Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 205 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to... More

"Amazing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

The openness, inclusion and excitement that we all feel every day. This is truly a company where the people are without a doubt organized more around the mission than their own personal interests or potential gain. We are here because we want to change the way the world works, and the fact that we get paid to do it is amazing.

Cons

It's not a "job" - in many ways it is a life. Long hours are the norm. Hard to completely consider this a con, though, as many of those long hours are spent working on stuff you love with people you admire and befriend.

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Amazing people - hard to overstate this.

You get to choose what you want to work on (Bing "Facebook bootcamp") for more info.

Everyone is really passionate about the product. People care about the folks that use Facebook, and really want to make it a better experience. There are so many cool things we want to do, it'd be hard to get bored.

Things move really fast - there usually has to be a good reason not to do some new cool thing, instead of a reason to do it.

Cons

Since so many people at Facebook are amazing, recognition/awards aren't as frequent as I'd personally like.

I've done stuff that would've earned me instant promotions at a previous company, and only got a "cool, nice job" at Facebook.

It's hard to hear people spread misinformation about Facebook while you're working there - I've gotten so passionate about the company that when people say misguided things like "Facebook sells your information to advertisers", it's hard not to get angry.

"Although working more than 40 hours/week is a given, I wouldn't want to dedicate my time and effort to a better company."

Current Employee - Recruiting Lead in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Lead in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Facebook gives their employees the freedom to work on projects that make an impact. When you're able to work on things that affect millions and millions of people, it doesn't feel like a job, more like a purpose.

Cons

It's tough for people who aren't willing to put in the extra effort needed to succeed in a company like Facebook. Part of the culture is to work hard and ship things. If you're not good at executing on a project, it will be tough to fit in.

Advice to Management

More transparency is always better. Employees like to know why decisions are made for us to better understand the direction of our company.

5. "hard to top"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

-exciting problems, especially for an ops job
    -streamline the boring stuff
    -management is communicative and responsive, expectations are aggressive but not insane
    -if you enjoy this field, it's a fun and satisfying experience

Cons

-can be tough to schedule vacation
    -parking
    -open office plan can be distracting
    -you WILL gain weight at first
    -steep learning curve

Advice to Management

Keep this a tight ship, don't let employee sprawl and more management layers turn this into a big company. Make sure the rank and file continue to feel appreciated and supported.

"It's amazing place where everything moves extremely fast."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

- awesome food
    - really smart engineers
    - laundry service
    - reasonable promotion ladder
    - really flexible time at work
    - bootcamp! (after 6 weeks of working with different people you can choose your own manager)

Cons

- small parking lot
    - salary could be higher
    - Facebook is located in California, so we're going to pay really high taxes for our RSUs

7. "A place to work on great things and make an immediate impact."

Current Employee - Recruiting Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Operations in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

You have the freedom to work on awesome projects. My co-workers are some of the smartest people out there. The team I'm working on is a group of all-stars, making each other always look good.

Cons

In order to change the world like we want to do, it requires dedication and hard work. So at times we have to work long days. But in the end, it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you do best. Lead this company into a successful business. As long as our employees feel their work is valued, we'll continue to be build.

8. "An amazing place that provides unparalleled opportunities for growth and impact"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Surrounded by smart people with incredible experience. My peers are founders and inventors and role models. Given every opportunity to succeed including resources and people. Management that focuses on employee happiness and personal development.

Cons

It can be stressful at times. Nobody likes taking down the biggest website on the planet and nobody wants to be the one to let their team down when everyone is doing such an awesome job.

9. "Amazing place for the truly entrepreneurial."

Current Employee - Staffing in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Very open and colaborative. Lots of opportunity to try new things and make impact. Even very senior people seem to be more than happy to help nearly anyone understand a situation and give their opinions. I am surprised everyday by the feedback that flows here.

Cons

The lack of process an structure can be problematic for some. Really grasping how much autonomy exists is a hard thing to do until you are there. This is only a problem for some, but it's critical.

"The most intense and rewarding experience of my career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Access to people who are smart in ways that you can't even comprehend.
    Incredibly challenging work, and opportunities to finally do things you've wanted to do elsewhere but couldn't because of the size or political currents of other companies.
    You really care passionately about making the world more open and connected and want to be surrounded by people who are dedicated fully to making that happen.
    You want to work with people who not only help you experience all of the above but who are also the most respectful and inclusive people you've ever met. When we say we want you to be yourself completely at work - we really mean it.

Cons

The pace and scale of what we're doing is insane. You're regularly exhausted but in a good way. Facebook isn't just a company, it's a kind of movement that people dedicate themselves to in ways that transcend the traditional bounds of employment. You will make life-long friends who will become a part of your life beyond 9-5.

Advice to Management

Continue rewarding things that move us forward, continue calling BS on things that don't. Encourage every employee to be a career-owner and empower managers to help them realize their potential

Showing 871 of 2,323 reviews