Facebook Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Seattle, WA Area

4.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to manage (in 192 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 51 reviews)

"Open, fast, no bs"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your great feedback. We really appreciate the transparency from Mark, Sheryl, and the entire leadership team. This open culture does permeate throughout the company, and we are focused on... More

"Good money, but hard work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation, good reputation, free food & snack

Cons

Too much pressure, hard to maintain work-life balance, lots of competition, some politics

3. "A great place for engineers, but not for math people."

Current Intern - PhD Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - PhD Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern

Pros

Best IT company probably. Free meals. Nice people. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Everything is good. No complaints.

Advice to Management

none

"Loving it so far!"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home
    Autonomy in work
    Family friendly
    Flexibility to move teams
    Perks
    Amenities on campus
    Medical benefits
    Shuttle services
    Challenging work space
    Plenty opportunities to hack and build new ideas

Cons

Overwhelming Information and communication channels
    Diversity
    Workload can be overbearing sometimes
    Too much travel
    Parking can be a pain in downtown

Jul 13, 2017 – Head of Recruiting

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the flexible work mode, autonomy, our benefits and the challenge of your work. Your constructive feedback is well taken - we hope you continue to discuss... More

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is free and always delicious.

Cons

Overbearing management needs to let engineers be.

Advice to Management

No more overbearing please

"All good here."

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- In FB you work hard but FB also works hard to make you happy.

Cons

- Engineering processes can be chaotic due to the rapid growth of the company.

"Awesome Company/ Great Employees"

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aside from the countless perks that are literally too long to list out here, one of the best things about this company is it's people. Everyone goes above and beyond to help each other to succeed. It truly is a team effort.

Upon arriving to the office every morning, everyone from the reception staff to your team says hello to you, and genuinely is interested in your life. People love coming to work every morning and are excited about what they do here every day, and it shows.

Many companies as competitive as this expect a lot from their employees, and so does Facebook. However, they also encourage a healthy work/ life balance, ensuring their employees are taking enough time off (either by working reasonable hours every day, and/or actually using all of their PTO) to be able to stay fresh and ready to work when at work.

Cons

Not many cons to the company. It is a large company, so I guess the biggest con would be you are not going to know everyone at the company. But with how friendly people are, you will make friends in no time!

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome transparency! It goes a long way with the employees.

"I couldn't imagine a better place to start my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Tremendous autonomy: It is still very much a culture where you are expected to find impact and deliver.
    + Fast paced culture: Very few people try to stop you from getting things done. Everyone values the benefits of iteration
    + Easy internal mobility: No interview, no BS. Everything was decided in a day for me.
    + Great perks: Comp, food, office space, healthcare, you name it!
    + Exciting work: Facebook is building everything from social media to VR, React to airplanes.

Cons

- Tremendous autonomy: It REALLY is up to you.
    - Size: Definitely feels big if you are trying to meet new people.

May 24, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thanks for sharing! We're glad to hear that you are enjoying career growth and autonomy here at Facebook. Thank you for all you do to support our mission of making the world more open and connected.... More

9. "Optical enginner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, challenging projects, clear vision

Cons

None. It is a great company to advance career.

10. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome free food (3 times a day high quality breakfast, lunch and dinner, made fresh from scratch with organic ingredients)
    Smart and driven people to work with
    Insane compensation (mind blowing!)
    A strong culture of fairness
    Strong bottom-up work culture
    Impact driven, much less politics than other companies

Cons

Intense environment, highly demanding, but also highly rewarding

Advice to Management

Top priority must be to retain this culture as the company grows.

Apr 17, 2017 – Director, Global Recruiting Programs and Operations

Thanks for sharing. We're proud of our people, the way we work and the opportunities there are here to have an impact. We're happy that you are thriving at the intersection of it all. Caring for and... More

Showing 60 of 2,131 reviews