Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated July 11, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to manage (in 190 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 50 reviews)

"Facilities Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Benefits, I love the CEO and COO, there is amazing job stability, there is opportunity to attend conferences and learn, the company provides a fun atmosphere for their employees, the work is interesting, the people are interesting

Cons

I am stuck at this level, men are provided with more opportunities, strategy is an opportunity for lazy people to hide behind and do nothing.

Advice to Management

Make changes that do not cripple people from advancing. When advancing people, make a thorough evaluation of their peers and look at qualifying skills. To move a less qualified, less experienced person in position over a woman only shows sexism and support for the males position as the bread winner for the family. The female gets completely discounted and humiliated, this does not promote retention.

"Obvious pros, but cons are real"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

Top compensation and benefits, working with people who are the best at what they do and push you to do your best work, company trusts their employees, lots of visibility from senior management.

Cons

Reviews cause an unhealthy amount of anxiety among employees, sink or swim environment. Managers are expected to be in this role because they like people management and there is no additional comp for this role nor does the amount of time spent managing or mentoring get reflected in reviews. This creates a situation where there is little incentive to be a great manager and many of them are more focused on their own career growth. Work/life balance on many teams is terrible. There's a lot of lip service about it, but it continues to be a huge problem.

Advice to Management

Reward managers for helping develop employees. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and managers should not only be asked to care about their people, they should get "credit" during the review cycle for it, so, that it incentivizes them to better support employees.

Jul 13, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

We appreciate your feedback, and will share your suggestions with our internal teams to help improve overall employee success and experience.

"I learned I didn't want to be a software engineer"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

Great perks, very flexible work environment

Cons

8-10 hours of programming a day for three months was just not for me. Might be for you though. GREAT place to be if it's for you

"For Contingent Workers: It is just okay"

Former Contractor - Help Desk Technician in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Help Desk Technician in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Microkitchens, food available, use of most of the services on campus

Cons

You get treated like a second class, they segregate you via the colored box in your profile indicating FTE, Contractor, or Intern. The culture is also confused. They need to get one message and stick to it.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same and also review the way you run some of your departments. Having Contingent Workers running vital parts of your business is sloppy and leaves much to be desired. IT is the backbone of a company. Don't trust others to do something you should be doing yourself.

"Ship ship ship ship"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Doing well financially, awesome people. Good benefits. Corporate culture is transparent. Mark is awesome.

Cons

Ship ship ship ship ship. Open office. Growing super fast. Crowded.

Advice to Management

Broken things suck. Moving a little slower and not breaking things would work for some people.

"Facebook is the worst job, except for all the others"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is probably the best big company to work for. The company cares a lot about having its employees being productive and satisfied with their jobs and it works hard at maintaining an environment to support that. As a survivor from the real world, this is really rare -- pretty much every company-wide system is designed to make life easier for employees. The benefits and conveniences offered are amazing.

Many decisions about the company and its goals are made fairly transparently and open discussion about most things is encouraged. This can get really annoying at times.

Unlike most companies, Zuck is actually a pretty inspiring leader. He makes mistakes, but does learn from them. He has really lofty goals, though, and doing the right thing is highly subjective when trying to change the world.

If you are politically savvy and willing to work hard and make sure others notice that hard work, you will go far. You will learn a lot if you seek out opportunities to learn, and work with a lot of very talented people. You have to own this yourself, though; don't count on a lot of support.

Cons

Facebook still believes that it is a magical meritocracy reasonably free from corporate nonsense. While there aren't any Office Space-style TPS reports to fill out and you don't have to bring in your own coffee and toilet paper, it is now just a big company job like any other. If you want something, whether it be a promotion or a good dessert from the cafeteria, you have to plan how to get it, execute on the plan, and then make sure everyone else knows what you did and how great it was. You also have to share just enough detail to be convincing but not so much that people can poke holes in your story or usurp your dessert acquisition techniques.

The typical first level line manager at Facebook doesn't have prior management experience, only knows the Facebook way of doing things, and is overwhelmed with all the pressure being placed on them. It's a really hard job, too; your manager will be responsible both for setting the direction of your team and for making sure you and your colleagues grow at the company. Most people are not good at either of those things, let alone both. Be aware of what your manager is looking for and how to best communicate it.

