Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated December 9, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 217 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 58 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer Intern at MPK in 2015"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

Many benefits for interns:
    - corporate housing
    - visa sponsorship
    - high payroll
    - unlimited food, drinks ect
    - special events for interns (NBA, Halloween event etc)
    - interns work on actual products (they are able to break things)
    - work iphone/android + macbook/pc even for interns
    - many more I forgot to mention

Cons

- at the time they had hundreds of interns yearly, not every one get to work on interesting stuff, an intern may be assigned to heavy duty team which doesn't have time to babysit them (although there were only several cases I know of)

"Life as a Contractor"

Current Contractor - Community Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Community Operations in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food all around campus.
    Shuttle services from home to work and vice versa
    You get to explore the hq everyday!

Cons

Transparent as they say to be, as Contractors, we are treated as second class citizens.
    Not invited to majority of Facebooks major events.
    No benefits.
    We are not told in advance of major changes as to where we will be reassigned in terms of office location. As we are only told in two weeks advance. This limits us to prior preparation in our life situations as this affects us greatly.
    Not being heard of for suggestions and no events for contractors as you collaborate only with each other.
    They will squeeze your skills and talents and toss you away afterwards.
    Contract to hire is a very rare case. 1 in 100 chance. Its like winning the lottery.

Advice to Management

Listen to your contractors. They play a vital role and very dedicated in their work.
    Inform the team as soon as possible in regards to major changes. They deserve to know.

"great benefits, youth culture"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

outstanding benefits, good people overall

Cons

One thing I noticed was the first person to 'post' an idea ultimately gets credit for the idea, even if they didn't originate it. Makes it hard to discuss ideas or work collaboratively without fear that your ideas will get stolen. I guess it's part of moving fast and breaking things. Also, propaganda posters decorate all the buildings. They're there for inspiration but it felt more like cultish brainwashing. My opinions could be because I was older than about 92% or the population at Menlo Park which skews toward college grads and under 30s. For a veteran of the industry, some of the soft and sentimental "stories" sometimes ring false. Some people simply want to go to work and do a job without having to make it a life changing experience.

Advice to Management

It's great to have a place with free food and couches and old timey arcade games but actual recognition for work performed would be cool too.

4. "Good"

Current Employee - Technical Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very good place to work at so nice

Cons

not that i can think of realy so not.

Advice to Management

none.

5. "Smart, passionate colleagues"

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- extremely smart people
    - remarkably transparent company across orgs and teams

Cons

- emphasis on Menlo Park office, remote and international workers are at a disadvantage

6. "Facebook"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel empowered to work on what I care about and generally enabled.

Cons

Sometimes the problem set can be a bit narrow because of the target platform.

7. "Facebook"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, Flexibility in Position, Modern Environment.

Cons

Sporadic Empathy (out-argued by a first-pass data analysis), Lack of Consistent Training.

8. "A corporation for entrepreneurs"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Facebook for 7 months now as a Product Manager after 3 years as an entrepreneur and a freelance product and growth consultant. I've noticed the following:

1) The company embodies "move fast". If you can prove you can create a vision and build momentum for a product and a team, you will be given the reins to move as fast as you can at FB. I've taken a project from 0 to 1 to launch in 4 countries in 4 months.

2) The company embodies "be bold". There are no "small swings" around here. There might be a lot of incremental work, optimization and tweaking on all fronts but when the company realizes progress needs to be done in an area, it's no holds barred. The big bet I'm currently leading has lead to 2 teams merging and org structures adapting to enable that shift.

3) The company embodies "be open" - There is a transparency to the decision making, be it at team level or at management and leadership level I've never encountered before. It's refreshing to be able to ask any question I want to Mark every Friday during the Q&A for instance.

Cons

One thing has underwhelmed me and that is that management isn't as available as I wish it would be. For instance, I would have loved the opportunity to meet and learn from higher-ups and more experienced people more often but am unable to find time on their calendars (Still trying though).

9. "Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Wellness reimbursement, lots of opportunities, interesting work, generous relocation policies, good compensation

Cons

I think the greatest con is that HQ is in Menlo Park - living in the surrounding areas is so so expensive and pretty boring if you are young and single or used to city life. Otherwise, you can move to SF which means you end up with a crazy commute.

"Believe the hype, this is by far the best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not even sure where to start. It goes without saying that this company takes GREAT care of its employees, and then some. The work is challenging and super intense, but the positive and collaborative cultre, along with all of the perks/benefits offered, make the intensity much easier to deal with as opposed to any other company I've worked for.

I've been at FB for a bit over four months, but I knew during my interviews (btw these were the hardest interviews I've ever had) that this was the place to be. From application to job offer, it took 6 weeks. When I got the offer, it was so strong that there as no need to negotiate. When I got the job and relocated from NY to CA, the relocation package was was so good I didn't have to raise a finger or spend a dime. Already knew at that point that this company knows how to retain talent.

This place truly rewards merit, courage, and being outspoken. Management is aware enough (at least in my space) to place me in a role that plays to my strengths, and I've enjoyed th freedom to make my role what I want to be. They are very outspoken when you're performing well and are honest about things that need improvement. If you have a good idea that is supported by data and aligns well with the goals of your team or whatever your target population may be, you will find resources or people to join you in your efforts. From hackathons to day-to-day work, this culture permeates every area of the company.

One thing that strikes me the most is how strong the diverse community (however small) is within this company. There are a lot of resources put towards ERG/FBRG efforts, and as a diverse employee, this means A LOT to me.

I know the norm is to move around the industry every five years or so, but I don't see myself leaving this company for a long time. In just four months, I feel deeply rooted here, and I intend be here for a while. If you're reading this, there should be no question about applying, interviewing, or accepting an offer. You'll be happy that you made the decision.

Cons

This may be limited to my team or my area of the company, but I believe there is an underlying "me, me, me" culture at FB. There is a constant need to make your work visible so that others know what you're doing and so that whoever has a similar idea doesn't take the shine before you do.

Separately, everyone wants to do knock-out work, and at times are secretive about the things that they're working on so that they can have that "holy crap" moment when they finally finish and reveal the results of their work. This can result in wasted resources and time since multiple people/small groups coule be working on the same thing without knowing it. Not sure what the solution is, but this at times takes away from collaborative work. I identify it as a con, but I've quickly found myself doing the same thing, and that's just because it's an underlying, unspoken culture at the company.

Advice to Management

More work needs to be done re: PSCs. There has recently been a statement made about how PSC should not only focus on short term work but also reward long-term work. I would like to see that implemented and encouraged at a granular level. Managers should be trained to encourage long-term projects and reward employees when ambitious checkpoints are hit.

Showing 904 of 2,447 reviews