Fairview Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

James Hereford
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management only communicated with the daytime supervisor (in 14 reviews)

• Complete lack of direction for the organization (in 4 reviews)

1. "Awful"

Pros

Continually built PTO.
    Position had some flexibility with hours.
    Birthplace staff members are phenomenal.
    Enjoyed time I worked at Ridges.

Cons

-Had to pay for parking and parking was only allowed on the East Bank after 2 pm so if you work on the East Bank during the morning you would have to park on the West Bank and ride a shuttle to the East Bank.
    -Upper management only communicated with the daytime supervisor. I was never informed of anything as the evening supervisor. This made it difficult to answer employees questions which would understandably anger employees.
    -Employees would ask for equipment necessary to perform their duties. Upper management would take an extended amount of time to approve the request, thus slowing down an already struggling department even more.
    -Employees were unionized, thus making it extremely difficult to get rid of bad employees, which understandably frustrated the good employees.
    -Communication between departments is abysmal. A simple office move was a massive CF because no one communicated.
    -Benefits are terrible.
    -The daytime supervisor and I told our director numerous times that we needed at least one more supervisor to effectively perform our duties across two campuses. We were told no every time. And now our positions are being eliminated and they will be using an outside company to fill what used to be our positions. The outside company plans on having 3-5 supervisors and one manager. Thus confirming what we had been telling our director.
    -UMMC East Bank has a terrible work culture. Each department looks out for themselves and themselves only. There is no team atmosphere.
    -My director tried to fire me at 35 weeks pregnant without cause. I had a clean record with nothing in my employee file except average reviews. When I got a lawyer to defend me, my director and the HR rep tried to say that I told them I wanted to quit during the meeting and was only staying for my benefits and was planning on quitting after my maternity leave. Contradictory statements that don’t make sense. Me quitting at any time was never a plausible situation since my husband and I need our dual incomes. Fairview performed an investigation into the situation and then their story changed again to that I was being fired because of an employee complaint. At no point during my years with Fairview had an employee complaint been brought to my attention. So basically they are an untrustworthy scum.

Advice to Management

Don’t fire employees without cause because you don’t want to pay their benefits and PTO and then lie and say that the person quit.
    Help your employees perform at the level you expect. If we don’t have the equipment or materials to perform our duties, patient experience will suffer.

2. "Much is promised but little is delivered"

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time

Pros

This is a hard one to answer.

Cons

Middle management and team leaders are out of touch with workforce. Most job tracks are dead ends; the promise of promotion is mentioned only as a means to appease workforce, yet never is it delivered. Bad for morale, bad for careers, bad for everyone.

Advice to Management

When was the last time you were on the front lines?

"Lab operations and services"

Current Employee - Token Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Token Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many areas need improvement to ensure better practices and patient care. Most of management is promoted through seniority alone not merit, metrics nor talent so don't worry about being experienced or certified in your area or as a consultant or manager.

Cons

Politics between HR, Compliance department, IT and management prevent stable sustainable and efficient growth and employee retention. Consulting firms around and out of town historically take advantage of the chaotic environment and bobble heads in charge - making a killing while never solving the snow balling of problems between integrating/interfacing the resulting, billing, and electronic medical systems/softwares.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul of management and "steering" committees - total wast of time, money and resources on management mediocrity that's unqualified and unethical at times. Company wide gender and minority discrimination in training, pay, scheduling and time off benefits - HR's edict protects the bullying management which causes high turn over of diverse talent as a constant. Overall, unaccountable and poor practices top down drive seriously sick patients down to Mayo!

"Department Assistant"

Current Employee - Department Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Department Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, pay is adequate

Cons

The bullying atmosphere is nurtured here

Advice to Management

take some classes on bullying

"Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fulfilling work to be in healthcare but there are plenty is other healthcare facilities out there. Fairview has a good 403b plan.

Cons

No work life balance. Expected to work extra hours and all hours of the night with no extra pay. They don't actually work to achieve results they are more concerned wit people being at their desk. Very old school mentality.

Advice to Management

Be flexible and you'll retain good talent and attract new young talent. Listen to all your unhappy employees!!!

"Application analyst"

Pros

Cool staffs except managers and upper management.
    I would said too much politics here but please don't care what they say just focus on work cause that's all they care. Also people just come to work not to be your friend..

Cons

Micro manage in the Epic Cadence team.
    Be-aware.
    No more work from home for IT.
    Old school staffs.
    No gym
    Fairview and u of m are corrupted
    Logo is all over the place Unorganize

Advice to Management

Apply to Mayo than apply here.

7. "Cpc instrument technician"

I worked at Fairview Health Services full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for overtime

Cons

Wherr do I even begin? You name it....

8. "CNA/HUC"

Pros

-Potential to move up within company if you continue schooling.
    -Great surgeons and anesthesiologist.
    -Union steward that helped me with an issue was wonderful and supportive.

Cons

-Short staffed constantly.
    -Disrespectful nurses and mangers.
    -All managment cares about is making money.
    -Feeling like your license is in jeopardy.
    -Management will find any reason to try and fire you.
    -There has been to many medical errors due to these issues.
    -High turn over rate.
    -It's always you against the management every time.
    -Even with the union in place, because the managment is so terrible I felt like I was constantly going to loose my job.

Advice to Management

-Start cutting out the middle men and hire managment with experience in not only management but the health care field.
    -Hold management more accountable for their actions and discipline them for doing wrong.
    -Recommend cleaning house of all the terrible managers on the units.

9. "Bad Management Experiences"

Pros

Wonderful community of employees who work diligently to satisfy the patient's needs. Great resources and facilities to timely treat patients and families.

Cons

Management is terrible. Nursing Management in specific. They are completely out of touch with patient needs and their only desires are to further their own careers at the cost of others.

Advice to Management

Try spending a day in the role of someone providing the direct care to patients. You're eyes will be opened.

"Terrible experience, not an organization for a high performing professional"

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits for non-Union employees are better than most companies. Retirement benefits plan is ancient and not effective if not an employee for nearly a decade.

Cons

Terrible. The company touts change and all of the fancy words to attract potential employees, once inside the organization you find out how stagnant, fearful of change, terrible the administration and non-clinical leaders are in their work. HR in particular is the worst cultural experience for an experienced employee. The constant turnover is a red flag I ignored and encourage job seekers considering Fairview or M Health to consider. Seeking employment outside of this organization and exiting as quickly as possible. This is not a place for a bright and shining star, this organization will kill anyone with enthusiasm very quickly.

Advice to Management

There isn't a way to untangle the knot that has created a nasty, fearful and culture that rewards its worst employees and terrible leadership behaviors.

If I thought there was hope here I would stay, however it's quite clear that dysfunction and corrupt administration is a choice.