Facebook Seattle Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

4.4

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Facebook and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

great

May 5, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

very good benefits and perks

Cons

high stress and deadlines oftten

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Open, fast, no bs

Mar 17, 2014 - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc. This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously. It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output. One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security. They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts. The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices. Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible. You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc. FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc. Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations. The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first. FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere. FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Continue reading
    442 people found this review helpful

Facebook Response

Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your great feedback. We really appreciate the transparency from Mark, Sheryl, and the entire leadership team. This open culture does permeate throughout the company, and we are focused on maintaining it as we grow. Even as we have grown, our commitment to our values (be bold, move fast, be open, etc.) has helped us stay true to our culture, and we plan to maintain that commitment as we grow. --Your friends at Facebook

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Incredibly Generous, Somewhat Disorganized

Apr 24, 2021 - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coming from the retail organization at Amazon (another non-tech org at a FAANG company), I have to say that Facebook is absolutely phenomenal when it comes to the compensation and benefits it provides its employees. I’ve extensively utilized their Lyra benefit for mental health services, a huge factor in helping me get over my chronic depression. If you had told me when I graduated college that I would be in the 90th percentile of income earners in the US before the age of 30 as a data analyst in a corporate operations organization, I would have had a hard time believing you. Performance targets are fairly easy to hit and work life balance is incredibly reasonable (I work the full 40 hours a week and there’s hardly ever a need for more). Yes, the lack of free meals in during the pandemic has been a bummer but Mark has more than made up for it in my opinion by adding $2k in “stimulus” pay to employees last year, waiving a performance review cycle, reimbursing home internet costs, and providing 5 additional, free company-wide holidays to date.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited within the Global Operations org. I’ve been at the company 3 years and gotten meets all ratings every half besides the most recent half when I exceeded expectations for the first time. I still have not leveled up from an IC3 to an IC4. Especially within ops, leadership seems intent on hiring senior folks who lack relevant experience (but have many years experience and/or education) rather than promote folks internally. This results in leadership that isn’t well informed about the daily work of their reports or about Facebook’s internal metrics or processes.

Continue reading
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

SWE at FB

Apr 26, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers and career growth.

Cons

Competitive review cycles that lead to burnout.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent company

Apr 22, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

great benefits great insurance great work environment

Cons

depends on team. maybe stressful

6. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Perfect Place To Learn

Mar 17, 2021 - Product Designer in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good internal tools to communicate and social within the company. Opportunity to learn from world class professionals. Respectful and great world culture. A lot of peaks and swags.

Cons

Onboarding process has a lot of hiccups, especially for Contingent Workers (the recruiter said Facebook just changed the HR system atm). I was hired at the end of November 2020, joined the orientation the 1st week of December 2020 but have to wait until January 2021 for my equipments to arrive to start working officially.

7. 5.0

Everything’s great at FRL

Apr 10, 2021 - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting work, great pay and benefits, work life balance is encouraged

Cons

None so far nom nom

8. 5.0

Good place to work

Apr 11, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Impact, learning, compensation, growth opportunities

Cons

WLB, work location, some bad management

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Employer

Apr 7, 2021 - Product Experience Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management cares about employees happiness

Cons

Review cycle biases towards short term accomplishments and impact. Doesn't take a holistic view of your contributions.

10. 5.0

Awesome place to work

Apr 11, 2021 - Production Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Knowledge sharing and tools help you grow

Cons

Company brand gives negative vibes to the people

Viewing 1 - 10 of 320 Reviews