Facebook User operations Reviews | Glassdoor

Facebook user operations Reviews

user operationsCurrent Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 205 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 55 reviews)

"An average experience"

Current Employee - Analyst, User Operations in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Analyst, User Operations in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You get to work on pretty much whatever you suggest
    - Good benefits

Cons

- Because people get to work on whatever they feel like there are a lot of resources that are wasted
    - There is a lot of core work. Eg. You have to get through x amounts of requests from users per days

Advice to Management

There does not seem to be any plan as to where or how anybody can make a career on Facebook, in particular in User Operations in Dublin as the management team seems to not have put much thought into career development.

"The best job I have ever had"

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Management genuinely cares about staff happiness, career pathing, growth and personal development. As the company scales, you get a sense that everyone wants to retain the hack culture, the ability to move fast and to avoid bureaucratic systems, while offering opportunities to everyone and avoid any 'hand-picking' and keeping company politics to a minimum. The working environment is collaborative, open and focused on impact.

People. Some of the smartest people I have ever had a chance to deal with. Hard-working, fun, collaborative, creative and driven. They are not all made from the same mold and diversity is important. In Dublin, I love the multicultural environment, it is respectful of everyone's culture and creates a great vibe around the office.

Perks. Alright so the initial salary is not the highest compared to other companies I have worked for. However, the 6 monthly bonuses (performance based), stock, salary adjustment every year, free healthy delicious food all day really add up. I have had higher base salaries in previous jobs, but going to work every day without fearing what the day brings, and lower stress-levels are just priceless. Also put in the Irish/Dublin context (very very grim unemployment figures), it is a solid job with career prospects.

What we do. Putting aside the people, the cool office and many perks, I really love what I do. We support hundreds of million users across EMEA/Latin America, and working on such a scale is inspiring. I feel immensely proud of what we are achieving every day.

Cons

Work life balance can be at times poor. No one is really putting a gun to my head to work this hard, but I feel a sense of duty to our teams and our users.

As the company scale, I have seen some office politics creeping up here and there. I also hate the sense of entitlement that pops up every now and then.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Please don't let us become Google.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader User Operations in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Team Leader User Operations in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many cool things to say about where I work. I am an ex-Googler and I have had great expeirences in both companies but I would have to honestly say leaving Google to come to Facebook has been the best decision I ever made.

We are all so busy, there is no time for politics and BS. We are solving huge problems and the work we do is played out on such a huge scale. Having this level of impact and being part of a relatively tiny team means you can really feel the value of the work you do. I love that we do not hyper hire, I love the fact that we hire such great people, people with a sense of purpose and some of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure to work with.

WE have great amenities as well. Everything you need is here at the office. People don't mind coming into work, people are genuinely happy to be here and you cannot fake this atmosphere.

Feedback is well received and management do an awesome job of actioning this and listening to employees.

Cons

The salary is not the highest I have ever had but the perks, bonus, annual salary and stock reviews etc make this better and there is an emphasis on performance based increases, so hard work is really well rewarded.

Its a fast moving place which I also love but can be challenging as things we work on can change quickly so you need to be super adaptable but the dynamic nature of the role and the company makes it interesting and never dull.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, keep listening and keep shipping!!! :)

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - User Operations Specialist in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - User Operations Specialist in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work with some of the best brains in the industry and also get to interact with highly learned and experienced people. Work culture is awesome.

Cons

Free food and calories :)

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and help in maintaining the flat org culture

5. "Best company to work for!"

Current Employee - User Operations in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's so much fun to work for Facebook. Amazing perks and benefits. Free breakfast, lunch, dinner. They respect your work style - no set start/end times. Culture built on feedback, all levels are very receptive to listen to your opinion. no bureaucracy, transparent, impactful

Cons

I really can't think of any downside. It's all I can ask from a company, there's no other place I'd rather work for.

"Amazing speed, amazing people, amazing job"

Current Employee - User Operations Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - User Operations Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

The best reason to work at FB is definitely the people who work there. I've made so many friends and everybody are friendly to each other. Also they are actually intelligent people. I mean, even the cook was a student! :-)
    BTW cook, the food is for free and I love it.
    Free food and drinks (even Red Bull and ice cream on summer).
    Nice parties on top of the roof. OMG. The bbq was awesome.

Cons

Paper plates and plastic spoons etc. I dislike!
    Salary is ok. I should have asked for more. Oh well.

Advice to Management

Cancel all meetings. :-)

"Best place to work? Depends on who you ask."

Current Employee - User Operations
    Current Employee - User Operations

Pros

Free food, laundry, flexible work schedules, commuter shuttles, gym membership discounts, and the opportunity to work with smart & motivated people on a massively popular product are good reasons to work here.

Cons

If you work in User Operations at any level other than Associate or Lead, prepare to be bored, frustrated, and stifled in career development. The jobs in this department mostly involve repetitive task work such as content moderation and responding to user emails, but you will get slightly more interesting tasks from time to time such as working directly with an engineer. You will not be given much respect or appreciation for your work, nor will you be promoted unless you schmooze with the right crowd and embody the essential 'Facebooker'. The bureaucracy problem has gotten much better over time, but it certainly still exists. Everyone is smart, so the competition for a few leadership positions is tough, and you'll be denied promotions for fairly abstract reasons. The target is always moving. It's also quite difficult to transfer to a different department - UO isn't given much benefit of the doubt. It's unfortunate that this department has developed the way it has, because there is a large, untapped pool of brilliant people who could really make great contributions to the product.

Advice to Management

Facebook is probably the best place in the world to work if you're a software engineer, but don't forget the people at the bottom who thanklessly support the entire user-base.

"It's okay in the short-term"

Current Employee - User Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - User Operations Analyst

Pros

Although hours a bit long and it takes much time for me to commute from home to office, other things that Facebook offers all make me love this place - salary, bonus, not to mention the excellent benefits. It is also both satisfying and challenging to work with very smart colleagues. The people are young, passionate, and intelligent. The culture is very open internally were projects are discussed and ideas flow. They have amazing R+D and projects happening all the time, because people dare to dream, pursue challenges, and are generally incentivized to be innovative

Cons

Facebook is not a hot start-up that it used to be. When you look at the blogs, people now get excited about twitter. There is not anymore the pioneering spirit and enthusiasm that you see in a startup. In short, Facebook is getting old

Advice to Management

None.

Showing 18 of 2,338 reviews