Everything FB does is subject to a lot of public scrutiny, and you will know how the sausage is made and see that the goals of the company aren't focused on invading privacy or global domination like everyone else thinks. It's hard to see this thing that takes up so much of your life lionized and loathed by the press and your friends.

For engineers, a lot of the tools you will use day-to-day are incomplete, broken, poorly documented, and might not be supported anymore. You will get used to this. "Move fast and break things" is more complicated than it sounds, and that's really hard to adapt to when coming from a more traditional company. Have big goals but chop them up into small tasks with well-defined success indicators and communicate them early and often.

Advice to Management

To the director- and VP-level people that have been at FB a long time: it's not the same company you went to work at lo those many years ago. There are between 5 and 50 times more employees now, way more products, and way more moving parts. If you want Facebook to stay Facebook-y, invest in the culture that you love. Teach people how to be successful and reward individuals that focus on impact that makes everyone's work easier and the product better, not on whatever new hotness made a contrived graph go in the right direction. Lots of things aren't working right anymore and it is up to you to start the hard conversations about which sacred cows can't provide enough milk for tens of thousands of employees because you never taught the new people how to talk about that stuff.

Dec 15, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your feedback. We care deeply about our employees, which is why we strive to create an open and transparent workplace. And we need to do this as a team that's constantly evolving and... More

"Great compensation if you can cut it"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Lots of different technologies to work on, lots of opportunities for visibility and impact. Good place to learn and explore mobile, full stack and backend infrastructure. Fun place to work when things are going well.

Cons

High stress, lot of turnover. I've had a new manager every year. Some teams have a 24/7 work expectation. Highly competitive, and you are competing with lots of smart people. Seems very difficult to get a promotion and junior people who don't rise fast enough are pushed out. For senior engineers, one bad project or not enough impact and it can be very difficult to course-correct.

Advice to Management

Fix the fake news problem. Recognize that incremental improvements and investment in software infrastructure pay long term dividends and reward that. Not everything is easy to quantify in terms of impact and a lot of work on quality goes unrewarded.

Dec 15, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for your feedback. Incremental improvements and sustainable investments in quality are important. We see this in our weekly Q&A meetings when Mark recognizes people during the... More

"Nice Benefits but Not True to Healthy Work/Life Balance They Promote"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

The amenities are nice for full-time employees, but it feels like a smoke-screen almost. I feel like we're being blinded into happiness with all these things being thrown at us to take advantage of. I'm starting to see through them and realize what they are truly for...to make you think you are happy and have the best job, and work for the best company ever, when you really don't...they got us by the balls here...

Cons

Laptop and phone each employee is given is not a perk, but a leash...you are always expected to be on them even when you are not at work trying to enjoy the life you are actually working for. Because they have issued you these items, there are no excuses.

Dec 15, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

In our 'move fast' and 'focus on impact' culture, we know it can be a challenge to find the right level of work/life integration. Please speak candidly with your Manager and HR Business Partner in... More

"AVOID Publisher Solutions, otherwise fabulous place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Mission-driven company with a decently open-and-transparent culture (except when you have feedback they don't want to hear--see below). The perks are phenomenal. For most teams, there is a clear path to personal success (again, see below for important caveat).

Cons

The Publisher Solutions org has been in flux for over two years. I no longer have any confidence that the leadership knows what they are doing. Rather than helping their people identify and align on impactful projects, they are turned inwards, patting themselves on the back from the top down and only caring about posturing in their own careers. It's politics in the worst way, and can go unchecked at a company as large as Facebook. They systemically suppress the talents of people who do not buy into the secret club. It has not been my experience that this toxic culture exists outside of that org.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees--find out why some of your smartest people aren't having intended impact. Listen to your employees when they ask for help, and look into whether it indicates a broader, systemic issue.

"Not that great"

Former Contractor - Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks live up to the hype.

Cons

Contractors treated like second class citizens

Showing 41 of 2,124 reviews