Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Facebook Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 208 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 55 reviews)

1. "Good for an internship"

Pros

Good perks. High wages. Enjoyable Work.

Cons

Not for researchers/doctorate degree holders unless you are in Machine Learning. Evaluation criteria is not great. There is serious lack of communication within teams.

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work hours, generally passionate and smart people

Cons

Encountered lots of nasty things. Toxic environment, racism, favoritism, etc. Overall not nearly as bad as Uber, but once you are a certain size and you've been there long enough you'll encounter these things.

Talked to a bunch of people before I left and management issues (incompetency) were very widespread, as fb favors internal promotions over outside hires.

Oct 10, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

We're sorry to hear you experienced this. Our culture is of the utmost importance to our mission and growth. We remain dedicated to investing in our people and creating an inclusive environment... More

3. "Great company for fulltime employees, contractors not so great."

Current Contractor - Technical Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, access to data, beautiful Thunderbolt monitors!

Cons

The hours would be okay except they have an office in Singapore which limits when meetings can be held. So, if meeting is with a Singapore team, Friday's are out because it's the weekend, and the only options are 5 pm or later. So I end up have meetings until 8pm. It's really wears on me.

I think Facebook treats its contractors like 2nd class citizens. Even though we sign all the NDAs, and have access to all kinds of information, we're still not allowed to attend All Hands even when that information is important to doing out jobs.

We're also not allowed to:
    - use the gym
    - work from home (official policy but not enforced. Also stupid because most the company works from home on Wed but contractors are still expected to be in the office.
    - no swag for contractors! The whole dept could be given a hoody but not contractors. Even when there are extras they go in the closet rather than give one to a contractor. This is more insulting than anything else because it's such an obvious "You're not one of us."

And the kicker... when I started I was told 6 mo and then it converts to a full time role. When I got hear I was told, no you need to contract for a year and then we'll see about helping you find a full time role (so this one won't convert?). Last week I talked to someone who just converted to full time. I asked her how long it took and she said 1 yr, 8 mo. That's a long time to go without insurance, a 401k, PTO, holiday and sick pay.

Advice to Management

If you want contractors to feel included why not just include them? Some of these things are weirdly arbitrary and just seem to be meant to draw a distinction but have no other purpose. What you're doing makes us feel like guests instead of part of the company. It's just not cool. Please stop it.

4. "software engineer intern"

Pros

good benefits, food is awesome

Cons

push, work life not balance. teammate are not equality for the university intern.

5. "facebook"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free food, transportation benefits, gym reimbursment

Cons

meeting intensive culture, politics, changing priorities

"Preserve positive team cultures"

Current Employee - Researcher in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to work on high impact products. Fast moving pace which is fun and exciting.

Cons

New managers are poorly trained which leads to the worst type of management style - micromanagement. Senior team members are reporting to managers who are below their job level. This stifles the opportunity for senior people to grow. I would urge leadership to carefully select managers and think seriously about the impact that junior managers have on a team. Overall research team culture can be very cliquey and being honest with your feedback can come with a price. Junior folks appear to have huge egos and want to get ahead regardless of whether or not they are doing the right thing for the team.

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to keep the company culture positive and healthy. Some teams at Facebook have a very open and healthy culture where honest feedback is valued. Sadly other teams do not reflect the company values.

Sep 25, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We are committed to growing and supporting our people at all levels and will share this feedback with our internal teams to ensure our manager programs are... More

"Hard to move roles or even move up (which is expected)"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

1. Very open culture.
    2. Management team is open to feedback and is probably the best you will find in the tech world.
    3. Conducts pulse survey to get a sense of employee's opinions and is taken quite seriously.
    4. Work is quite challenging and the perks are probably one of the best in the industry

Cons

1. If you are in ops, it is really hard to have leverage, since it is an engineering-centric company, which is expected and ops is considered more "support" and "cleaning up the mess" type of role.
    2. Because FB is quite the name, it is easier to hire a new person than hire someone internally. Since every single employee here, there are tons of other talented people outside that can be hired. So turnover happens for those that burnout or are stagnating in their roles and cannot progress. If you are in a non-tech role, it can feel like you are "replaceable" because there are 100's if not 1000's of people waiting in line to get your role that does something that is not as advanced as coding or building production code.
    3. work/life balance as most say can take a toll on you, but this is up to you take control.
    4. because everyone is really talented and the best, it is hard to get promoted unless you are the most prolific unicorn amongst all of the unicorns. It is still, however, a good starting point if you get hired.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive even as FB grows quite rapidly, as that is what makes people stay. Don't lose the focus on the employees and also think about those that are at the bottom of the pyramid in the company and those that are not necessarily building software or products like engineers/research scientists.

Sep 25, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

Thanks for sharing your feedback. As we grow and scale, we will not forget that people are at the heart of everything we do. We care about building community inside and out. Across our many orgs... More

"Facilities Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Benefits, I love the CEO and COO, there is amazing job stability, there is opportunity to attend conferences and learn, the company provides a fun atmosphere for their employees, the work is interesting, the people are interesting

Cons

I am stuck at this level, men are provided with more opportunities, strategy is an opportunity for lazy people to hide behind and do nothing.

Advice to Management

Make changes that do not cripple people from advancing. When advancing people, make a thorough evaluation of their peers and look at qualifying skills. To move a less qualified, less experienced person in position over a woman only shows sexism and support for the males position as the bread winner for the family. The female gets completely discounted and humiliated, this does not promote retention.

"Good money, but hard work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation, good reputation, free food & snack

Cons

Too much pressure, hard to maintain work-life balance, lots of competition, some politics

Aug 9, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

We are just getting started especially with our evolved mission of bringing the world closer together. Thank you for joining us on this journey. We'll share your feedback with our teams to further... More

"Obvious pros, but cons are real"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

Top compensation and benefits, working with people who are the best at what they do and push you to do your best work, company trusts their employees, lots of visibility from senior management.

Cons

Reviews cause an unhealthy amount of anxiety among employees, sink or swim environment. Managers are expected to be in this role because they like people management and there is no additional comp for this role nor does the amount of time spent managing or mentoring get reflected in reviews. This creates a situation where there is little incentive to be a great manager and many of them are more focused on their own career growth. Work/life balance on many teams is terrible. There's a lot of lip service about it, but it continues to be a huge problem.

Advice to Management

Reward managers for helping develop employees. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and managers should not only be asked to care about their people, they should get "credit" during the review cycle for it, so, that it incentivizes them to better support employees.

Jul 13, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

We appreciate your feedback, and will share your suggestions with our internal teams to help improve overall employee success and experience.

Showing 164 of 2,341 reviews