Falconwood Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Alice Lawaetz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not an ideal place to work"

I worked at Falconwood full-time

Pros

Free coffee, Crystal City, VA

Cons

The company lacks senior leadership guidance, you are portrayed as 'butt in seat' to get money on the contract, and the clients are difficult.

Advice to Management

Care about your people.

2. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - CDRL Management Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - CDRL Management Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Falconwood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard-working and helpful co-workers, salary is excellent and the work is challenging.

Cons

There are no cons that I know of.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Crystal City, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Crystal City, VA

I worked at Falconwood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Falconwood is an awesome company, with really sharp people. They pay well, and you feel very much part of the team.

Cons

The org chart between managers and staff sometimes has horrible logic behind it. Some managers seriously need to be trained how to be managers. The benefits suck, and the HR function is run by someone that probably should not be in that role (the mistakes are costly and very serious at times. A friend had his wife's cancer treatments declined because paperwork had not been done). Retired military (like myself) will be fine working here because we have benefits, but beware for anyone else.

Advice to Management

Company is great, but the HR person should definitely not be in that role. That is likely the only real shortcoming of the company. Might get more of these young sharp kids if your benefits were better. Not everyone is retired military. Pay more attention to having managers in place that have a clue, and can lead as well as manage. At least train these bubbas how to be a manager. That would go a long way.

4. "I had been with Falconwood just after its beginning."

Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Falconwood full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Uses a model to keep overhead low (no extravagance) which allows the to make competitive bids while still providing competitive salaries.

Cons

Poor Recruiting department, claim to provide the small company family feel, but fall well short.

Advice to Management

More to follow

5. "Flying at Falconwood"

I have been working at Falconwood full-time

Pros

Forward thinking company that does try to keep talent.

Cons

Limited opportunities as a small business with limited positions

"Overall great company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Falconwood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great. Everyone I've met with at the company is really awesome. It feels like a family. In addition to good benefits, they also do extra things, like a Christmas party, Tides game, happy hours, etc. They also pay up to $2000 per year for continuing job-related education. It's pretty great.

Cons

HR has LOTS of room for improvement. Health benefits aren't very good and are very expensive. 401K match is only half of what you contribute up to 3%.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

"Meh..."

I have been working at Falconwood full-time

Pros

Small Business - Advancement Opportunities Prevalent

Cons

Above Average Turnover - Front Office / HQ Personnel Incompetent

"Shaky onboarding, iffy website, amazing company"

Current Employee - Devops in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Devops in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Falconwood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't know how to avoid sounding like a shill, but this is the best (and most challenging) job I've ever held at the best company I've ever worked. As long as you exceed the expectations of management, which is actually pretty easy to do, they'll leave you alone. This company definitely isn't for clock-punchers, though. You will work until your requirements are complete or your brain hurts (whichever comes first) then go home to recuperate. Sometimes I take half days. Some days I work through sunrise the following morning.

The biggest compliment I can pay to the company goes directly to Allie. She will stand on desks in the Navy Yard fighting for your job, and when that doesn't work... Let's just say I've seen her float a guy for six months until he could be re-homed. Work hard and she will take care of you.

Cons

Expense reports are a nightmare. Expect to miss two to three pay periods before being paid back. All my coworkers think medical and dental are expensive, but it's cheaper than Covered California and Obamacare, so while it could stand to come down, I don't feel there's much room to complain.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the website and lose the .biz! You have no idea how much potential talent you're losing when that talent googles us.

"Excellent Company, Excellent People (Prior Military)"

I have been working at Falconwood (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. Felt very comfortable from day 1. I would say most of the people here are very competent and definitely carry their own weight. Most Team Leads are very passionate of their work, supporting the fleet and they dont micromanage their people. I would highly recommend this company to friends and family. Very happy here.
    They offer tuition, match 401k, dental insurance included and pretty decent vacation time.

Cons

HR on-boarding process is painfully archaic,HR is dismissive and dont help you thru the process at all. They just email you dozens of documents "fill them out good luck". Luckily my Team helped me out. Now I hesitate to contact HR I try to solve my issues on my own.
    This company runs extremely lean so youll have to find reasons to get basic programs like Adobe PDF on your workstation.
    Health insurance for family is kinda expensive but I dont think thats the company fault since it went up for everyone as soon as the affordable health law was put in place.

Advice to Management

Management keep on doing what youre doing .....Perhaps update/improve the HR on-boarding process, train HR employees to be more friendly and caring. After all HR is the first impression of the company for new employees.

"Very bad"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

The company itself is good (i.e., solid pay, you get a laptop, etc). Corporate HQ isn't bad. The President (when she's there) is very engaging and helpful. No complaints there.

Cons

This review is targeted only toward my direct team lead and the working conditions at the client site.

I'll start with the working conditions. The fluctuating temperatures (low as 65/high as 95) made life very miserable. The bathroom situation is also disgusting/awful.

However, the worst part was my direct team lead. Aside from constantly talking down to me (i.e., dragging me outside to talk about his life story for 90 minutes, telling me he was a "prodigy" as a child, forcing his political beliefs on everyone), he would always poke into my personal life. For example, my 90-day review, which took an hour and a half, was spent telling me how I needed to bring my family to his upcoming BBQ. He said it was required that he meet my family to get a sense of who I am.

A few months later when my daughter was on life-support at the NICU, I sent a note requesting leave without pay. He then called me (while I was watching my daughter struggle to survive) to tell me he didn't feel comfortable with me taking leaving leave without pay and that he was sending me some documents to review. Not only the worst manager I've ever had, but also one of the worst people I've ever known. I hope Falconwood wises up and removes him immediately.

Advice to Management

I won't name names, but my former team lead needs to be removed from his position. At the very least, put him in an individual contributing role. This group has lost 4 people in the last 8 months - mainly due to his extreme ineptitude as a leader.