Facebook Software Engineer Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Facebook Software Engineer Intern Reviews

Updated 15 Oct 2019

4.6
  1. "Great as a software internship"

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Well established procedure for code review mean that you'll learn how to write quality code very fast. They've dealt with the problems of scale really well and everything is streamlined in a very intelligent way. Loads of free food. Projects vary by team and manager but I had an interesting one that I think was quite a bit more than just an "intern project". Hours were flexible.

Cons

None that come to mind honestly. There's definitely a lot of variability based on which team that you're on, and I know I had one of the best experiences of the people I talked to, but most people were overall happy. I've heard that the requirements for getting a return fulltime offer can be really intense, but I was still an underclassman and was only interested in a return internship offer.

Facebook2019-09-24
  2. "A memorable summer!"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Really great benefits and smart people around you all the time. Lots of ways to learn about different parts of the company and opportunities to travel.

Cons

Hard to feel like you are making an impact because it is so large. Sometimes feels very performance-obsessed.

Facebook2019-10-15
  3. "intern experience"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

very good project and mentor

Cons

sometimes only focus on feedback

Facebook2019-09-15
  4. "Great place to intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

-ridiculous pay -great food/perks -team selection survey (most internships dont let you choose team at all) -free housing

Cons

-pretty stressful sometimes for interns, cause you have to produce something useful and complete by the end of the 12 weeks

Facebook2019-04-21
  5. "SWE Intern"

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Facebook is an incredible dynamic place filled with lots of extremely intelligent and interesting people. The work they give is meaningful and the freedom even more so. I think this is probably one of the best places to work in the world, if not the best. I could go into all the perks, but honestly, the best part are the people and the work itself and the respect you are given. The office in MPK is also simply... stunning.

Cons

Only con for me is that if you dislike the mission of Facebook, it can be a bit difficult to work there. Also some of the perks were so good that I felt that they could have toned it down a little bit. Work life balance could be better, but its a high paying interesting job with lots of perks. So honestly not much room to complain here either.

Facebook2018-09-18

"High impact work at the cost of massive stress"

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

- Established, well respected company with prestige and strong engineering - Sets/defines industry standards - Pay is top of the line, benefits are amazing, perks are unbelievable

Cons

- Overworked with extremely high expectations - No hand holding whatsoever - "Impact" (measurement used to describe success) sometimes left intentionally vague - People are not really sociable, socially-aware, or generally likeable

Advice to Management

Get rid of that stupid tool that lets you compare how many lines of code you wrote versus everyone else so that I could've saved so many long nights trying to stay on par with everyone else

Facebook2018-03-29
  7. "Amazing company"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

- Raises and promotions are determined based on a structured performance review system, so you don't have to proactively negotiate with your manager. Engineers regularly meet with their manager's manager, and provide upward feedback to their manager during the performance review cycle. There are also anonymous feedback surveys, which say that the vast majority of employees at Facebook are happy with their managers.... - Work-life balance: My manager specifically told me not to work on weekends. - Overall culture of people being helpful towards each other. Lots of places to ask questions and get support. People will help you even if you're on a completely different team. - There's really good infrastructure and a lot of things at Facebook "just work." - You really get the sense that Facebook as a company takes care of its employees and cares about your happiness. - Overall it is the best company I've worked at.

Cons

The food is too delicious, especially the dessert, I gained a lot of weight

Facebook2017-10-07

"Job Experience"

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work culture, great projects, free food and a very good pay

Cons

Might be a bit tough to grow through the positions so most people switch to other company's

Facebook2017-09-29
  9. "Great Time"

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Worked on page insights team

Cons

I really liked being at Facebook.

Facebook2017-09-29

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

* Smart employees * lots of ownership over your work * room to advance * excellent pay and benefits

Cons

* Work life balance isn't the best.

Facebook2017-08-16