growing, which can be appreciated, but the amount of emphasis that is being put on us that we need to move to being "more corporate" is completely against what the company was built on.

Advice to Management

TRUST your employees. A little bit of trust goes a long way. This isn't the government or a large corporation - this is Facebook - a once choice employer who is getting eroded by managers doing their best to build an empire and put as many layers of insulation between them and their lowest ranking employees.

"Really great initially but things have gone way downhill over the past few years as the company has grown"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

The food; still some smart, experienced, talented people who work there; good compensation.

Cons

Impact you can have now is severely limited. Reviews are based on impact, career progression is unobtainable. Sexism is rampant.

Advice to Management

A large percentage of employees are burning out. You need to look into this problem urgently and fix it.

May 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

We care deeply about our employees and work hard to support our people in their personal and professional growth. Our HR Business Partners and managers are here to remove barriers. We encourage our ... More

"Looks good on the outside...."

Current Employee - Public Content in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Public Content in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

They have some great ideas that are inspirational. There is never a stop to the ongoing activities and overwhelming number of events. Coworkers are peers of all ages and backgrounds which makes for a unique dynamic around the office

Cons

Biggest common issue over my 1 year here: They don't practice what they preach (ie. Culture and work/life balance opportunities). The management team looks down on everyone. No one can advance beyond an entry level position. You get an idea that gets bought or get stuck in an entry level type job for your "career" with barely above avg pay rates. I know that this is a competitive industry but sometimes the stupid people win just because they have the right connection. Bad employees stay while realistic workers realize the mistreatment and all leave within a year. I'm not making this up. Go look up Facebook's overall turnover ratio and tell me how that could lead to happy employees. Every SINGLE person on my initial project was lied to about their working hours (expect 9-5 and told 9-5 then made work overnight/graveyard shifts), benefits (only get to go on campus when with a supervisor), and team management. Too often we are told that our ideas will be considered then a manager gets promoted to a new project for spearheading such an idea.

Advice to Management

Learn to actually communicate and not alienate employees on new projects. Foll

Apr 18, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback. It's so important that everyone is open and honest when discussing work expectations. If you haven't already, please reach out to your HR ... More

Showing 76 of 2,046 reviews