Facebook Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

1,573 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,573 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 170 reviews)

• I suppose one could be that most teams work long hours (in 45 reviews)

1. "Facebook is the best engineering organization I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

A bureaucracy-free environment that allows you to simply get work done
    Strong management with strong technical background all the way to the top
    Very metric-driven engineering team
    The ability to prioritize tasks based on what you think is important
    A remarkably well defined review process that encourages personal development in different areas
    Company policy to leave unnecessary meetings early or skip them entirely

Cons

Some politics and cliques
    Some user-facing projects have too many product managers
    Some late nights when supporting new code pushes
    Fighting fires can become a full time job

Advice to Management

Don't stop being open and transparent
    Daytime hackathons to encourage more participation for engineers with family commitment
    Improve recruiting's ability to filter candidates so engineering interviews have lower reject rate

2. "ok place"

Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

food, dry cleaning and free concerts

Cons

can be a bit demanding

Advice to Management

communicate more to employess

"wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

-management is approachable and open with information
    -perks are outstanding (health, pto, food, company events, laundry services, etc)
    -employees are among the brightest in the industry
    -exciting work environment

Cons

-inconsistency in quality reviews
    -rapid employee growth means less personal peer-to-peer relationships

Advice to Management

keep up the great work and the forward thinking

"Haven't seen anywhere better"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

- Fast-paced environment
    - Easy to have a huge impact given our user base, analytics, and small number of engineers
    - Good compensation (especially with equity)
    - Very merit-based - if you're not pulling your weight, you'll be asked to leave. This means you only work with the best and brightest.
    - Lots of independence. People won't just be handing you spec and telling you to implement it.

Cons

- Very merit-based - if you're not pulling your weight, you'll be asked to leave. This it not actually a con at all if you're good.
    - With independence comes responsibility. If your stuff breaks, you fix it. But this leads to a culture of building awesome things - not really a con.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope. But do keep in mind the effects of external forces (both positive and negative) on employees and the ability to do groundbreaking things in the future.

"I was just an intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Young culture
    Fast paced
    Exciting after hours

Cons

Sociopathic leadership
    Youth run amok with poor oversite

Advice to Management

None really.

"People are actually smart. It's a special place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Facebook is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you get to work on big things, there are cool new opportunities all over the place, and there's lots of cache...but what really matters is that this is a place full of smart, engaged, and driven people. You don't have conversations at Facebook where you walk away saying "he just didn't get it." This makes every day so much better it's hard to even begin to explain.

Cons

Management is great at a lot of things...but not necessarily at manageing the business. Random stuff just happens that sometimes doesn't make sense across all aspects of the business. Often, initiatives just happen over night, without properly involving all the relevant stakeholders. Sometimes the business side of the company seems to be operating in completely different world from the engineering side.

Advice to Management

Work harder at integrating business and engineering.

8. "I love working at Facebook!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I love the culture, freedom, people, environment, benefits, and flexibility.

Cons

There really isn't much I would change about work here except for a better work/life balance.

Advice to Management

The leadership team here at Facebook has done a great job communicating changes and our company vision.

"Lots to dive into!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I really like the pace that we're working at -- there's so much going on, and there's a lot of inherent trust in people to run with what they're doing. Policies and red tape in previous companies sometimes left me feeling a bit stifled about what I was able to work on & share, but there really is a sense of openness at Facebook, not only in communication, but in the ability to jump into projects that call out to you as well.

And beyond that, the people really are incredible: smart, fun, unique, and passionate about what they're doing. It's hard not to get excited by the people alone!

Cons

The pace *can* be a little crazy -- one of our values is moving fast, and we definitely do that -- and generally that's a huge pro to working here, but at times, it can be a little much. There are definitely good policies around PTO, and the environment *is* understanding about balancing work & personal life, but that's ultimately up to the individual to carry out, which can be difficult to do in practice.

Advice to Management

I would encourage the leadership to make themselves visible, both at all-hands events, but also in the sense of cross-pollination. It's invaluable, for example, to hear about product strategy from the head of Engineering at an HR team meeting; or to have the head of Finance share what he's focusing on with the Sales team -- efforts like that really don't take much time at all and are a highly impactful way to get communication and knowledge flowing across the company.

"We're given the freedom to take risks and dream bigger than we've ever dreamt before!"

Current Employee - Associate, Recruiting Programs
    Current Employee - Associate, Recruiting Programs

Pros

This company has an incredible culture, the people are amazing, the problems we solve always challenge us and we have the special opportunity to be a part of something GREAT!

Cons

We move very fast here and at times things break which makes it hard to stay efficient. It's necessary to be in the mindset of an ever changing company. But it can be frustrating when it affects your performance.

Advice to Management

I like the way we move fast and challenge ourselves but I'd like a more stable product for our users so we don't get messages from our friends about the bugs in our product.

"Once in a lifetime opportunity I would not pass up"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Rare to have the chance to work for a company that captures the imagination of the world such as Facebook.

Cons

Well, you can't be afraid of hard work and a challenge and to be pushed out of your comfort zone

Advice to Management

Don't make the same hiring mistakes as Google.

Showing 1,573 of 1,899 reviews