Facebook "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Facebook Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 4, 2019

4.4
Pros
  • "free food and transport are great(in 333 reviews)

• "Working with really smart people(in 275 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Dream job"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Highly meaningful work with huge impact. It's challenging. It's interesting. - Most transparent company I've ever worked at. - A lot of autonomy . - You never stop learning. - Work revolves around more than the review cycle. - Ambition and ideas are rewarded. - Leadership is thoughtful, fair, kind, empathetic. So are middle managers -- heck, so are people on every team I work with. - I want to spend... the duration of my career at Facebook.

Cons

- Pressure to move very quickly. - Work/life balance can suffer sometimes (there are phases of very manageable workload and burn out). - Can get bureaucratic sometimes as most big companies do.

Facebook2019-12-03

"Fast paced company with high expectations, but incredibly fair. You won't a place that cares more about it's people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible benefits - Excellent compensation that rewards strong performance - Lots of autonomy - Tons of room for growth - Very transparent from the top down - Strong leadership - Intelligent and caring colleagues - The most fair and well thought out review process you will find everywhere - Exciting work

Cons

- If you don't learn to make the work life balance work for you, it can be exhausting. But you'll also be given lots of support with this if you ask for it. - It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, chances are you're going to be surrounded by a ton of other people who are just as good if not better. Imposter syndrome is real, but if you got an offer, you probably belong here too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep an eye on employee burnout, keep supporting your people and keep pushing them, and the rest of the world, forward.

Facebook2017-02-17

"Know what you are getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Facebook is a good company to work for. They pay well. They have great perks. At the beginning, life is good. Facebook rewards ambition.

Cons

The appeal quickly wears off. Your experience at Facebook highly depends on the team you join. Facebook does not have the best people managers. If you join a team with a good manager who knows the system, you will be more likely to have a productive, prosperous time at Facebook. If you join a team with a bad manager, your work-life balance will be horrible. You will feel extreme pressure with the Performance... cycle review every six months. Worse yet, you may even blame yourself for what's happening, not realizing the role your manager plays until it is too late. Facebook is a good company for new college graduates. Even with a bad experience, you can learn so much about practical, applied technology here. For those with several years of experience, or with family commitments, be careful. Come into Facebook with a clear sense of what you need from Facebook that you cannot get anywhere else. Be prepared to leave when that is delayed, or not a possibility, or comes at a cost to your family or external commitments. For most people, Facebook is not a company that you join and happily work at for the rest of your life. Facebook is a temporary stop that will squeeze as much productivity out of you as it can. When that stops, it forces you out or makes you want to leave.

Facebook2019-08-19
  4. "Great place - just some growing pains."

Current Employee - Recruiting Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are incredible, work life balance (flexibility) is industry leading. Compensation is very high as well.

Cons

Facebook is in a bit of an identity crisis. We are no longer a startup but in some ways the company is trying to “hold onto” that spirit. Unfortunately, you can’t make every single person happy when you’re growing to be a 100K company. Additionally, it is feeling more and more corporate and “consulty” every day - which is hard for folks who have been around for more than a few years.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring senior people externally. We needed more seniority a few years ago but it is getting to a point where we are hiring senior folks who are disenchanted by the lack of scope in their role. We need to give internal folks more of these opportunities to grow.

Facebook2019-12-04

"My experience as a Software Engineer at Facebook"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Anything related to perks - Mobility within the company/offices - A lot of growth opportunity - Many users use the products you work on

Cons

- Performance Review Cycle - Up or out promotion policy - Due to the above two, work life balance

Facebook2019-11-29

"Pleasantly Surprised"

Site Selection Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

I'm a 55 year old working in a company where the average age is 28, and I've never been happier. I have always wanted to work in a company where I wasn't the proverbial square peg, and after nearly 30 years in the work force, I believe that I have found the company that complements my ideology for how a company should operate. Here are the "Pros" as I see them... - Leadership: Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg,... Chris Cox and the rest of the leadership team. Inspiring, smart and totally real. - The Culture: The openness is a real thing, we're trusted to do the right thing, mistakes are expected, being yourself is important and encouraged, humility is encouraged and expected, building trust is paramount, the mission of making the world a more open and connected place isn't just a cool phrase because it guides everything. It's not about us, it's about everyone else. - The People: Smart and nice is what I find. The diversity is better than any other company I've worked at and it's getting better. Those that are figuring out how to make what we do better for everyone are really good at implementing their ideas. Two years ago I didn't know what this company really was or if it had a secure future. I can clearly see now that they have what it takes to last, and it's sincere. - Management: Managers are hired because they're good managers and not because they're good at something else. The management track is different than the contributor track and they're equal in importance. - Benefits: Working in the Valley it's hard to differentiate all the benefits employees receive and Facebook is at least equal to all the major tech companies, but coming from Seattle the benefits are nothing short of incredible. Granted, I haven't been with the company for very long and I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I can tell what's real and what's not; this place is for real.

Cons

Like any tech company, the work is big and complicated so work/life balance can suffer from time to time. The difference is that it's the passion within the individuals that drives them to work long hours and forego time off. Of course there can be times when schedule demands force the imbalance, but it's not such that 10-12 hours days become commonplace and expected regardless. We do what we do to get the job done;... no one is killing themselves because there's an order to do so. Being able to eat to your hearts/stomachs content can be dangerous to the waistline, but that's a self-control thing and not the company's issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fight hard to not be complacent. I believe that humility is the key so don't ever lose that thinking. Your motives will always be suspect, but if you're able to look in the mirror everyday and know that your motives are pure, that's all that matters. Walking the talk is the best evidence there is.

Facebook2016-02-17
  7. "Very high starting point to join as a new grad"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice perks, friendly working environment

Cons

Work life balance is poor

Facebook2019-11-15
  8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer V in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for. Interesting problems to solve Smart people

Cons

Quite Bad work life balance

Facebook2019-10-31
  9. "Designers"

Current Contractor - Visual Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Organization in terms of team talent delegations

Facebook2019-10-30
  10. "Technical Program Management Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook for less than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, impactful work, encouraging management, great campus.

Cons

Public and social view of the company

Facebook2019-10-29