Facebook Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

1,578 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,578 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 172 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 46 reviews)

"BiZ Apps Team in Facebook"

Pros

Its an amazing company to work. Though the team is not.
    People will be given option to choose the team after they are hired.
    The Company shuttles are extremely helpful in working even while we commute.(No Fun)
    The IT Support is extremely quick and very helpful.
    The Food and rest are very yummy. Every day You might have to think what cuisine should I choose today. What ever you choose, It will just be there on campus.

Cons

I was into BizApps team at Facebook. Facebook is an amazing company to work but the team is not.

All the above was only to an extent and the critical part which had really kept me under pressure was

There were three people who were asked to develop three Modules. later they asked me to integrate the other Modules into mine. What others developed is just an initial version and UI, Javascript wasn`t following any standard. Later when I was integrating I had to rework everything from level 0. project manager, Manager, Team Lead, UI Expert were all supervising my work. When ever they pass by my desk, they would ask me to make few changes may it be to the Layouts, data to be displayed etc. the worst part is that their opinions do not match at all.
    for instance .. Project Manager would stop by my desk and asks me to change the layout and I obey and customize the layout to include that change. Later team lead would stop by and says "This is disgusting Layout. better change it. when I change it taking his suggestions. Manager would stop by and says its the worst that he has ever seen in his life and asks me to include his recommendations. Later UI expert comes and commands me not to follow instructions of any others and to just follow his recommendations as he is the UI expert. When I do that Others (Project Manager, Manager etc) hate the changes and I was evaluated low in performance.

In the due course I was evaluated low in performance and I was blamed for missing the dead line.

I did try to convey my situation to people but no action was taken.

"Don't speak up. Sit quietly and don't rock the boat. Be happy"

Pros

Looks good on resume. Free food

Cons

The customer is a commodity. Complain or try and expose the scams advertisers are engaging in and you are removed.

Advice to Management

Customer service is not to be dispensed with a computer algorithm. Real people exist. It matters

3. "My review applies only to Internet org. Rest of FB employees seem quite content. But Internet org ones are miserable."

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Usual FB perks - Free food, some babysitting cash, fitness center.

Cons

Internet org is an altogether different beast from rest of Facebook, with it's own toxic sub-culture. All those nice perks of working, I never remember enjoying any. All those terrific speaker/events at FB, I never got to go to any. Internet consistently polls 20% on work-life balance(lowest in all of FB). Employees at internet org are tremendously overworked in all the time zones possible. And the head of internet org famously repeats every time the issue comes up - 'Well, no one was promised a 9 to 5 job'. Internet org is famous for making feel-good videos in developing countries and the pitch is used a lot in recruiting but the sole purpose of internet org is to add FB users. It even sits under Growth organization officially. Politics and backstabbing is rampant in the organization to the extent that people even refer to it in the meetings.

5. "This will probably get buried in positive reviews..."

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free Food
    - Shuttles
    - Fitness Center
    - Stocks

Cons

- No work/life balance
    - Toxic, back stabbing work culture
    - Secret peer reviews
    - Internet org consistently polls 20% on work-life balance(lowest in all of FB). Employees at internet org are tremendously overworked in all the time zones possible. And the head internet org famously repeats every time the issue comes up - 'Well, no one was promised a 9 to 5 job'. Internet org is famous for making feel-good videos in developing countries and the pitch is used a lot in recruiting but the sole purpose of internet org is to add FB users. But employees are never given this information before they join.

Advice to Management

Don't use internet org purely for your PR agenda

"Do "lean in"...as long as it isn't at Facebook."

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

People think you work for a great company.

Cons

not as open culture as people might think, very hierarcial, no support from management or HR if you disagree. You have to suck up to the right people and play a "game" if you want to succeed and get support for your career development at Facebook.

Advice to Management

Be very careful when you hire middle managers. Listen to your employees.

"Not a place if your ever down, or suffer with mental health. You gotta be 100% positive or they'll get rid of you or simply say, you're not ready for the next level."

Current Employee - User Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - User Operations Analyst

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, travel and laptop... People are nice but people managers have to be rootless.

Cons

People managers don't care if your suffering with being down, if this is effecting your performance Facebook isn't the place for you. They'll push you out and won't care to listen to you.

Advice to Management

Be more HUMAN

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the level of support you expected. Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback. We care deeply about our people and go above and beyond to provide ... More

"Work and life "integration" means NO life."

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Pros

Renowned company name, a good stepping stone to next career.

Cons

Full of hypocrites, hyper unfriendly to female workers because you have to respond to your boss 24 hours a day. NO KIDDING, those effective communication tools simply make you a salve by hi-tech, and you are supposed to take care of your work every single minute even you are a mother with a 18-month baby.

Advice to Management

Cease the inhumane ways to treat your employees! Gimmick and great PR won't cover the evilness for too long.

9. "Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Free thinkers, great perks, smart people

Cons

None none none none none

"Global Relations"

Former Employee - Global Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Global Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Young, dynamic organisation that scales globally very well
    Some amazing people
    Good packages, good bonus
    Good recruitment process, fast and efficient

Cons

Very intimidating environment. Feedback is only negative, never positive
    Older facebook people are very cliquey and not very welcoming to the noobies.
    American culture seeps through every market and there is no understanding the world is actually global and not American. Local employment laws are not observed. Little diversity
    Poor leadership who focus on their personal book launch rather than run the company.
    Poor training. Expectations that performance is expected from day one, without time to bed in.
    The product evolves purely for commercial reasons and not the user experience

Advice to Management

Change the culture of the company.
    Treat employees as adults.
    Understand every person is different and there is room for all to thrive -extroverts and introverts
    Not what you expect from Facebook who's ethos is to connect the world! That doesn't mean make it American.
    Focus on creating a good experience for the consumer and not the Ad Model and making money.

Aug 17, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Our mission and global culture are extremely important to us. We strive to be a supportive, collaborative place where people can make a meaningful impact. We'll share your feedback with local office ... More

"sexist idiots"

Former Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great young vibrant team
    Decent money but Dublin so expensive

Cons

High pressure
    Sexist managers with such a disregard for females

Dec 15, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

This is not the environment we promote and strongly encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner to discuss any experiences which are out of alignment with our culture and core values ... More

Showing 1,578 of 1,905 reviews