Facebook Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Engineer

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance could be better (in 178 reviews)

• Work-life balance: pressure to move fast (in 49 reviews)

"Open, fast, no bs"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Facebook Response

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your great feedback. We really appreciate the transparency from Mark, Sheryl, and the entire leadership team. This open culture does permeate throughout the company, and we are focused on ... More

2. "I couldn't imagine a better place to start my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Tremendous autonomy: It is still very much a culture where you are expected to find impact and deliver.
    + Fast paced culture: Very few people try to stop you from getting things done. Everyone values the benefits of iteration
    + Easy internal mobility: No interview, no BS. Everything was decided in a day for me.
    + Great perks: Comp, food, office space, healthcare, you name it!
    + Exciting work: Facebook is building everything from social media to VR, React to airplanes.

Cons

- Tremendous autonomy: It REALLY is up to you.
    - Size: Definitely feels big if you are trying to meet new people.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to move between teams. Openness​ in discussing all ongoing projects.

Cons

Work life balance might not be great.

5. "Software Engineer at Facebook"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, great comp, great work environment, and great perks.

Cons

Amount of work can be quite high from time to time, and finding/digesting all the information you need for your job can be complicated.

"Life-Changing Opportunity/Environment. Really Underrated in the Valley, IMO..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are an endless amount of pros about working at Facebook. If I were to pick one pro out of all of them - it's the people. Whatever you heard or read about Facebook really doesn't give the place enough credit. I'm not in HR/recruiting or even management, but I do see a common trend in everyone they bring on board. Everyone is smart, motivated, non-judgemental, and freakishly CARING. There are so many people with heart at FB.

To be honest, you can be one heck of a coder, but if you're selfish - I don't think you will get hired here. I've previously worked at Google and MSFT; FB blows both of them out of the water (maybe I'm a little biased). Other pro's of course are...

+ Free world class food options all day long on the main campus cafeteria (MPK 20/21).This includes great snacks/drink options everywhere else as well.
    + Fantastic PPO/HMO health care options. The premiums are very reasonable.
    + Resources. They will give you everything you need so you can do an amazing job - period. Hardware, software, etc...
    + Did I mention the people? :)

Cons

FB (especially MPK) is expanding very fast. Things get unorganized and chaotic. Communicating with colleagues in international branch offices can be tricky.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day, we spend most of our time with the people we work with. Keep bringing on great, empathic people. I really think it has transformed the culture (in a super duper positive way).

"I learned I didn't want to be a software engineer"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

Great perks, very flexible work environment

Cons

8-10 hours of programming a day for three months was just not for me. Might be for you though. GREAT place to be if it's for you

8. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation package if you join the company at the right time (when stock price is low.) Otherwise it won't be too attractive unless you are E5.

Lots of things to learn in the company, good benefit.

If you can get a management role, you will be in haven. Most of the managers their life is very very easy, they only need to care about their team don't get downsize in the political wrestling.

Cons

Manager's turn over rate is too high. I got 8 different manager in three year. Some area got lots of politics, watch who is the head of that department.

Instagram, Messenger has pretty bad culture at this moment.

Literally no life when you want to get good perf review ratings.

Advice to Management

Fire those manager who doesn't have good pulse review. Don't keep bring lots of manager from outside especially from those company which culture is bad. They bring the bad culture into the company as well. (e.g. Yahoo at this stage)

9. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is carefully engineered to be a great place to work. Engineers are given great benefits and compensation, a lot of autonomy, and a lot of resources to grow.

Cons

Very few, as long as you diligently maintain your own work-life boundaries.

10. "Great Company Culture"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work was mildly interesting, The code base is massive which is different from many other companies. My team was amazing, as was every single person I worked with.

Cons

Impact is important so code quality can be sacrificed for speed.

11. "Very positive"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, awesome co-workes, smart management

Cons

No real cons, great opportunity