Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor

Facebook Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 183 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 49 reviews)

"I love working here, I really do."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

The whole company cares and believes in our culture and values. Everyone is smart and passionate. An open community from Zuck on down. Mutual trust companywide and sense of community and drive, instilled by our CEO who we all truly respect.

Cons

Odd requests from people and weird questions about working at fb.

"Move Fast"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

-fast moving culture
    -not much bureaucracy
    -great benefits and perks
    -working on an exciting, consumer facing, product
    -lots of impact

Cons

-fast moving culture can be hard to keep up with at times
    -need thick skin when it comes to what you're coding because you'll get a lot of employee feedback. people are generally perfectionists.

"An opportunity like no other."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Never in my life will I be able to work for a company that has the global impact that Facebook has. Everyday I'm building things that is and will bring the world together. Facebook pushes me to keep expanding the boundaries of what can be done and makes me incredibly proud of the things I've accomplished.

Cons

Facebook is a way of life, and once you drink the kool-aid it's hard to remember there is an actual world out there. My advice is get a hobby (you're compensated enough to pretty much choose anything) and make sure you spend some time off of Facebook and work emails.

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Great place to work for.

Cons

It's a big company, so although teams are very lightweight and agile, it can never have the same level of impact as a startup would. However, the leverage you get by the user/employee ratio more than makes up for this.

6. "Awesome place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

smartest people I've ever worked with

Cons

not enough time in the day to do all we need to do!

7. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

The company truly believes in self-motivation, empowerment, promote initiative and creativity. Red tape is reduced to a minimum, perks are great, quality of coworkers and management.

Cons

Your coworkers are all smart, competent and hard working, so if you like being able to shine easily, this is a challenging place to do that :-).

Advice to Management

Continue to stand by your belief, and ignore the feedback and pressure of people (and shareholders) who don't understand what you're trying to do.

"A unique culture, a unique opportunity, and a unique time..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Facebook is the most unique company I have worked for or experienced (and due to the nature of my role, I have been exposed to a lot of different companies in my last two jobs). The company's open culture is mirrored in its facilities (everyone gets a desk, no offices, no cubes), and reinforced all the way up to Mark. It is staffed by some of the smartest people in the world who are industry leaders in whatever it is they do whether it is software engineering, design, public policy, even more traditional functions like HR and Finance! Facebook redefines what it means to be a corporation with its unique move fast and break things culture, its culture of discipline, and its innovative and iterative approach. What I have learned in my two years at Facebook has been far more impactful to my career than all of what I learned in my first 15 years and as such, I still tell everyone that it is an honor for me to have the opportunity just to walk in the door.

Cons

Despite the upsides, it is not all roses at Facebook. It is extremely difficult to get hired at the company given the companies intense focus on culture and values (which is not always accurate). It is also an intense environment, and not for people who are looking to coast. This can be difficult for people with a lot of obligations outside of work. Finally, it is a growing company and with growth comes growing pains. things don't stay the same and people who come to Facebook need to expect that things will evolve while they are here. The best people will see that as a challenge and a leadership opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for excellence in who you hire and what you are building. But be clear on what you define as excellence and make sure it is framed in terms of where you are going, and not just where you've been.

9. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Facebook has a completely transparent and intellectually honest culture, which is incredibly important. The company also cares about making the world a better place, and takes to heart our version of Disney's famous "We don't make movies to make movies, we make movies to make money." We really believe that.

The work environment is incredibly fast paced, there is an absolute minimum of red tape and politics, and everyone is empowered to have immediate and massive impact. Feedback is offered quickly, honestly and constructively.

Cons

Expectations are incredibly high, which means that you have to work very hard. Number of hours by themselves are not how you're evaluated, but the amount of work necessary to do a good job is not insignificant. This is not a place where you can screw around and just get by.

"Love going to work everyday!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Completely different culture than anywhere else in the world. They encourage people to try new things and go for it!

Cons

I wish the headquarters were by the beach.

"Best Place I've EVER Worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

The people are amazing!
    The amenities are amazing!
    The food is even more amazing!
    Transparency in the company is the best I've seen!

Cons

Too much food everywhere you go!
    A lot of distractions - makes it hard to get through the day and stay on task!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.
    Keep communicating with staff
    Keep the culture alive as we grow
    Keep employees engaged with their jobs and help them grow!