Family Christian Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Family Christian Stores President and CEO Chuck Bengochea
Chuck Bengochea

Pros
  • Many of the customers are great (in 16 reviews)

• Welcoming environment to work in (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • We were screamed at by the regional manager for not pushing people to commit to signing up for World Vision (in 27 reviews)

• Staffs jobs are threatened if they don't hit quotas but upper management tell you its not a threat of your job but you have to get the numbers or else (in 25 reviews)

1. "Sales Floor Leader"

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers and caring managers help make the work environment feel like a family. Getting to help customers grow in their faith is a humbling and rewarding experience.

Cons

You will have to work on Sundays, but the shift is shortened. The salary you start at is the salary you stay at unless you move into a management position.

2. "Ministry not work"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff so helpful and understanding of people's needs. A true flavor of ministry, and charges like the IDisciple App, Imprinting materials, and other costs go straight to various ministries. Customer discounts, coupons and employee discounts are excellent.

Cons

The pay is very low and few could actually live on it except perhaps Managers, and even then most don't make more than $10/hr. Regular staff make minimum wage to $8/hr. Thus, consider it a ministry and an outreach to people in your town/city.

Advice to Management

Find a way to incentive your staff. Most people simply don't want to do much for minimum wage, and find little motivation or investment in constantly given unreasonable goals.

3. "Operation Manager"

Current Employee - Operation Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Operation Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Family Christian Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Christian based environment promoting Christian materials

Cons

Metric based on supporting many non profit ministries outside of store

5. "Pay scale is not fair"

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's so cool and awesome just to be able to openly pray with guests, help them beyond just finding the right book and I've had 2 people come in that God gave them a word of knowledge for me.

Cons

Now that minimum wage went up the Managers in training, ICS, and Assistant Managers pay is the same as a regular employee. I get that it's a big jump BUT Family Christian is a huge company and it only affected 5 stores.

Advice to Management

Would you work a bigger position with more responsibilities for the same as a 16 year old at his/her first job. I've hear of companies where the big guys on top who make large salaries take a 5% paycut to help and show respect to their employees. No one is going to come off the street applying for management for the same pay as working a simple easy job. Tell me would you think it's fair if this happened to you? My guess would be probably not. But sure you still want us selling idisciple and getting imprints and refacing the store every month etc.. It hurts when companies don't care or hold on to their wallets so tight but keep telling you"but you work for missions". The thing is so do they. It just hurts and I feel like they don't care when we do so much and are the ones keeping the sales going. Don't get me wrong I love my job and what I do so incredibly much but am hurt that they just don't seem to have the love for their employees that the employees have for them and their store

6. "Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time

Pros

Overall the company is great. If you are looking for part time work, it is great. Management was great and truly cared about the employees and customers!

Cons

It is only part time and the only way to get full time is to be an assistant manager or store manager. The pay is very low due to the company being non-profit.

7. "okay place"

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time

Pros

if you have a smaller staff you get more hours.

Cons

idisciple is pushed way to much and metrics are way over the top and not even fair.

Advice to Management

stop pushing idisciple and start focusing on customer service!

8. "Honest Review"

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time

Pros

Great co-workers, positive environment, great relationships with customers.

Cons

No opportunity for full-time, even if you request it on application. Very little hours, not enough pay, and expected to push push push services that most customers have already tried or heard about. As well as poor management and little to no training!

Advice to Management

Need to train employees to know EVERYTHING that they will be doing in their job. Be more fair and understanding with hours. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AND THEIR CONCERNS!!

9. "Manager forced employees to work on average 1 he per shift off the clock with no compensation."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Ankeny, IA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Ankeny, IA

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customers and coworkers, nice day to day work flow along with (for the most part) a surgically cleanly environment.

Cons

Just because it's a Christian store doesn't mean ethical behavior is mandatory. There should be a tighter ethical committee oversight to make sure no management power is abused.

Advice to Management

Stay ethical.

"Floor leader, Sales associate, manegerial duties"

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working with people helping in anyway I could.

Cons

I didn't like how they tried to push sales so much and not try to help the customer yes everyone needs help great donations but not always someone wants to deal with that especially coming into christian store.

Advice to Management

I was rapidly moved from sales associate to floor leader then bank deposit and then opening and closing store.

"Shady"

I worked at Family Christian Stores part-time

Pros

Friendly environment and everybody comes in with a great attitude for the most part

Cons

Management is very petty and they don't know how to handle buisness. You are stuck at the 8.50/hr forever and there are no benefits for an employee unless you are management.