Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 178 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to ... More

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook Response

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to move between teams. Openness​ in discussing all ongoing projects.

Cons

Work life balance might not be great.

5. "Solid Engineering culture"

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid infrastructure and a great focus in 'getting things done'

Cons

It's easy to lose track of the 'outside of FB' tech space

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people
    Great perks
    Employer cares about employees

Cons

Too many people trying to solve the same problems

7. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Move fast, exciting project. Bottom up culture that make things interesting and possible

Cons

Hard to achieve work life balance

8. "great place to work at"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- lots of career opportunities
    - great perks
    - great culture

Cons

- expanding too quickly so might have scaling problems

9. "Innovative and positive environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some of the smartest people; Lots of opportunities; Great benefits;

Cons

Excellence bar is very high; employees work really hard to succeed.

"I found my people"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really feel as though I've found my people.

I've had this dissonance in past roles: ever since academia years ago, I've been out of the "research" phase and into the "engineer at a X company" stage, where "X" is occasionally a software product but more often a service or commercial product. The culture was not one of making the right things, but making the profitable thing now. Driven by sales people, there was a lot of grandstanding, peacocking, both in the culture and in the message.

Facebook has my people, my culture. We do things in the way that scales and makes engineering sense. Sure, perfect is the enemy of good enough, but if a temporary shortcut remediates a problem or a need, it's quickly iterated to improve, all the while immersed in a tech culture: Pusheen, Archer, Dr Who, Starwars, memes, the micro-actions that continually reinforce a culture-fit or a culture-miss.

I'm in the culture fit. Sure, I get a very competitive salary, plus my tech chops improve (when C++ gurus review your work, your C++ quality improves), and the food, and the perks, but above all, this is the place I feel I most fit.

I'm in my mid-40s. I "get schooled" my mid-20s. ...and it's awesome.

Cons

Pace is a killer. The work is complex, as are the discussions about it, I have little fuel in my head to code after work. Big personal desire to keep up to the more efficient engineers. I don't want to pass-a-fault, but want to move-fast, get all the things done. It's exhausting!

Advice to Management

Open a highschool.

We have hired so many of the good people, the recruiting funnel is sparse. We need to grow our engineers. Open a high school to get right-of-first-refusal :)

"Lots of perks that just make employees happy and worry free"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Commute shuttle
    Nice campus
    Flat structure
    Management really cares about employees
    Decent health care plan compared to other companies but not the best

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge
    Getting promoted can be hard
    Office is getting really crowded
    Traffic is really bad to work

Showing 591 of 2,012 reviews