Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,942 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 211 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 57 reviews)

"BiZ Apps Team in Facebook"

Pros

Its an amazing company to work. Though the team is not.
    People will be given option to choose the team after they are hired.
    The Company shuttles are extremely helpful in working even while we commute.(No Fun)
    The IT Support is extremely quick and very helpful.
    The Food and rest are very yummy. Every day You might have to think what cuisine should I choose today. What ever you choose, It will just be there on campus.

Cons

I was into BizApps team at Facebook. Facebook is an amazing company to work but the team is not.

All the above was only to an extent and the critical part which had really kept me under pressure was

There were three people who were asked to develop three Modules. later they asked me to integrate the other Modules into mine. What others developed is just an initial version and UI, Javascript wasn`t following any standard. Later when I was integrating I had to rework everything from level 0. project manager, Manager, Team Lead, UI Expert were all supervising my work. When ever they pass by my desk, they would ask me to make few changes may it be to the Layouts, data to be displayed etc. the worst part is that their opinions do not match at all.
    for instance .. Project Manager would stop by my desk and asks me to change the layout and I obey and customize the layout to include that change. Later team lead would stop by and says "This is disgusting Layout. better change it. when I change it taking his suggestions. Manager would stop by and says its the worst that he has ever seen in his life and asks me to include his recommendations. Later UI expert comes and commands me not to follow instructions of any others and to just follow his recommendations as he is the UI expert. When I do that Others (Project Manager, Manager etc) hate the changes and I was evaluated low in performance.

In the due course I was evaluated low in performance and I was blamed for missing the dead line.

I did try to convey my situation to people but no action was taken.

"Don't speak up. Sit quietly and don't rock the boat. Be happy"

Pros

Looks good on resume. Free food

Cons

The customer is a commodity. Complain or try and expose the scams advertisers are engaging in and you are removed.

Advice to Management

Customer service is not to be dispensed with a computer algorithm. Real people exist. It matters

"very unfair personnel at company"

Pros

nothing that I see from this company

Cons

it's very interesting to see a company self-declared to be open do now really want to share the performance report. One area you have not done well you should not talk to people too much because that shows you did not really know the stuff you are doing.

"Nonsense company"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks and other facilities like food is awesome, transport and other perks.

Cons

Egoistic managers, management never pays any heed to employee concern. Politics is too much.

Advice to Management

Give some respect to users bcoz the project I was on there was no respect for users as they never gets response ...after all they make Facebook what it is today and not the other way around. Currently I work for Google and they attitude is the opposite as they pay importance to each user complaint.

"Hypocrisy and slave-driving"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

salary and benefits are great

Cons

Facebook fosters toxic culture, not any way better than Amazon does. It is a little bit more sneaky in this practices though, and it does a lot of brainwashing and twisting to convince employees of this not happening.

Instead of explicitly cutting lowest 10-18% of the lowest performers, it is done indirectly, via enforcing "target distribution" of final ratings at performance cycles (PSCs). PSCs happen twice per year, and it is a quagmire, everybody dreads it.

All employees complain at a constant sense of uncertainty and ready to quit at any moment.

A lot of hypocrisy here. Pretty much all motivational posters should be negated to reflect reality.

Management is terrible. Facebook prides that "engineers are given a lot of freedom". In reality, this is an excuse to have clueless, dysfunctional and oppressive management. They do not tell you what to do, but it is up to you to fish it out. Otherwise you will not "meet your expectations".

I do not like people who work here. They are all of low morale and terrible schmoozers. Schmoozing is the only way to get "meets" rating at the Performance Review Cycle. So, everybody is aggressively schmoozing. Engineering is secondary.

Especially watch out for managers who are Microsoft expats. For some reason these managers are terrible here, and their branches are rotten.

The whole company is full of hypocrisy. Vacations? Not if you want to meet your expectations on a next review cycle. Parental leave? Better not take it - you won't meet expectations. Facebook enforces a rule that 10-18% of employees are guaranteed not to meet performance expectations (that is, they are aimed to be fired). This fosters bad culture. Imagine yourself competing with young single schmoozing nerds who can work 24/7 - are you up for a challenge? This means zero work-life balance.

