Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Facebook Reviews

Updated September 22, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 202 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 52 reviews)

"What a remarkable place and such remarkable people!"

Current Contractor - Information Developer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Information Developer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm an older worker, but so far I seem to fit in with the millennials, who I think are great. Smart, thoughtful, respectful, intense, a bit quirky --what's not to love? Everyone is motivated, hard working and wants to win. But somehow they keep their cool, are open and friendly, and welcome newcomers.

Cons

Not much structure for a company this large. Many people use "brute force" techniques to do their jobs, which does not scale. Someone is going to have to bring some structure, and it will be painful. If the company hits a financial road bump, it will be very difficult for some to adapt because they are accustomed to success. But that's a good problem to have.

Advice to Management

You have done an amazing job so far! But growing from here will require new ideas. Keep open to them, even the ones that sound like heresy. Stay true to who you are.

"Great Place to Work but"

Former Employee - Business Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Business Operations in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- At it's best working at Facebook is fast paced, fun and extremely impactful. I've been given opportunities to work with many great colleagues who care deeply about the work that you're doing and will challenge and encourage you to do better.
    - Support staff at Facebook is amazing whether it be the people who greet you in the morning, facilities, IT, the security guards, chefs, or the the people who work at the gym. Everyone is super friendly and has your best interest at heart. It's like going to work at a 5 Star Hotel every single day :)
    - Feedback is taken very seriously and typically acted upon. For example a couple of years ago Facebook didn't offer 4 months paternity leave for employees outside of the US and after receiving feedback from international employees this was policy was expanded globally
    - Perks are amazing, free food, gym (or membership for offices without gyms), laundry, great healthcare.

Cons

- Mid-level managers are a hit or miss. I've had 4 different managers in 3 years at Facebook and my experience at work has greatly been dependent on how competent they are. My best manager pushed me and opened doors and was a true advocate for me within the company, whereas my worst manager who was also a first time manager made me feel as if I was working on an island. If you're joining Facebook in a non-tech role you should definitely try your best to get a feel for your future manager.
    - As the company has hired over 10K+ people over the past 3 years roles and responsibilities are definitely becoming more specialized and opportunities to drive tangible impact are becoming increasingly difficult for people in junior roles
    - Pay and benefits for people working in international offices are not comparable to working at HQ. For example IVF is offered in the US but not non-US offices.

Advice to Management

As Facebook grows and continues to invest in hiring, finding people with prior management experience will be key to retaining and developing talent.

Facebook Response

Jun 28, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

We appreciate your honest feedback. We'll continue our investment in hiring experienced people managers and developing our existing manager population. We know how important a Manager is to your day... More

3. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for massive impact on the world, talented colleagues, resources, perks

Cons

Work life balance and pressure to perform is quite high

Advice to Management

Invest in long-term

4. "Lots of opportunity to grow"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Salary is great, benefits are great, management works with you well

Cons

Very long hours for deadlines

Advice to Management

Plan further ahead

5. "5 Years @ Facebook"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Benefits
    Flexible Work Schedule
    Intelligent & Motivated Coworkers

Cons

As Facebook gets larger there is more middle management and more political bs

6. "Great Place"

Former Contractor - Sourcing Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Sourcing Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great approach. Fast paced and engaging. True to core values.

Cons

Cliques dominate the work environment

7. "The best job"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Facebook as an intern

Pros

This is the best job in the world. I wish everyone could come and work here and help to keep making this company the best. I don't plan to ever leave.

Cons

There are no cons about working here. Maybe there is too much work at times or management could be more flexible with deadlines.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation package if you join the company at the right time (when stock price is low.) Otherwise it won't be too attractive unless you are E5.

Lots of things to learn in the company, good benefit.

If you can get a management role, you will be in haven. Most of the managers their life is very very easy, they only need to care about their team don't get downsize in the political wrestling.

Cons

Manager's turn over rate is too high. I got 8 different manager in three year. Some area got lots of politics, watch who is the head of that department.

Instagram, Messenger has pretty bad culture at this moment.

Literally no life when you want to get good perf review ratings.

Advice to Management

Fire those manager who doesn't have good pulse review. Don't keep bring lots of manager from outside especially from those company which culture is bad. They bring the bad culture into the company as well. (e.g. Yahoo at this stage)

"Awesome Benefits, Young Energy"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor

Pros

Benefits on campus are great--including free meals, video games, soda and candy everywhere. Also, a super open-minded and progressive environment

Cons

My particular team happened to be led by a disorganized and excessively nervous individual. But he doesn't make-up my entire experience. It's a great company.

10. "Work"

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Free food, generous morale budget, young culture

Cons

Chaotic, oncall, narrow product line

Showing 431 of 2,258 reviews