Facebook "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Facebook Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Sep 14, 2019

4.4
Pros
  • "free food and transport are great(in 333 reviews)

• "Working with really smart people(in 275 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "happy place to work"

Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Everyone's motivated and smart. People care about your success, and there are so many things to learn. It's really open, too. You can ask about even the most c o n f i d e n t i a l things. The Workplace groups are a good place to find some humor.

Cons

The work is sometimes really hard, and your salary / promotion depends on the amount of impact you have. This means that if your team embarks on failed projects, you could see a decrease in your chances of career advancement, even if it was higher-level management's fault. There are also a lot of people who work really long hours, and you're stacked against them during the performance summary cycle evaluations.

Facebook2019-09-15

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them... - Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg,... Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real. - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else. - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere. - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance. - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible. Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done;... no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so. Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook2016-02-17

"Wouldn't recommend"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Snacks, food, benefits, office looks good

Cons

-Long hours, can't work here if you have kids and have a good family life -Lack of diversity -Not recognized for hard work only if your manager likes you. Don't care about people, only business needs

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and bias

Facebook2019-04-20

"Best place to work!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Transparent company - Great pay - Flexible schedule - Overtime for admins - Best benefits!

Cons

- High pressure - Can be long hours

Facebook2018-08-02

"Respectful workplace. Impactful work. Great benefits."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The company really cares about upscaling their managers. As an individual contributor myself, I really appreciate having a caring and at the same time professional manager, who gives me a lot of flexibility, but steps in when I need them. - You are being recognized for impact, not for how many years of experience you bring to the table. This helps getting good reviews for hard work, even when you're young and... unexperienced. - You get many opportunities to work cross-functionally, which is great for diversity of thought. Personally, I like the fact I am exposed to working with technical and non-technical people. - Some of the benefits are amazing. Fertility treatment coverage and in general medical coverage are the best out there.

Cons

- Facebook purposefully hires very smart and ambitious individuals. Even when there's no pressure from the manager to work long hours, you often see people working long hours, which in return puts more pressure on you. - There are no incentives to stay in the company for longer than 4 years. Once you vest all your RSUs, refreshers you get for good performance look very unattractive. It's more and more common for... people to leave FB after 4 years, and come back a year later to re-negotiate their RSUs. - You are being "punished" with certain benefits if both spouses work for Facebook. A good example is baby cash which you get per family, not per employee. - Commute in the Bay area is terrible. - It's getting very very crowded in MPK. Facilities are definitely not keeping up with recruiting.

Facebook2018-05-16

"Tech Recruiting at Facebook.."

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing perks and benefits. FB is used internally and truly feels like a community - something I haven never experienced at any other company before. It's a place to explore your passions with classes in the arts, a music room, running clubs, health center, etc. Everything is at your fingertips.

Cons

The recruiting team here is over 1000+ people and going up. Like someone else mentioned, the quality of hires for the recruiting team is worsening. The R4R team is so desperate to hit their goal that the bar is low and it shows. There are many new inexperienced recruiters that we just wish would or COULD do their basic, functional job. The role of a sourcer and recruiter is becoming smaller and smaller. And... although leadership insists they care, every action they take suggests they do not. It is hard to constantly be reminded that you are merely just another number to be replaced asap. Be prepared to work long, long hours. There isn't such a thing as "work/life" balance as most in recruiting will work into the night and weekends. The goals and expectations are extremely high so you're constantly competing with a whole org of overachievers. Realistically, this means it'll be tough to even achieve a "Meets All" rating during the review cycle as everyone is overachieving, thereby changing that already high goal.

Advice to Management

It's becoming a toxic environment, so please figure this out before your top performers can't take anymore of this. This canNOT just be considered as a "growing pains" problem.

Facebook2018-02-05

"Software engineer intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

- challenging and impactful project with a lot of ownership - great benefits - supportive environment and helpful coworkers and mentors

Cons

- not a lot of documentation because of culture of moving fast - many employers are very invested in their work and spend long hours; as a result it can be easy to let work/life balance slip

Facebook2017-11-15

"Technical Recruiter"

Current Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook for more than 8 years

Pros

Everything you could ever want when it food and equipment. You get to go for talent camp in MPK which is fun and you get to see the headquarters. The Facebook Recruiter tool for applicant tracking is amazing. People are so friendly and nice and all seem to get along. Coordination is great at partnering with you when you need to get things pushed to schedule.

Cons

Communication is hard... Email is dead and you work heavily on Facebook @ work which is a separate platform from Facebook and even then no one reads. People are in the practice of asking instead of seeking out info that is always posted on Facebook@ work or you can find it on the Wiki. You work long hours... It never feels like enough and due to everything you could ever need is at the office it's kinda weird to... leave for anything during the day. As a contractor, your manager cannot give you any feedback or advice they have to go through your employer making communication around action items or advice hard. You feel like a contractor, you only have access to certain tools, meeting, events, and info. You feel left out often and you are not allowed to move teams or interview for a full-time role before 6 months. It's competitive it's not enough to be a good recruiter... filling roles fast and always winning is expected. But you have to constantly show that you are doing it a different way than anyone else. Make an impact means bring something different which can be extremely stressful if you are someone who values recruiting fundamentals versus reinventing the wheel to tackle hiring goals.

Facebook2017-10-30

"Finance analyst"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Motivating, Mission-driven, perks (food, gym benefit, laundry, etc), high responsibility, 21 vacation days, unlimited sick days, easy to switch between roles

Cons

long commute and long hours

Facebook2017-08-21
  10. "Director, Customer Insights"

Current Employee - Director, Customer Insights in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities, lots of perks, A teams!

Cons

Long hours, cut throat culture

Facebook2017-03-13