Faircount Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Ross Jobson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not for everyone"

Pros

Potential to make money is there.

Cons

No real team building. Office atmosphere is boring. A lot of micro-management.

Advice to Management

Actually distribute leads as said in training. Create a work-hard play-hard atmosphere in the office. Not just a work-hard atmosphere with very little incentive.

2. "Inside Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at Faircount Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office view and available parking, pop and snack machine. Nice bathrooms.

Cons

Company has poor training, no middle management, no sales reports, no coaching or mentoring, more of a throw you in the shrinking pool and give you 2 weeks to make it or get canned. Ownership is British, and the CEO runs the show 100%, constantly in your face making you repeat his words to your customers as he says them if he is listening to the call or not. Constant insulting comments to floor sales people. Shrinking staff of about 10 reps work under intimidation. No one helps each other, survival of whoever can make a sale. The product is a print publication with an online version that goes to supposedly top decision makers in the Government. You sell ad space inbetween articles and interviews. First, print ads in magazines are about dead, and customers I spoke to who were familiar with the magazine said it is a "non producer", "Coffee Table" book at best. You can't leave messages, you are not supposed to email.. You are basically a script reader or vantrilliquist dummy to the owner speaking word for work. If you don't make a sales in a few weeks you are history. Company has had a depleting work force for years. No sales meetings, no sales reports, no sales managers, just about 10 people crowded into one room on the phone reading a script or repeating owners words. The $40 k base is gone in 4 weeks then you are on straight commission. If you like no security, intimidation, no selling infastructure, a 4 week base and a revolving door company this is the place for you, otherwise there are plenty of phone jobs in Tampa Bay.

Advice to Management

Develop internal management, have sales meetings, have sales reports, improve training, promote web version of product, have email campaigns and a web trade show.

3. "Tough and rewarding. And though I left, Faircount prepared me for future opportunities"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Faircount Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have to put a great deal of work into become a successful advertising sales representative at Faircount. They provide excellent training... the training was thorough and effective. I went through the training with two people - one had zero sales experience, the other several years. They seemed to easily grasp the concepts and sales mantra that Faircount uses. To this day, I still apply nearly all of my training to a sales position in IT. 1. Don't take a no from someone that can't say yes. 2. The more people you speak with the more opportunities you will generate, hence more deals. 3. How to effectively mine my own leads.

Cons

There were periods where we had very difficult publications to sell ads into. The customers weren't buying and you can stuck on a project. It's an "open-office" be prepared to work with some people that should be wearing deodorant and fresh socks. The kitchen is disgusting, but I can't lay that on the company. They try to keep the place clean.

Advice to Management

More digital ad products. More print projects that have greater frequency. Dress code and hygienic standards.

"Move right along!"

I worked at Faircount Media full-time

Pros

Lawrence Roberts has drunk the Kool-Aid, is passionate about the place and a nice guy.
    The location is pretty convenient.

Cons

When you walk through a 2/3 empty outbound call center that's so quiet you can hear a pin drop, all the alarm bells should be sounding. Sure they have some great reviews on Glassdoor - they are a MEDIA COMPANY in the business of selling ADS.
    It's a typical churn & burn sales floor, with a difficult to sell print product. Back in the day they made money hand over fist - evolution has killed off other entities too.

They have a few OK managers and a few that shouldn't be allowed in the building - verbally abusive wackos. There are a lot better companies to work for than this old relic - hence the CONSTANT HIRING. Do yourself a favor and keep looking.

Advice to Management

Retire - close the business. But if you insist on sucking down tax payer money for vanity government publications - fire your verbally abusive, tantrum throwing managers.

5. "Great Place to Work and Learn!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great leadership, good pay, nice benefits. I met so many great people while working at Faircount. This was my second real sales job, and I can tell you that I learned a ton from this company. These are skills that I've brought with me to my current position.

The open working environment is great, as you have constant feedback and can really learn from others.

They're very understanding of any personal issues and they work to give you a great environment.

Another perk is they let everyone cut out early on Friday!

Side note but I feel it's important: Why did I leave?
    I'd love to still be a part of Faircount, however my girlfriend was Italian and needed to leave the country, so we packed our bags and went to Europe.

On top of everything they're a very honest company. When I left to Europe, I had a deal that I had been working come through, and they still gave me the commission even though I had been gone for more than a month. That always stuck in my head and I was very impressed. How many other companies would do that?

In any sales position I've seen, if you're not cutting it they'll let you go.. Faircount want to see you succeed and they spend a ton of time to train you and make sure you do well.

Cons

The only con I had was that it was in Tampa and I was commuting from Clearwater, so the traffic was hectic going home.

Advice to Management

Great job!

6. "Should have never left"

I have been working at Faircount Media full-time

Pros

Great building, Management. Great commissions and bonuses - core of top sales people that are willing to share knowledge. Unlimited potential to make money. I was a million dollar seller and left to what I thought were greener pastures, should have never left, I could be retiring sooner.

Cons

Not for the weak - this is a sales job, prepare for rejection.

Advice to Management

How about getting a dozen glazed donuts to go along with dozen other strange choices
    Cappuccino Bar?

7. "Media Sales"

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, top rated clients and excellent leadership

Cons

Put the work in and you can make the money

8. "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!"

Pros

They have free parking and it's close to the bus route.

Cons

Autacratic management style. Someone really should educate management as to how to correctly manage their employees effectively and bring them into the 21st century. This is a shady company most people don't last more than a month, which is why they are always hiring. I would never recommend this place to anyone, let alone a friend!

Advice to Management

Read up on ethics in corporate America.

"Wish I Could Stay"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at Faircount Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great publications and excellent work environment. I've been in advertising for 10+ years and wish I had found Faircount sooner. Benefits are exceptional, flexible pay plans, and paid training are all things that I had never seen before in my travels. If the wife hadn't gotten transferred, I would still be there.

Cons

Can't say anything other than the occasional IT snafu. You have to like an open-office environment(I do), as your co-workers are right across from you, and sometimes it gets loud.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! If I come back to Tampa, I hope you'll have me back.

"Don't believe what you read"

Current Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Faircount Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee but other wise nothing! Unless you like high turnover and people snapping their fingers telling you what to say, is what you are looking for ??

Cons

Bad coffee and if you like people snapping their fingers at you telling you what to do. The money is bad and the leaders are worst. Believe me when I say the good reviews do not come from the sales people only the managers. The highest turn over I have ever seen!! They must go through at least 60 a year. Are you next????????