Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Facebook San Francisco Reviews

Updated March 26, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 174 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 47 reviews)

1. "One of the best jobs you could want"

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The amount of pros here is ridiculous. You have really nice, smart people as co-workers. The work is insanely interesting and challenging. Lots of room for growth. Free food, insane perks, fantastic pays, etc.

Cons

Working with smart people is a pro and a con. It's easy to stress out about not being the smarted person there. You'll often feel you have to work extra hard to keep up, but thats something you overcome when you realize you wouldn't be there if you aren't qualified.

The area described above often affects work/life balance... because people feel this way they tend to work a lot so then you feel like you do too. After a while you find a good balance, but its easy to fall into the trap of constantly being involved in work.

2. "Culture"

Current Employee - Global Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Global Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It matters: Facebook puts a premium of its people and the culture. It means people will treat you with respect and listen to your thoughts.

Cons

Culture comes first. While we are all encouraged to be our authentic self, if your authentic self is an butt hole, don't bother applying. Sometimes we put feeling ahead of actions as we work through the culture piece. Overall, it is a great way to operate.

3. "Incredible experience, and good money"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good Pay
    - The food
    - Lots of intern
    - They treat you as a full time employer

Cons

- Too much food for one man

5. "Best place for a software engineer to work."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open, flat, engineer-driven company that values free software.

Cons

High standards - not the place to work if you want to just tread water.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

6. "Coming from a nonprofit - My Dream Company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are mission and value oriented. They really stick true to their organizational framework and live by their values in day-by-day decisions. When you're here you can tell why they're doing so well. They are transparent with everything - including weekly Q&A where employees can ask the CEO questions in an open floor format. The HR is goes far and beyond expectations over and over again. No doubt we are treated well in terms of compensation too. This package comes with the most important perk - it attracts other brilliant open minded individuals who want to make our society better.

Cons

The only con I can see is that we are growing very, very fast and that can cause some growing pains. For example, I have seen a few situations where there wasn't alignment between the interview and the actual work that needed to be done. However, the HR is flexible and willing to work with you so this shouldn't take away points from them for being amazing in every other way.

Advice to Management

If there is a management transition there should be extra care gathering feedback from all employees during the process to ensure a smoother transition.

7. "Product Specialist"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company and team culture, lots of learning opportunities outside of role

Cons

Anything I view as a con can be addressed by discussing with my team or providing feedback.

8. "Mission Driven Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission driven around making the world more open and connected, company looks after it's employees, focus on impact, built for the long haul

Cons

15K+ employees across 30+ locations means it's no longer a start-up

9. "Relatively New Engineer Perspective"

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So many smart people that are super humble and easy to interact with. Facebook keeps titles and ranks hidden so company feels very flat. Perks are incredible they really care about their employees.

Cons

Company has grown a lot feels maybe less tight knit than in old days.

10. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer E5 in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer E5 in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility, freedom, focus on impact, access to the greatest minds in the field. Lots of perks, benefits, it's almost hard to take advantage of all of them since they are so many. Like is just great when working here.

Cons

Too much free food? Not really. I don't know, maybe just that it's not a start up anymore, so you won't have the chance to become a multimillionaire quickly.

11. "Best of all the places I've worked"

Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. High level of independence and reliance on individuals doing what they see as the best use of their talents for the company (with guidance from managers and others if needed). Each team is a little different in how they operate, but because you can pick your team after you join (and have gone through bootcamp and met many of them), you can find the fit that matches you. And if you find you need a change at some point, then you just find the next team/project (or come up with your own) that again satisfies you and helps the company as much as possible.

The perks are awesome. Free food, snacks. Lots of variety, high quality. Great benefits - I'm a big fan of the onsite medical/dental options. It's a company that cares about its employees and you can feel it imo.

Open culture. Smart people. And a growing business make it the best in tech right now.

Cons

Problems that basically persist for most tech companies in the Bay Area like commute sux. Hard to get a good commute, and if you do, then you're probably paying a steep price for it. Shuttles help a lot if you're coming from SF or surrounding cities, but still suck overall.

Generally, prices for housing suck anywhere you live in the Bay Area. If you're already here, then you already know that. If not, then be prepared - it sux.

Diversity is still a problem. Facebook is trying to fix this, and it comes up all the time about what more can be done which is good, but at the end of the day, it's still a problem.

Showing 768 of 1,955 reviews