Engineers are expected to also perform management duties: promote what they do, influence other orgs etc. Question: why do we need managers then?

Apart from engineering and management, individual contributors are required to do all other "extracurricular" activities like hiring and doing interviews, which is also reflected on the PSC ratings.

Facebook doesn't allow junior engineering levels: either promote to principal levels (e5) or get fired.

Facebook boasts great "culture". But they aggressively hire management from the outside. I don't see anything particular of this "culture" - it's the same as Microsofts, Googles and others.

Facebook is functioning in a mode of chewing people, burning them out and spitting them. No appreciation for developers - they are treated as subordinates of management.

Advice to Management

Very few are good ones. Most of them are rotten.

"Money can't buy me love"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

You'll make a ton of money. The salary, stock, bonus, and perks are generous. If you only care about your resume and your bank account, this is the place for you. It's easy for anyone to be tempted by the zeros in an offer from Facebook, especially if you're young and you think life is all about money.

Cons

You might make a lot of money at Facebook, but it will come at a cost. Your health, your relationships, and your self-esteem will suffer. You'll wake up five years later, with a lot of money, but you'll hardly recognize the person in the mirror. The culture is unhealthy and it will change you for the worse.

Advice to Management

Showing kindness to employees is important.

Facebook Response

Sep 25, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

I'm disheartened to hear this. We have many avenues for support especially if you are going through a tough time such as EAP services, internal support groups, Life@ team, and your HR Business... More

"Recruiting's Rejects"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Benefits are second to none. They give you a lot but they also expect a lot from you as well.

- The company is innovating and revenue growth is phenomenal. Which means the equity value grows significantly YoY.

- Comp is good here. Facebook generally overpays a lot of recruiters compared to Google, Amazon, and Microsoft. This could be attributed to desperation because of how difficult it's been to hire recruiters.

Cons

- The bar has significantly dropped in recruiting. Because of the hyper growth Facebook is going through they've been forced to hire inexperienced recruiters and also rejects who weren't able to hack it in other top tech companies & start-ups. It used to mean a lot to be a full time recruiter at Facebook. Now it feels like they're giving an offer to anyone with a pulse. Inexperienced recruiters or bad ones can attribute to poor candidate experience and headaches for other recruiters.

- Performance Reviews many times aren't a true reflection of individual performance. It's a problem that many companies have and Facebook is one of them.

- The company has become so corporate. It's like you're just another number and the impact you're making is insignificant.

- Work Life Balance is terrible. In order to be successful here you'll need to work well over 50 hours per week.

Advice to Management

- Don't play favorites so much. Reward based on merit not who you like the most.

- Stop hiring so many bad recruiters!!!

"Do "lean in"...as long as it isn't at Facebook."

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

People think you work for a great company.

Cons

not as open culture as people might think, very hierarcial, no support from management or HR if you disagree. You have to suck up to the right people and play a "game" if you want to succeed and get support for your career development at Facebook.

Advice to Management

Be very careful when you hire middle managers. Listen to your employees.

"Not a place if your ever down, or suffer with mental health. You gotta be 100% positive or they'll get rid of you or simply say, you're not ready for the next level."

Current Employee - User Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - User Operations Analyst

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, travel and laptop... People are nice but people managers have to be rootless.

Cons

People managers don't care if your suffering with being down, if this is effecting your performance Facebook isn't the place for you. They'll push you out and won't care to listen to you.

Advice to Management

Be more HUMAN

Facebook Response

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the level of support you expected. Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback. We care deeply about our people and go above and beyond to provide... More

"Work and life "integration" means NO life."

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Pros

Renowned company name, a good stepping stone to next career.

Cons

Full of hypocrites, hyper unfriendly to female workers because you have to respond to your boss 24 hours a day. NO KIDDING, those effective communication tools simply make you a salve by hi-tech, and you are supposed to take care of your work every single minute even you are a mother with a 18-month baby.

Advice to Management

Cease the inhumane ways to treat your employees! Gimmick and great PR won't cover the evilness for too long.

Showing 1,942 of 2,406 reviews