Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be an issue (in 211 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 57 reviews)

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work hours, generally passionate and smart people

Cons

Encountered lots of nasty things. Toxic environment, racism, favoritism, etc. Overall not nearly as bad as Uber, but once you are a certain size and you've been there long enough you'll encounter these things.

Talked to a bunch of people before I left and management issues (incompetency) were very widespread, as fb favors internal promotions over outside hires.

Facebook Response

Oct 10, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

We're sorry to hear you experienced this. Our culture is of the utmost importance to our mission and growth. We remain dedicated to investing in our people and creating an inclusive environment... More

2. "facebook?"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

best salary ever considering the amount of work done

Cons

super busy but rewarding to all

3. "Great Internships"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work, great food(open), great salary and benefits, for me one of the greatest companies in the world

Cons

you become very specialized in one thing, it´s hard to have a good notion of the big picture

4. "Great Time"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

Worked on page insights team

Cons

I really liked being at Facebook.

5. "Great company for fulltime employees, contractors not so great."

Current Contractor - Technical Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, access to data, beautiful Thunderbolt monitors!

Cons

The hours would be okay except they have an office in Singapore which limits when meetings can be held. So, if meeting is with a Singapore team, Friday's are out because it's the weekend, and the only options are 5 pm or later. So I end up have meetings until 8pm. It's really wears on me.

I think Facebook treats its contractors like 2nd class citizens. Even though we sign all the NDAs, and have access to all kinds of information, we're still not allowed to attend All Hands even when that information is important to doing out jobs.

We're also not allowed to:
    - use the gym
    - work from home (official policy but not enforced. Also stupid because most the company works from home on Wed but contractors are still expected to be in the office.
    - no swag for contractors! The whole dept could be given a hoody but not contractors. Even when there are extras they go in the closet rather than give one to a contractor. This is more insulting than anything else because it's such an obvious "You're not one of us."

And the kicker... when I started I was told 6 mo and then it converts to a full time role. When I got hear I was told, no you need to contract for a year and then we'll see about helping you find a full time role (so this one won't convert?). Last week I talked to someone who just converted to full time. I asked her how long it took and she said 1 yr, 8 mo. That's a long time to go without insurance, a 401k, PTO, holiday and sick pay.

Advice to Management

If you want contractors to feel included why not just include them? Some of these things are weirdly arbitrary and just seem to be meant to draw a distinction but have no other purpose. What you're doing makes us feel like guests instead of part of the company. It's just not cool. Please stop it.

6. "Facebook values my contributions, and my work-life balance/happiness"

Current Employee - Integrity Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Integrity Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work with smart people that actually care about the world
    - Regular Q&A's with amazing leadership (Mark Zuckerberg & Sheryl Sandberg, etc.)
    - SO many resources to excel in your job (tools, people, classes, etc.)
    - Open culture (I'm very open with my manager and my team) and feedback is always encouraged
    - Lots of programs to stay healthy (gym, Health Center, Dentist, Nutritionists, etc.)

Cons

- Commute from SF to Menlo Park is far, but the shuttles are really nice and comfortable
    - Teams can be spread out across different offices, which means potential trips to those offices, but also means team culture may vary across offices

7. "Best company to intern at"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Work culture encourages openness and collaboration
    Employees understand that interns need additional support and offer their assistance for all your projects.
    Free food!
    Leadership makes themselves available to you, even as an intern!

Cons

Very high expectations from all engineers, even interns
    Can be a stressful project for your summer/winter/spring internship

8. "Software intern"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice food, good benefits, nice environment, and people here are very free. Good salary.

Cons

The company can create better work life balance by holding more parties, games, and events.

Advice to Management

I am not a manager so it's hard for me to give advice. But I think people should have more free time here. Everyone works very hard.

9. "The greatest."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ever since I joined straight out of college, I've experienced nothing short of greatness at Facebook. The employees are extremely bright. The career opportunities are right in front of me. The CEO truly cares about the world outside of his company.

I'm indebted to Facebook for giving a wide-eyed college grad the opportunity to make an impact in the world around me.

Cons

Since I'm straight out of college and have only been at the company around a year, I don't feel any problems with the work/life balance. Maybe down the line when I have a wife and kids, but Facebook is pretty cognizant that maintaining W/L balance is a really big thing in the valley.

Advice to Management

Keep at it!

"Director Corporate Communications"

Former Employee - Director of Communications in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Communications in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging, fast-paced, and lots to learn. Great benefits, though some of them seem a bit unnecessary and wasteful (I don't need another free t-shirt every time we move buildings).

Cons

The performance review process is very political with no set guidelines for evaluation. If you get along well with your boss and people generally like you, you'll do great. That said, it is very easy for a manager or a co-worker to tank you anonymously and with little evidence.

Advice to Management

Way too many internal reorganizations - about every six months or so. Very unsettling and difficult to succeed when you have a new manager once a year.

Showing 893 of 2,406 reviews