Facebook Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 579 reviews

4.5
  1. "happy place to work"

Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Everyone's motivated and smart. People care about your success, and there are so many things to learn. It's really open, too. You can ask about even the most c o n f i d e n t i a l things. The Workplace groups are a good place to find some humor.

Cons

The work is sometimes really hard, and your salary / promotion depends on the amount of impact you have. This means that if your team embarks on failed projects, you could see a decrease in your chances of career advancement, even if it was higher-level management's fault. There are also a lot of people who work really long hours, and you're stacked against them during the performance summary cycle evaluations.

Facebook2019-09-15

"Amazing Employer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- amazing training for employees - amazing culture - smart people - good amenities - massive room for impact

Cons

- very sensitive to metrics - extrovert on average so will make you a bit uncomfortable - competitive peers - a lot of direct feedback that may feel uncomfortable at first

Advice to Management

keep the focus on big bet projects

Facebook2019-07-17
  3. "intern experience"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

very good project and mentor

Cons

sometimes only focus on feedback

Facebook2019-09-15
  4. "Great company to work at - do not believe to different news"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work in company for 6 months, but I like how company works and operates. One of policies is an openness - this includes famous weekly Q&As. Senior management tries to explain the background behind decisions, so you know why one or another thing had to be done. In general everything focuses on making product which would be better for customers. There were a number of mistakes makes with privacy perspective..., but there is a trend to improve this. This is very good approach - instead of hiding mistakes, company focuses on fixing them. After getting an offer I was not sure to join the company because of its reputation, but being inside I figured out most of this is an exaggerations to make a hype in news. Work style is very flexible - you want to deliver new things, to make an impact, but from another perspective, it is not demanding and it is far from sweat factory in some other companies. It left time to learn something, you can attend many meeting remotely. Work life balance is very good - it is difficult to improve it without affecting the work (someone should do the work, right?). There are a lot of young people around (ex-students, but usually with great knowledge), but also there are still a number of experienced people - so aging doesn't seems to be a problem at FB.

Cons

Work style is open space. Many new buildings are awesome, while a number of old buildings are depressing - dimmed lighting, gray ceilings. Some buildings have a quiet policy, but for others it is not so good. I'd recommend remodel old buildings (hack, paint ceiling to a white, so it will reflect the light, install better lighting, work with designers!), split large rooms into smaller, team-sized rooms, add more VC... rooms so people could easier get on conference call without disturbing others. Another minus is hyper-concentrated campus in Menlo Park. It is difficult to find a good, reasonable-priced rent in that area. It works well for young people, but for families with kids there are a lot of other factors to be taken into account, so Menlo Park area just doesn't work.

Advice to Management

It would be good to have another campus in East Bay - somewhere in Dublin / Pleasanton area.

Facebook2019-09-12
  5. "Great for an internship"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

- Personally had a positive experience with my team and got to meet with a lot of higher-ups and engineers from other teams. - FB really kills it with internship events = )

Cons

- Hit or miss on the team you get placed on. Some interns found themselves working more than 50/60 hours a week and tried to avoid their manager.

Facebook2019-09-11

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom to switch teams Huge impact

Cons

Focus too much on impact

Facebook2019-09-07
  7. "Excellent place to grow and learn"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engineer driven environment Surrounded by experienced and sharp people Compensation and perks

Cons

Public perception of the company

Facebook2019-08-28
  8. "good company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked working there, It was great

Cons

No such, I loved the environment and people

Facebook2019-08-28
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer() in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Inclusive, supportive, challenging, fun, stimulating

Cons

Can get very busy at times

Facebook2019-08-25

"7 Years Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Facebook values your time by removing most obstacles that prevent you from being productive. You're surrounded by highly competent, hard working coworkers. Collaboration across disciplines (engineering, design, content strategy, user research, data science, growth marketing, product management) is very good. The semiyearly evaluation process is fair and focused on personal growth. The executives care deeply about... the employees and the people who use our products.

Cons

The productivity expectation is very high. Engineering oncall rotations can sometimes be very difficult. Some teams can be too data-driven, focusing on only their top-level metrics, without investing in projects which improve quality of life.

Facebook2019-08-11