Factual Reviews | Glassdoor

Factual Founder & CEO Gil Elbaz
Gil Elbaz

1. "Factual Review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Factual (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Factual is the people. They're down-to-earth, fun, and great friends. Factual also has a great vacation policy (take as much time as you want -- just clear it with your manager). Above all, what I like most about Factual is being empowered to make a difference -- you're not just a tiny cog.

Cons

This may sound facetious -- but, we don't have an engineering motto. I believe this is important, as it can and should inform the decisions you make on a day-to-day basis.

Advice to Management

This isn't "advice", because I have none. I just wanted to say: you guys are awesome -- please keep up the superb work.

"Culture is great, Respect and Compensation are not"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Factual full-time

Pros

Great culture, interest groups and clubs for employees, monthly outings for the whole company, and great co-workers.

Cons

Everything else. Management has a tendency to talk down to you and after the honeymoon period ended, I realized that being spoken down to is routine for some employees here. Managers play favorites and have heavy biases. If you are not one of the lucky workers under their wings, you'll be given little respect and a horrible compensation package.

As I mentioned in the title, the salaries posted here are NOT accurate. Compensation is severely below market rate and managers' biases factor into what someone is paid. Even as an engineer, I realized that I was basically cheap labor. The company can and will hire people as cheap labor and hold you to different standards to justify paying you less. It's a hard lesson I learned working here and is the reason I left for a better company in the LA area.

Advice to Management

Eliminate biases and hear employee concerns. Also respect employees and avoid being condescending to them.

"Wonderful company to work for!"

I have been working at Factual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work/life balance.
    -Employees are wonderful! Very kind and respectful of others.
    -There is always room to grow into new positions.
    -Always excited to come into work.

Cons

-Not a company that provides a lot of guidance.
    -Need more women in senior management!

Advice to Management

Need more women in senior management.

"Software Engineer SF"

I have been working at Factual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team, team, team. We work with very smart engineers -- capable from an implementation and a theoretical perspective. Not unusual to work alongside engineers who are domain experts and who have built very successful libraries used by hundreds of people. The work itself it also very engaging; we use cutting edge and just plain fun technologies like Clojure, Spark, and LISP and solve interesting distributed systems, high volume data processing, data flow programming, and machine learning problems to name a few.

Cons

The San Francisco office in particular lacks any formal mentorship structure. There is no pair programming, few code reviews, only a handful of engineers etc. Also, beyond being engineering-driven and very nice, the company culture has yet to be formalized.

Advice to Management

More structure, technical management, and opportunity for growth in the SF office.

"A Goldilocks Startup"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Factual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Factual since October. From my experience thus far, these are the key takeaways:
    1. The company culture is fantastic. I cannot stress that enough. In the short time I've been here, I've made many close friends and employees seem to really enjoy spending time together. A big group of us just went to Mammoth together. It makes coming to work really fun.
    2. Factual has been around for 9 years and is not a super early stage startup. Having said that, I believe it is one of the rare startups that is in a life stage that still allows for ample growth, career opportunities and risk taking while being stable enough so that you are not worried about if it is going to be around next year.
    3. I've been really happy working at Factual and there are many factors to that happiness, ranging from work-life balance, a culture that fits my personality, a solid, growing company that has multiple revenue streams and management that delegates meaningful responsibilities effectively.

I feel lucky to work here!

Cons

As with any startup that is in a growth phase, there are many moving parts and some of our product strategy is evolving. You have to be comfortable with change and rolling with the punches occasionally. We move super fast and people are given meaningful runway when it comes to making decisions. You must be comfortable with the inevitable stress that comes with that responsibility.

"Great place to work and learn"

I have been working at Factual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Focus on personal health: flexible hours, frequent check-ins with manager, gym compensation, home internet compensation, sponsored monthly outings and team outings.

Focus on learning: frequent book clubs, opportunities for conferences, time allocation to work on new projects, and lots of support from the whole company.

Factual is very practical: it's not stingy with spending, but also doesn't spend huge amounts of money for little to no reason. Engineers are constantly encouraged to learn and to follow good software engineering practices to make code more maintainable.

Everyone values transparency, so almost all meeting notes are posted internally and managers encourage comments for new policies.

Management constantly seeks to improve.

Cons

Factual has been around for a while so internal tools can have lots of cruft and fragmentation. The company is mostly engineering (a pro or con depending on your job/personality). Working in the ad tech industry can be strange and frustrating at times (but Factual does a lot more than that too).

"great opportunity for personal & professional growth"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Factual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

incredible lateral mobility, responsibility, autonomy, and opportunity for growth. very good culture around making everyone feel valued, respected, and heard - regardless of position or seniority. the employee retention rate at Factual is much higher than average which reflects well on the company's top priority of keeping its employees happy. the hiring bar is incredibly high (even when compared to other top-notch engineering companies in LA/Venice/Santa Monica/San Francisco) in terms of all fit, technical competence, raw analytical ability, and drive - so the system of self-led work does really well for those who meet that bar. very attentive, flexible, and humble middle management help make my work rewarding even in the grind of things. an all-around honest, transparent, and thoughtful institution that I think is unparalleled by a lot of tech companies both in and out of LA.

Cons

recently scaling out the global places product has created a very big need for current engineers to step up their work (in terms of volume and commitment to project longevity), and for more engineering resources. it also adds more value to prioritization of various projects, which can put a strain on the product and engineering teams - whose visions aren't always aligned. this often puts the non-managers in the middle of a tricky tug-of-war between teams. I see this as an inevitable byproduct of our growth that will iron itself out with time - with the people of Factual being the first priority of the company, it's hard to imagine that this won't be the case in the near future.

"Best Culture Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Factual (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of companies preach that they have great company culture but then don't act or manage the company based on their values. Factual is the poster child for great company culture. This company fosters an environment where people challenge themselves and others, shows that fun should in the workplace and, most importantly, management cares about your career goals and will do what they can to help you grow. Also, everyone on the team is genuinely nice.

This is the second company I have worked for in LA in the tech space and I would highly recommend job candidates to look at Factual when they are looking to be a part of the growing tech community here in LA.

Cons

As all startups do, we have growing pains. One of them is that we can't find quality candidates as quickly as we would like. Being that culture is very important to us, not only do job candidates need to be a job fit but they also need to be a team fit. I hope we continue this as we move forward.

Advice to Management

Hire more women for senior positions.

10. "Factual, 3-month review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Factual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart, knowledgeable, talented field with a lot of mavens from industry. Huge growth opportunities for various products.

Cons

Compensation comparable to L.A. rather than S.F.

"Smart people. Welcoming work environment."

I have been working at Factual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Factual has a lot of sharp minds and good attitudes. The company structure is relatively flat and in general people are open to new ideas, which makes it easy to approach anyone and propose what's on you mind. Factual is also in an (I think) exciting space and growing all the time, which means there's always something new to learn or think about. The atmosphere is very trusting- don't expect to be micromanaged. If you use your time responsibly then it's pretty easy to be flexible with your hours/schedule.

One other pro: Gil. He's brilliant, hands on, and genuinely excited about the mission and the people.

Cons

Small company undergoing some growing pains. This isn't necessarily a con, but it's not for everyone. Don't always expect a lot of guidance. You won't run into a lot of red tape trying to do something new, but there's a good chance that you'll have to build it from the ground up.