Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to manage (in 187 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 50 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible benefits
    - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance
    - Lots of autonomy
    - Tons of room for growth
    - Very transparent from the top down
    - Strong leadership
    - Intelligent and caring colleagues
    - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere
    - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it.
    - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thank you for the feedback. From the Life@ benefits and conveniences to the many employee affinity and advice groups, we are all here to support you. If you need additional help, please reach out to ... More

"Not all it's cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a world leading company
    Excellent pay

Cons

Grueling hours
    Rude management
    Angry colleagues who are disillusioned with the company

Advice to Management

You need to work this out otherwise more stories like this are going to leak out and then there will be trouble

"Extremely cliquey, political, poor culture, lacking in communication and career growth."

Former Employee - Finance in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing food, great campus and latest technology.

Cons

Management lacking in leadership and communication. Blamed is passed down to front line employee's. Very poor work life balance. Half the department left due to politics.

"slow career and bad management"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office environment is good in general, also having a big name on your resume may be good for the future.
    Most of the colleagues are very prepared technically.

Cons

As company grows they are trying to cut costs, objectives are unrealistically set, bonuses and promotions are considerably lower.
    If you work here on visa, pay increases and promotions are slowed down even more.
    Mid management gets packed with responsibilities, the individual contribution is no longer relevant, the general philosophy seems to be "it's normal for people to leave the company" and that happens regularly after every performance cycle or stock vesting time.
    To counterbalance this, company seems to brainwash employees with slogans, posters are everywhere around the office to make "the culture", many company employees believe and talk with slogans.
    Life/work balance is simply set to "no life".
    I've seen managers complain if someone takes more than one week off in a row, or making jokes about family duties the first day someone returns from parental leave.

Advice to Management

managers promoted from engineering are not always able to deal with people.

"Do not join the recruiting team, the rest of company is pretty good."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are tons of perks but after 3yrs it doesn't matter if you are not happy with the team, job or the way you are treated.

Cons

I have many but I'll keep this short. I'd say the biggest problem is the recruiting managment and also the lack of growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Wow, so much to say here. Again to keep it short and sweet, I'd say stop treating people like they are work horses and move away from the belief that the more you beat them down the more you think you'll get out them.

On a side note, this is only for the recruiting team. The rest of Facebook's teams actually seemed pretty great with the exception of a few.

"A Management Nightmare"

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Lots of perks (if that's what moves you). Interesting story to tell your friends.

Cons

If you're a manager, this place will drive you nuts. Employees are snarky, entitled, and disrespectful brats. They have no concept of critical thinking or any desire to do real work.

Unlimited sick days in the hands of overpaid children is impossible to manage, my team would somehow always manage to catch a "cold" on Fridays and Mondays. (Interesting that they would Tweet and post about their weekend party binges though.)

While Facebook does a great job recruiting Ivy League talent, I was underwhelmed by the level of intelligence of "Facebookers." They are so busy congratulating themselves on being "awesome" that they never stop to consider they didn't have any real world work experience to back that assertion up. It's really hard to manage and lead people who "know it all."

Kitchy inspirational posters everywhere you look. "Be Bold!" "Dare Greatly!" Yet, I didn't see any substantive work or product coming out of anyone, which makes sense since Facebook really is just a glorified website - users are the product.

Communication is an absolute nightmare. You are forced to "friend" everyone you work with and join an incessant amount of internal group pages where you had to filter through all the BS people would post (memes, YouTube videos, snarky hipster comments…clearly these people didn't have enough work to do) to get to any relevant work related information you needed to know for your job. I actually thought I was going to get dumber working there.

Meetings - the sheer volume was mind bending. None of them critical to doing actual work, more self congratulating on unearned awesomeness. Being social at Facebook was far more important than doing anything meaningful while you were there.

Anyone serious about doing meaningful work need not apply. You'll make it a few months and then quit out of frustration.

Advice to Management

Grow up!!! You're not in Zuck's dorm room anymore.

"blood factory with high pressure and intensive workload"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

good benefit, and packages.. You can learn some good stuff.

Cons

In many teams, the manager is the czar who is powerful to control everything, of course including the performance review. Be careful, don't annoy the manager, otherwise, you will be very painful no matter how good your performance is.

Advice to Management

Please scrutinize the behavior of the managers in some teams.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Good Benefits, Beautiful Campus, Good Food. The company really does a good job of providing every resource you need to do your job.

Cons

If you want to devote 50+ hrs a week to helping your Aunt Ginny post photos of her cat all so that Frito Lay can sell more Cheetos; then it's where you need to be. Nothing more than a sophisticated digital billboard slinging crap we don't need. Working at Facebook is like shoving a handful of Jolly Ranchers in your mouth while drinking orange soda; sickeningly sweet and eventually regrettable.

Advice to Management

Invest in leader development programs. Facebook is a prime example of Putt's Law in action.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No Pros for the people join in after ipo.

Cons

No work life balance, culture is so bad. It almost squeezed you all your time and give you a great pressure.

Advice to Management

Need to change the culture to be more friendly to the engineer.

"Not a Diverse Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employment brand and perks

Cons

Was attracted to FB because of its Diversity message but it was a sad illusion. I'm HIspanic and women and since I joined the company they put me this HIspanic tag. Don't feel included by my peers and even by my manager, who is a global leader. Internally the company believes they include the people but never dare to deeply talk about the non inclusive culture we have here (Maning Bias training and tribes are only the top of this iceberg). Some Latinos friend already left the company and I might be the next.

Advice to Management

Be honest to yourselfs and face the true, we are not ready to bring diverse to the company.

Showing 812 of 2,094 reviews