Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7

1,434 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to manage (in 192 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 51 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, strong diversity at employee level, great perks and facilities.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, intense pressure in certain teams.

Advice to Management

Work hard to maintain the culture as the company grows.

3. "Really enjoyable to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Company's open culture translates to my team very well, making it easy to communicate thoughts and feelings
    *Family oriented team, most people are out by 5, and those with kids are out by 430. Director has 3 kids, .
    *Really interesting problems to solve
    *Empathetic teammates
    *Incredible perks, company really cares about employees

Cons

*Managing "up" might not be everyone's cup of tea. Need to be independent and think for oneself, can't expect anyone to simply tell one what to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

"Read before you move your family for a job with Facebook"

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

The perks have been covered in the other reviews, so I won't address them here.

Cons

There is only one aspect of Facebook that I wanted to address, because other reviewers haven't. I learnt this the hard way. Facebook recruited me for a role in Menlo Park, I was very excited about the offer and I moved here with family from another state in Southwest. It turned out to be very bad decision. And I am still regretting it some years into Facebook. I had a set life, large team I was managing, job that I liked, house that I owned, school for kids, social life; in another part of the country. I thought Facebook will take care of everything during the move. They do take of the financial part, but they don't give you time. I went through the move while working 12 hour days. It was very painful and stressful. First couple of months were nightmarishly difficult as we struggled to provide care for our children, set-up the household and handle the tough demands of a Facebook job. All Facebook does is provide a free account at Care that costs 40 bucks. Two years later I still have boxes I haven't opened. The job turned out to have no work-life balance. The place we rent in Bay is tiny and we still pay more than we were paying in mortgage. The raise I got, get eaten up by just the higher income tax. Financially I am worse off than I was before. People rave about the weather in Bay area but I am yet to see it as I am working or traveling most weekends. The job caused a huge disruption in my family's life and two years later I am still regretting making the move.

Advice to Management

Your work culture encourages spending 24/7 at work, and a lot of people do. Understand that some people's life have family and their sole life mission is getting clicks for Facebook.

5. "Ads Risk Analyst"

Current Contractor - Ads Risk Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Ads Risk Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The environment really does seem like the perfect Instagram account.

Cons

Glass ceiling hovers like a dark cloud when you're a contractor. Very few get hired on. You have to become friends with someone in management or go get a degree in data. It doesn't matter if you are an introverted, creative with badass analytical and support skills.

Advice to Management

Have a sit down with your direct reports more often, even the ones who aren't your besties. They, too, have something to offer.

Try team building; encourage genuine conversations; uplift downtime; smile more.

"Hired into an executive role at Facebook"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

As an establish Silicon Valley executive, Facebook moved fast in courting me and offering me a competitive package.

They have excellent on-boarding and training programs: for individual contributors, for managers, and at the executive levels. Senior leadership is very approachable. Its straightforward to find good mentors and collaborative partners. The "social networking" that goes on inside the company is richly informative and generally very positive.

Despite being a large company, it retains a youthful feel, with an appetite for risk and decisive action which is dazzling given the scale and the weighty consequences that entails.

People are honest and direct, and "company politics" is discouraged by a robust culture that strives to keep alive the best of Facebook-- while also staying pragmatic and adaptable.

The company is earnest and generally unflinching in applying its principles. Especially, it moves fast and gets things done. Earnest and purposeful.

Human executed processes, around hiring and planning, are tight and well reasoned.

Cons

The company is so driven by short-term impact that it is relatively harder here to carve out large, long-term plans.

Work-life balance can be an issue.

Separation of professional life and personal life is less here than some might be comfortable with.

Internal tools and quality can be lacking -- but there is a rising commitment toward changing that.

Advice to Management

Mark Zuckerberg and senior leadership have won great admiration and respect from the employees. But what is Act II? They will need to be amazingly inspired to continue growing on the company's spectacular success, without damaging the culture or forking off into a diverging pile of new risky businesses.

7. "Best career move ever!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

> Open Culture: decisions are announced openly, without sugar coating and pretence and it comes from the very top! Mark, Sheryl and all the leaders are very straight forward on their answers during the weekly Q&A - there is nothing they shine away from and, when they don't know much about the topic they either find somebody that does or follow it up.

> Real flat organisation: many other companies misinterprete what employees mean by 'flat organisation' - they are not talking about the number levels between junior and senior people, but on how open senior leadership is. FB doesn't make that mistake, you can talk to anybody here, from managers to directors and VPs and they all listen to you attentively, as a peer, not as a 'superior'. Employees at FB are all valued the same.

> Perks are amazing: it is not about the amount of perks, but how those perks make your life much better. Instead of trowing whatever at employees, FB conducts regular surveys to understand which benefits are valued or not and adjust them accordingly. The benefits provided by FB are geared towards making our lifes easier, so we can focus more on giving people the power to build communities and bring the world closer together.

Cons

> In the spirit of moving fast, our tools are not extremely sophisticated as they are being continuously developed. It is a price I am happy to pay to have the benefit of doing whatever I need to accomplish the company's goals.

> Working with smart and ambitious people is amazing, but can, at times, make you feel an 'impostor' - I think everyone here does feel like that sometimes, but if well taken, can only make us continuously improve and become a better professional

Advice to Management

> Continue listening to everybody's ideas, no matter from which level, even if sometimes they sound a bit off, most of the times they have some wonderful insights.

8. "Best place in Bay area"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FB takes care of their employees really really well.

Cons

You get little used to all the perks.

9. "good company"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Welfare is very good,The environment is very good

Cons

The environment is very good

Advice to Management

non

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

- Incredibly mission driven
    - Fantastic executive team (Mark & Sheryl)
    - The smartest people to work with
    - Benefits

Cons

- As the company has grown, harder to see individual impact which impacts motivation
    - Also, company's functional structure means there are multiple teams / reporting structures to navigate; duplication of work; lack of big picture tying different efforts together
    - While lateral career move options are many, after a certain level, upward growth options seem far and few in-between

Showing 1,434 of 2,130 reviews