Glassdoor Alert: Attempt to Inflate Reviews

We have evidence that someone has taken steps to artificially inflate the rating for this employer in violation of our Community Guidelines. We have addressed the issue. Please exercise your best judgment when evaluating this employer. Learn more about Glassdoor Alerts.

Cover image for Family First Life
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Family First Life Employee Reviews about "buy leads"

Updated Dec 2, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 1,854 of over 2K reviews
4.0
75% Recommend to a Friend
86% Approve of CEO

Found 21 of over 2K reviews

4.0
Family First Life President Shawn Meaike (no image)
Shawn Meaike
1,318 Ratings

What people are saying about Family First Life

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Training is free and comprehensive!(in 320 reviews)
  • "Highest compensation in the industry(in 94 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and they truly care about their employees!(in 54 reviews)
  • "High Commission 90%(in 51 reviews)
  • "Great people in the leadership roles within the company who genuinely care about the agents and the clients.(in 51 reviews)
Cons
  • "Dialing the phones is not my favorite :( Long hours (if you want to be successful).(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Family First Life and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "buy leads"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

This company is a gem

Nov 23, 2021 - Life Insurance Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

The commission! I interviewed at 12 different life insurance companies and the majority of them offered 35-45% commission. Most of them also suggested I called my friends and family to make sales. Family first life really puts the agent first. Average commission of $1250 a sale is insane. This company has turned my life around financially. Plus the leads are so great. People are already interested and it makes selling so much easier.

Cons

Buying leads was a very hard concept for me to grasp when I just started. Investing 500-1000 dollars in leads scared me, but I knew a couple people in the company and they promised I would make my money back and they were right! $7000 paid in my first week

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not as “Pretty” as it seems

Dec 2, 2021 - Insurance Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Potential in select markets mainly mortgage protection given you can get solid lead source , VERY competir space. Will make money if team”leader”/recruiter or if Shawn Mike.

Cons

As many of you who are reading this review, I was brought to Family First Life by a friend (who just started at the time) with promises to make life-changing money. Super simple- buy leads, go meet people in their homes, sell them life insurance and get paid by the insurance carriers- that’s it! What a dream, ehh? Well, let me tell you, having gone through and come out the other side- that is not without a fight- there’s is more than what meets the eye…WAY MORE! What they don’t tell you is the hefty amount of money you got to spend first of all to buy the leads just to convert realistically 6-8 out of every 100 leads into appointments. That is at minimum 1500$, being very conservative because it is also very common to spend double that on the same amount of leads but taking the leads offered on their (FFL) CRM since they like to boast they offer among the cheapest real time leads, we’ll use FFL leads as reference. It’d be great if appointments = applications but of ofcourse not. After an exhausting day dialing for 12 hours, yes you heard that right 7am- 9 pm- you gotta burn through every number(call each 10-12 times throughout the day to get appointment conversion of 6-8%)- you gotta be up bright and early by 7 am to run your appointments until 9-10 pm driving at least 150 miles for the day just to get porched or no-showed at least half the time. That’s fine, now your foot is in the door for the next 3 to 4 appointments and you convert 2 to 3 of them for a very generous commission , I’m putting y’all in the best case scenario for 3500 AP. Now FFL loves to brag that they start you on 100% commission whatever that means you only see about 2400 of that money in commissions. Take out lead costs 1500- you made 900. Not too shabby at all, actually amazingly great…IF it stopped there. Now you gotta hold your breathe for 9 MONTHS to even clear ownership over that money because if individual cancels policy anytime in that 9 months after sign up- you now owe that commission back. 9 MONTHS.. let that sink in. Where in sales have you heard of a 9 month chargeback period given you are already invested money, effort and time into generating such business! Quick fact: over 50% of people have their their final expense life insurance policy-which is the kind of life insurance FFL sells-cancelled or lapsed on due to inability to pay or a competitor stealing your business or even a fellow FFL agent. Thought the leads were fresh and not recycled like they say? Me too! Now you went from making a profit to going in the negative just like that. Oh BTW you’re notified via a surprise cancellation email. So you’re in 1500, out 2400, walk away with 900 then couple months later you’re negative ~1000 from that one occasion of booking and running appointments. Whatever policies you sold on that occasion that make it out the other end of 9 months, you make the monthly premium up to month 12 as commission. I guess that’s what they refer to as 100% commission. The key is to race against the clock to buy more leads from the “borrowed” commission to keep the cycle going before you get the chargebacks for lapsed and cancelled polices. But wait there’s more, FFL loves to differentiate themselves as no contracts to hold you hostage- “come try it out and if you don’t like it you are free to go elsewhere.” As per writing, that’s true but they play a more sinister game to get you hooked. They make all their agents tied into a hierarchy system so not only can you build a team and make residuals which is how they like to advertise the tier system but also you would think one is resposnsible for their own actions- not here, if you can’t scramble to create chargeback money that came due months after you did your work and spent your own money in creating such work-they go after the guys above you for it and now you get threats sent out of nowhere demanding you come up with this money that you thought you earned but essentially you took out a short term loan as payment for the money you spent to acquire it (leads) and effort to convert those leads. So are you really making money? The short answer is for most not really. The only ones making money here are the recruiters/team “leaders”, who were agents one spell and soon realized what they were in for and pivoted to the only money-making approach in this entity which is recruiting, and the infamous Shawn Mike.They only make money and are never in a dime regarding the business you generate. YOU buy the leads with YOUR money and YOU go convert them and they make money when you do so.They could care less about chargebacks cause they were never in a penny to start with. It was free gain to begin with it. How can you loose money you never earned?Save yourself the waste of time and money and go find something more fulfilling and gauranteed. This “opportunity”is for some but not for most. I really wanted to believe what they made FFL to seem but after spending thousands in lead generation and running appointments for months, the numbers weren’t making sense at all. I lost money working this scheme.I do call it a scheme now because that’s what it is.

