Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 205 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook Response

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

3. "Incredible company"

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No place like it. Move fast and break things. Every day feels like a week. What would you do if you weren't afraid. These are things written on the walls. Most satisfying job I've ever had

Cons

None I can think of at this time

Advice to Management

Be even bolder

4. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

reasonable work life balance, free meals, free gym membership

Cons

Monoculture. Most employees are young fresh out of college grads. A lot of people move on to different tech companies within 2 -3 years. I'm not sure why there's so much turnover when compensation and perks are good.

5. "Best place to work for on Earth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. High impact projects. Highly talented co-workers. Great perks. Challenging problems that touch billions of lives. Great for getting mentorship.

Cons

There are so many smart people here and you should be willing to self improve yourself constantly. Otherwise, you'll be burned out really fast. You should also be comfortable with taking constructive feedbacks even though they may be delivered to you in a rather aggressive manner.

6. "Great place"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

Difficult to have good time management

7. "Even better than you think"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

I had read all the hype and articles (and all of these reviews) and I went into the internship with _very_ high expectations. The internship experience _far_ exceeded these on every single level.

Some of the things I particularly enjoyed:
    - Amazing people to work with
    - (seemingly) No limit to the resources available to you
    - Benefits/perks/intern events--almost too many...
    - Truly meaningful and exciting work
    - Lots of nice (and varied) areas to work other than at your desk
    - Willing to take risks: the project I was put on was very much an open question at the time
    - Lots of autonomy and ability to self-direct
    - Basically, you name it and they're probably already taking care of it for you (outside of your personal life). I was still discovering new benefits and perks even as I left.

Cons

Some of my friends had managers that they thought were a bit inexperienced. This coupled with the type of person interning (always been the smart one, always one of the better students etc. etc.) lead to self-imposed stress about whether or not they were "making the grade" and work-life imbalance during the internship.

8. "Impact like nowhere else"

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to build a product that billions of people use around the world
    - Great perks (health benefits, food, environment, transport, bonuses)
    - Great culture focused on connecting the world.
    - Good tools

Cons

Using Facebook (the app) will never be the same

9. "Believe the hype, this is by far the best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not even sure where to start. It goes without saying that this company takes GREAT care of its employees, and then some. The work is challenging and super intense, but the positive and collaborative cultre, along with all of the perks/benefits offered, make the intensity much easier to deal with as opposed to any other company I've worked for.

I've been at FB for a bit over four months, but I knew during my interviews (btw these were the hardest interviews I've ever had) that this was the place to be. From application to job offer, it took 6 weeks. When I got the offer, it was so strong that there as no need to negotiate. When I got the job and relocated from NY to CA, the relocation package was was so good I didn't have to raise a finger or spend a dime. Already knew at that point that this company knows how to retain talent.

This place truly rewards merit, courage, and being outspoken. Management is aware enough (at least in my space) to place me in a role that plays to my strengths, and I've enjoyed th freedom to make my role what I want to be. They are very outspoken when you're performing well and are honest about things that need improvement. If you have a good idea that is supported by data and aligns well with the goals of your team or whatever your target population may be, you will find resources or people to join you in your efforts. From hackathons to day-to-day work, this culture permeates every area of the company.

One thing that strikes me the most is how strong the diverse community (however small) is within this company. There are a lot of resources put towards ERG/FBRG efforts, and as a diverse employee, this means A LOT to me.

I know the norm is to move around the industry every five years or so, but I don't see myself leaving this company for a long time. In just four months, I feel deeply rooted here, and I intend be here for a while. If you're reading this, there should be no question about applying, interviewing, or accepting an offer. You'll be happy that you made the decision.

Cons

This may be limited to my team or my area of the company, but I believe there is an underlying "me, me, me" culture at FB. There is a constant need to make your work visible so that others know what you're doing and so that whoever has a similar idea doesn't take the shine before you do.

Separately, everyone wants to do knock-out work, and at times are secretive about the things that they're working on so that they can have that "holy crap" moment when they finally finish and reveal the results of their work. This can result in wasted resources and time since multiple people/small groups coule be working on the same thing without knowing it. Not sure what the solution is, but this at times takes away from collaborative work. I identify it as a con, but I've quickly found myself doing the same thing, and that's just because it's an underlying, unspoken culture at the company.

Advice to Management

More work needs to be done re: PSCs. There has recently been a statement made about how PSC should not only focus on short term work but also reward long-term work. I would like to see that implemented and encouraged at a granular level. Managers should be trained to encourage long-term projects and reward employees when ambitious checkpoints are hit.

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazingly progressive in so many aspects. Being bold and taking risks while thinking outside of the box are truly appreciated. Feedback is openly given and requested at all levels and incorporated into changes (where warranted) quickly.

Cons

The pace is fast and furious. Onboarding process re: tools available and how to access could be beefed up a bit, but would need to be on a department level to be of significant value.

Showing 878 of 2,338 reviews