Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends

1,717 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to manage (in 187 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 50 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to ... More

"Facebook is the best company I've ever been an employee and is better than most I know off 2nd hand."

Current Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Fast growing, adaptive and supportive environment. Lots of incredibly smart, motivated and fun people. The company cares about its employees and that is overwhelmingly evident by how they treat them, the awesome things they do for them and how everyone interacts.

Cons

Honestly I'm not sure I could name any yet. I suspect the Software Engineers work long hours, but I'm pretty sure they do it from love and enjoyment rather than a requirement by anyone. There has to be some downside, but I can't think of any. Sorry.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It works really well in my opinion.

"Smart, growing company with lots of opportunities for creative problem solving"

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Smart people you can admire and respect, strong business model, challenging scale issues that provide ample opportunities for creative problem solving, fast-paced environment. This likely results from the stringent hiring processes (100 phone screens to 1 offer)

Cons

long hours, mild politics, management is inexperienced - typical for a company growing from a startup mode towards a more mature company

Advice to Management

Bring stronger discipline to effectively channel employee creativity and problem solving skills on to the highest priority projects

"Facebook, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

It's a great place where the company is small enough for you to make a difference, but the product is used by millions. It's great to work on something you love using every day. The hours are flexible, and the package is great- free gourmet food is served 3 meals a day. You really learn a lot, since you get thrown into the mix quite quickly. Also, the people at the company happen to be extraordinarily smart and pretty passionate.

Cons

You can work a lot right before a project gets shipped, but that's the case with a lot of engineering jobs.

Advice to Management

Good job.

"Facebook, absolutely by far, my favorite place to have ever worked!"

Former Employee - Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Everyone talks about the free food, fun environment, etc but I definitely think the most valued benefit to working at facebook is the ability to basically set your own hours, freedom to work from home when you want and as much as you want/can, and all this with little to no interference from management. It's just great to know that if you're not feeling well but not necessarily "too sick to work" you can stay home and work (they provide laptops)....oh and...sick days are not counted against your vacation if you really needed to take a real sick day anyhow.

Cons

Because of the work from home policy, you do find yourself basically working all the time in a way. Some say it's a downside, I personally loved it! As long as I got my work done my boss didn't care how much I was actually in the office. However, I do have to say, that I did NOT abuse this. I really only worked from home when I absolutely needed to. I'd say out of a year I probably worked from home maybe about 2wks worth.

Advice to Management

Develop a fair company-wide bonus structure where all employees can work towards and feel rewarded for accomplishments. A review process is also needed, but one that actually results in employer/employee feedback and raise/bonus.

"Seriously an amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

* Incredibly smart and intensely motivated peers.
    * Immense opportunity. There a ton of growth and a lot of things that can be done. People with initiative do really well here.
    * The world sees the impact of what you're working on. All my friends and family use the product and it's rewarding to work on something that keeps us all connected.
    * Amazing food. We get breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner served up by the best chefs around. Menus change daily and my favorite to date has been the Willy Wonka themed lunch menu. Sushi day is legit too.
    * Flexible work schedules. 9 to 5 is dead, work the times that best work for you and your job.
    * Fun (Game Day, random toga party, RipStiks, cool people, etc.)

Cons

There's some growing pains because of the fast company growth and the office can get a bit noisy at times. My last job was at Google and I have to say that facebook is a far better place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep being open and transparent to employees. This is one of the best parts about working at facebook and it's important that employees all are informed of why we're doing things the way we're doing them.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Open atmosphere.
    Intelligent people.
    Good food.
    High level of respect for employees.
    Always get the equipment we need.
    No complaints.

Cons

There aren't that many downsides so far. I occasionally find it hard to complete work on fridays, due to happy hour though ... :)

Advice to Management

Stay open. Listen to the technical perspective. Overall, they do a very good job. Hopefully as we grow we can maintain that.

"I have been working for over 10 years and Facebook is BY FAR the best place I have ever worked."

Current Employee - Finance in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Facebook has incredible camaraderie as well as benefits. Everyone is friends here, we work hard, but also have a great time and love coming to work every day. We get free gourmet breakfast, lunch and dinner daily from an amazing culinary team. We play basketball every week, have free beer on Friday and get to ripstick around the office. We even have games rooms and a ping pong table! The people who work here are incredibly high caliber individuals. The recruiting process is tough!

Cons

Some of the younger folks here (and there are many) have never worked anywhere else and they have no idea how good the place is. This often leads to a sense of entitlement which would never fly at another Company. Having said that, we all benefit from the extra perks that get put in place. Philz Coffee!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the long term vision and the continuous improvement in the user experience. Never rest on your laurels!

"The best place to work, period."

Current Employee - Platform Product Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Platform Product Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

3 meals + snack a day. Micro kitchens with fresh fruit, boxed lunches, and every beverage imaginable. All free. Flexible work hours, work from home, 21 days of PTO.

Cons

In Palo Alto, CA -- a bit suburban for city dwellers.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"I feel lucky every single day that I work here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Everyone seems to genuinely be invested in making the product better. People are smart, like what they do and strive to do it better than anyone else anywhere. There are so many perks and benefits, it's ridiculous. Everyone is really taken care of (and spoiled).

Cons

Distracting, loud environment. The open-desk style doesn't work for everyone (like me), I find it hard to concentrate and end up working at home more than I would like to, just to catch up.

Advice to Management

Keep moving fast and hiring the best. Thanks for the transparency and also for the awesome perks. Also, please consider some sort of cube system!

Showing 1,717 of 2,090 reviews