Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6

1,626 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 217 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"I felt like a subclass of employee at work everyday"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location.

Cons

What was promised by the recruiter on the phone and in the interviews was very different than what reality as a contractor was actually like.

There is a clear separation between you and full-time employees. Physically, your full time counter-parts, that are on your team, will either sit on the other side of the aisle or in a separate part of the office than you so that you understand that you are not one of them and have as minimal interaction with them as possible. Culturally, they talk down to you and try to make you feel less than them (yes, word gets around the office), give you the tasks none of them want to do and will also give you as little amount of responsibility as they can.

As a contractor your job will be about as repetitive as they come because the FTE's will allocate you the most mind numbing of all work at Facebook. Your job consists of 3 second intervals of decision over and over for the course of an entire day.

FTE's will have parties and day trips away from the office that you simply can not go to. What made it worse was that many times the contractors would not know that the FTE's would have the day off and the contractors would come in to work and have the entire workload on their shoulders. A prime example of how little FTE's care about you.

In one instance I was told to leave the office in the middle of my workday and find a new place to work because the full time employee's were going to have a beer pong party. The environment is very hypocritical because the walls are covered with posters about inclusion, acceptance and empowerment but Facebook Austin excludes and shuns a huge number of the people that work their.

I have never had a more aloof manager in my entire live. I think my manager though it was cool to not care about what I did. It was awful. He/She gave no instruction, no guidance, no evaluation, no conversation, no eye contact, no meetings, didnt speak assertively and with confidence. This was not a laissez-faire management. This was an I dont care management style.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring 12 month contractors and invest in people or, why not just outsource it. Contractors are put in their own corner of the office and you dont see us anyways.

Dont promise contract workers the world then give them a very underwhelming and under paid job where the feel like a subclass in their own workplace.

Encourage managers to care and/or interact with their contracts. I talked to my manager about once a month (usually when I was asked to work the weekends).

"slow career and bad management"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office environment is good in general, also having a big name on your resume may be good for the future.
    Most of the colleagues are very prepared technically.

Cons

As company grows they are trying to cut costs, objectives are unrealistically set, bonuses and promotions are considerably lower.
    If you work here on visa, pay increases and promotions are slowed down even more.
    Mid management gets packed with responsibilities, the individual contribution is no longer relevant, the general philosophy seems to be "it's normal for people to leave the company" and that happens regularly after every performance cycle or stock vesting time.
    To counterbalance this, company seems to brainwash employees with slogans, posters are everywhere around the office to make "the culture", many company employees believe and talk with slogans.
    Life/work balance is simply set to "no life".
    I've seen managers complain if someone takes more than one week off in a row, or making jokes about family duties the first day someone returns from parental leave.

Advice to Management

managers promoted from engineering are not always able to deal with people.

"No room for industry experts"

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. great benefits for people who want to have a family
    2. better pay
    3. no lack of parties

Cons

1. the company hires experienced talent but do not want to learn or respect their opinion
    2. people who know next to nothing but have been at Facebook for longer are the people who call shots
    3. the bi-yearly reviews are just a medium to back stab fellow employees

"blood factory with high pressure and intensive workload"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

good benefit, and packages.. You can learn some good stuff.

Cons

In many teams, the manager is the czar who is powerful to control everything, of course including the performance review. Be careful, don't annoy the manager, otherwise, you will be very painful no matter how good your performance is.

Advice to Management

Please scrutinize the behavior of the managers in some teams.

"software engineer"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

nothing apart from surrounded by many stubborn, hot head

Cons

This company sucks now. People are not good there.

Advice to Management

Not to put too much pressure to employee

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Good Benefits, Beautiful Campus, Good Food. The company really does a good job of providing every resource you need to do your job.

Cons

If you want to devote 50+ hrs a week to helping your Aunt Ginny post photos of her cat all so that Frito Lay can sell more Cheetos; then it's where you need to be. Nothing more than a sophisticated digital billboard slinging crap we don't need. Working at Facebook is like shoving a handful of Jolly Ranchers in your mouth while drinking orange soda; sickeningly sweet and eventually regrettable.

Advice to Management

Invest in leader development programs. Facebook is a prime example of Putt's Law in action.

"facebook software developer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

I think the employees there are prominent, the salary is good and I learnt much. I like its product and creativity.

Cons

but the hr is not so good. The food there is so-so. The environment is not charming. So I decide to other companies.

Advice to Management

hr should be good to us. manage should not be too hashed. The managers are not honesty enough, sometime they can't do sometime they promise to.

"Not a Diverse Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employment brand and perks

Cons

Was attracted to FB because of its Diversity message but it was a sad illusion. I'm HIspanic and women and since I joined the company they put me this HIspanic tag. Don't feel included by my peers and even by my manager, who is a global leader. Internally the company believes they include the people but never dare to deeply talk about the non inclusive culture we have here (Maning Bias training and tribes are only the top of this iceberg). Some Latinos friend already left the company and I might be the next.

Advice to Management

Be honest to yourselfs and face the true, we are not ready to bring diverse to the company.

"Dba"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor

Pros

Comforts & Benefits are Awesome
    Awesome Free lunch dinner with breakfast
    Fast pace technologies, Very good to learn and meet top notch tech folks

Cons

Worst Management
    Worst culture of work
    Contractors treated as Literally Slaves

Advice to Management

Change the Middle level management Or Enlighten them how to treat the employees

Showing 1,626 of 2,451 reviews