68 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Family First Life team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Training

Nov 24, 2021 - Insurance Broker in Dayton, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

So much trying for you to learn from in your free time

Cons

Buying leads can be challenging

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Beware

Nov 19, 2021 - Insurance Broker
    Business Outlook

Pros

You are truly independent here.

Cons

All upline cares about is if you buy leads. They resell the same leads over and over and over. They don’t tell you everything. They show the highlights but don’t tell you about chargebacks. They constantly push one particular company and that is actually the most expensive option for customers.

8 people found this review helpful

National Sales Director

We do not care if our agents buy leads. Most of our agents buy leads because they find it easier than doing their own prospecting or door knocking. However, we do not mandate that our agents buy from any of the lead vendors that we work with nor do they have to commit to any minimum spends. It is completely up to the agent. Every agent in the insurance industry understands that chargebacks are a part of the business. For an agent to say that they had no idea that chargebacks existed indicates a lack of effort put into training and becoming a student of the game. Lastly, we work with over 10 different carriers and trust our independent contractors to decide what would be the best fit for the client in the home.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Family First Life is an awesome opportunity

Aug 5, 2021 - Insurance Agent in Ashburn, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very helpful in getting you licensed. Training and the ability to communicate with those above you is first class. If you want to work hard and willing to put in the time, this opportunity can be lucrative.

Cons

Not really a minus, but you have to invest in buying leads. Be prepared to spend anywhere from $200 to $1000 per month to generate solid leads.

17 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee

ehh

Oct 5, 2021 - Field Underwriter
    Business Outlook

Pros

you get to be independent

Cons

too much emphasis on buying leads. was told to expect to spend $4-5K a week starting out.

4 people found this review helpful

National Sales Director

It is completely up to each individual agent how much they would like to invest in leads. We would never encourage a new agent to spend $4-5,000 on leads per week. Most of our top agents don't even spend that much. We'd be more than happy to speak with you and get to the bottom of who gave you that kind of messaging.

8. 3.0

Life Insurance Sales

Jul 7, 2021 - Life Insurance Sales in Menifee, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can choose your own work schedule, but you better make sure you are authorized to sell for the companies they appoint you too... They don't pay for leads and don't pay you hourly.

Cons

This company trys to rush people to get license inThis company trys to rush people to get license in their individual states and then makes them pay for leads to cold call and drive to door knock to make life insurance sales. They tell you that you are contracted with 14 companies but I was only contracted with 3 with no money because this was a new job and they made me pay for gas to drive far away and door knock. Got upset customers with me going to their door and only having 3 options not the whole 14 companies to choose from. I used my unemployment money to buy leads and gas with only one sale earned. their individual states and then makes them pay for leads to cold call and drive to door knock to make life insurance sales. They tell you that you are contracted with 14 companies but I was only contracted with 3 with no money because this was a new job and they made me pay for gas to drive far away and door knock. Got upset customers with me going to their door and only having 3 options not the whole 14 companies to choose from. I used my unemployment money to buy leads and gas with only one sale earned.

19 people found this review helpful

National Sales Director

Unfortunately , I don't think this reviewer understands how a commission based sales position works in the insurance industry. This is a not a good position for someone unless they are able and willing to pay for their own gas. If someone came to us and told us that was their current situation, we would advise starting on a part time basis so that they can find a w-2 position until their financial situation improves.

9. 5.0

Fantastic

Jul 29, 2021 - Insurance Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

High compensation, work for yourself, don’t have to recruit if you don’t want to.

Cons

Have to buy leads aggressively

Be the first to find this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Formerly Self-employed, less than 1 year

Total Scam Full of Liars

Aug 24, 2021 - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good concept but horrible company full of dishonest liars. They even tried to scam there way to post improper false reviews

Cons

They tell you buy leads $800 to $1,000 weekly take out a loan put on a credit card they don’t care their only goal is to get you to buy leads. Problem is these leads are trash 40% non working phone numbers - their instant leads are actually 30-60 days old sold to 4-5 other agents the list of problems with these leads are too many to list but biggest issue is no replacement no refund for the junk ones

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 4.0
    Current Employee

Business Opportunity

Jul 12, 2021 - Sales in Ocala, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Make your own schedule. High income potential

Cons

Buy leads that are often low quality. Hundreds or thousands of dollars in lead buying and it's a gamble on who will answer phone, who will set appointment, many leads are not open to buying insurance because they thought they clicked on a free program. It's definitely like gambling and you can win big but there's alot of variables. You can make a sale and then the customer cancels or doesn't get approved. But you can also make 6k in an hour at a house. And then you could go weeks making little. It depends on your work ethic, skill set, attitude and the amount of leads you buy/ quality of leads.

1 person found this review helpful