Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 217 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them...

- Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real.
    - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else.
    - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere.
    - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance.
    - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible.

Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done; no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so.

Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook Response

Mar 31, 2016 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We believe our mission-driven community is special, and bringing together people with different backgrounds to work on challenging problems makes us better.

"Best Large Tech Company Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the start, Facebook has been amazing.

Bootcamp was a great experience; not too many companies let a new grad spend 6-8 weeks searching for a good team fit. They let you pick a team, which essentially means you get to pick your tech stack (Backend; Front-end; Mobile; Infrastructure), the org you work for (Messenger, Facebook, Oculus, Instagram, etc.). More importantly, you get to pick your manager + team mates, where as in other large companies, it's the other way around; you are assigned to a product & org & manager whether you like it or not. This is way different compared to Google's opaque 'host matching' process and Microsoft where they just randomly place you in a division like Azure or Office.

The company values really shine through every day. Before Facebook I thought the concept of company values was kind of corny and B.S. Now that I'm at FB I can at least say that here the company values are actually values held by top management + majority of the workforce and not just marketing / HR speak.

Everyday I really feel like we are moving fast and shipping a lot of product very quickly. We A/B test lots of features, analyze the data, and swiftly decide what to ship to the public. I never feel stuck; I always feel like I'm either implementing an A/B test or analyzing data so we can ship more features. There are not long product cycles with lots of prognostication from product leadership; we build, measure, then learn. Thats it.

I feel everyday that we have an open culture. At Facebook, we use Workplace, a tool thats kind of like Facebook but for corporations, made by you guessed it... Facebook. Within Workplace, just like normal FB, there are a ton of groups. I'm in a bunch of groups and basically get visibility on decision making + product updates + news from every part of our org. I feel like I'm in the loop and just learn so much about FB / product by reading my Workplace newsfeed. For example, today I read a research report about internet users in India, learned some stuff about dynamic ads, and saw one of the senior leaders announce a new partnership deal. All of that info isn't directly relevant to my day-to-day job, but because its all there and open to anyone, I learn so much and have so much clarity into FB's product vision & company objectives. Mark or Shreyl do Q & A's every Friday. Between hearing top leadership speak, and reading updates from every part of the company on Workplace, I feel that FB is a very open and transparent place to work.

There are many other pros and cultural values that I like but let me get to a major pro to end this review. Food!
    Here's just a sample from today! I ate these 3 meals today at the company cafe 2 mins walk away from my desk.

Breakfast:
    Soft Boiled Egg + Been + Cheese + Salsa Tostada. Organic Blueberries & Blackberries. Hemp & Pumpkin seeds.

Lunch:
    Vegetarian Pho with Sous Vide Eggs, Tofu, Steamed Cabbage, Green Onions, Cilantro, & Bean Sprouts in it. Added Sriracha and Chili Oil to spicen it up.
    Thai Iced Tea Bobba (Bubble) Tea.

Dinner (today was Jamaican themed):
    Sweet Potato & Corn Casserole, Collared Greens, Fried Plantains, & Quinoa.
    I also got a slice of cheese pizza :)

Dessert: Mango Cheesecake made with Graham Cracker Crust.

By the way, the menu rotates, and at the HQ, there are a ton of cafes to choose from so way more options for food are there.

Cons

Work life balance is tough. Can have some busy weeks due to the "move fast" culture. Plus you have a lot of ownership which brings with it some stress.

The offices are crowded due to how fast we are growing. They are building a few new huge buildings but until those finish things are quite cramped, and the work place can get loud.

Also not enough space in the gyms because of the general overcrowding on campus.

Advice to Management

As we grow bigger, invest in making sure execution pace is still fast and we don't get bogged down in bureaucracy like other tech giants. Put extra effort to make sure our current culture stays the way it is even as things scale.

4. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to deliver strongly customer oriented service to market. huge number of talented and creative colleges to build an innovative solution

Cons

need to take an initiative activity and mindset to drive other people and motivate subordinate staffs. self starter highly needed

Advice to Management

Nothing

5. "Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

6. "Impact-Oriented Company"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to drive impact from day one. Incredibly lean teams, great management exposure, people bring their authentic selves. Fantastic wellness benefits, amazing restaurants on campus, great shuttle service throughout the Bay.

Cons

Limited conference/meeting rooms, number of reorgs/changes to business operations, large number of visitors/guests on campus

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture, more specific on-boarding training per department, expand office presence in downtown SF

7. "Challenging, interesting, and delicious free food"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every day involves solving difficult problems with a bunch of very bright people. We're rewarded well for this, and everyone treats each other with mutual respect.

Cons

People do work harder than at some other tech companies. Commuting in the Bay isn't overly fun.

Advice to Management

Strive to keep autonomy as the company grows rapidly. Trust and independence are key to the company remaining successful.

"Internship"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best internships out there. Had a great summer internship with them for two years in a row now. Interned at HQ and the Seattle office and all the offices have their own little perks. Interns get all the same perks as full-time and more including housing and intern events.

Cons

Work-life balance is a bit tricky as they make it convincing to stay at on campus with all the free food.

"Content Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, driven employees empowered to be impactful and efficient.

Cons

Facebook mission clear, execution direction from Leadership down is a miss. Too vacuumed and work on 6-month review beats, so a lot of man/woman for themselves.

Advice to Management

Better follow through of Facebook mission -> strategy to get there -> how and follow-through of delivery.

"Community Operations"

Former Employee - Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on great projects. Continuous innovation and learning. Transparency. Strong leadership. Good culture.

Cons

You need to be careful about work-life balance.

Showing 671 of 2,447 reviews